I'm saying it first

Crazy, Stupid, Love

 

 

The sun was beginning to shine a little brightly now. A long time had passed before Seungri could even gather himself up again. But just as he did, he wiped his face with his shirt. For the first time that morning, he looked up and met Suzy's eyes. Hers looked just as puffy as his felt. He glanced down at the sand and found the letter. He passed it to her wordlessly.

 

While Suzy read it, he continued staring out into the endless ocean. Thanks for writing me that letter, Hara. I needed it.

 

After Suzy finished reading it, she folded the letter and held it in her hand. She could only continue studying the wrinkled piece of paper that held so much unsaid words. The feelings between Hara and Seungri were more than she could take in. They were so pure and filled with love. It made her want to cry for the mere fact that their love had been wasted because she had to die at such a young age.

 

Seungri turned and looked back at her. He saw the tears in the corner of her eye. "You're crying," he said as he reached over and wiped them away with his thumbs.

 

"Why did she have to die?" Suzy asked, shifting away so he couldn't touch her. "You loved each other so much. It doesn't make any sense." She swiped at her eyes with her arm. "Doesn't it make you mad?"

 

He stared at her in disbelief. He hadn't known what to expect out of Suzy, but this reaction stunned him.

 

"The kind of love you shared with Hara, it's so special. It's a love that comes by once in a lifetime, Seungri," she murmured. "Why didn't she just tell you? You would have had so much more memories together."

 

When he caressed her cheek with his hand, she looked up, meeting his gaze.

 

"Can I have it?"

 

She passed the letter to him. He then stood, holding the letter in his hand, and walked to the shore. Seungri studied it for a long time. It was the last thing that remained of the past. He had to let go of it all now. He took a deep breath, feeling his heart being squeezed painfully again. But knowing Suzy was there was enough to give him the courage to say goodbye.

 

"Hara, I never got to say bye to you properly," he called out. "I'll do it now."

 

He let the letter fall into the water. A tear escaped and fell on his cheek. He wiped it away. Goodbye, Hara. He straightened and stepped back a few steps as he watched the piece of paper get carried away by the sea. Then he turned back.

 

Suzy was standing a ways away, her hands covering her face. Her shoulders were shaking.

 

He practically ran back to her and pulled her firmly into his arms. He held onto her as tightly as he could. She was the most precious person in his life now, and nothing, no one, not even Hara, was ever going to change that. He was going to do what Hara had said. His whole heart was Suzy's now.

 

"What are you feeling right now?" She managed to ask amidst her sniffles.

 

He looked down, shifted so he could study her face. With the way she was looking at him and with all that compassion in her eyes staring straight back at him, he couldn't help but lower his lips to kiss hers. "Why'd you come after me?"

 

"I didn't want you to cry alone."

 

It was like the heaviness in his chest disappeared with that single sentence. He didn't realize how badly he needed her to be there for him until now. "She loved me all this time and she didn't tell me."

 

"When you love someone with all your heart, you want them to be happy, no matter what. For Hara, all that mattered was you."

 

Seungri rested his forehead against hers. "It's a lot to take in."

 

She closed her eyes. "But you found what you were looking for."

 

"She told me to find it after she died but I never got the courage to look for it. It took me all this time," he admitted quietly.

 

"I didn't know if I should come here. I thought…it really wasn't my place to be here. I…was almost ready to give you up you know. Almost." She let out a small laugh, finally opening her eyes up to him. "When I let you go the second time, I was so lonely. Then I was sitting on my bed, realizing a lot of things while crying like a puppy dog. It didn't matter how I felt. All that mattered was you. I could picture you here, alone…probably crying too. I got so sad. Seungri, you know, I really…I lo-"

 

"I'm saying it first," he interrupted, cupping her cheeks. "I love you. Hara asked me in the letter if I was in love. When I read that, your face was all I could see."

 

She kissed him first this time. "You love me?" she asked when his lips travelled to her forehead, then to each of her eyelids, then to her chin. "I really love you. I've never said that to a man before."

 

He then kissed her on the mouth again. "That means I get to take the rest of your firsts, huh?"

 

"Don't say that so smugly."

 

"You know how badly flawed I am. I can be pretty dumb and say the wrong things. And this probably won't be the last time I make you cry, so I won't make any promises. You'll still love me though, right?"

 

"I probably will never understand you the way Hara did, but I'll love you even when you don't need me anymore," she offered, feeling her emotions come to the surface again.

 

He bonked her head lightly. "Stop with the tears already," he chided. When she could only giggle, he held her again, close to his heart.

 

Suzy turned her head so she could look over at the water. "Don't worry Hara. I'll do my best to make him happy."

 

Seungri looked down at her hair, catching the way the sunlight formed a halo at the top of her head. He couldn't have asked for anything more. All the pain, all the sorrow he'd experienced in his whole life were all replaced now with indescribable happiness. He'd never felt this happy to be alive.

 

"I love you, Suzy," he said, this time for himself.