Do you think it's selfish of me to want it all?

Crazy, Stupid, Love

 

Suzy walked across the street to reach Bora's house. Just as she stepped onto Bora’s porch, the door opened. Suzy glanced up. "Oh hello friend. I want to make fruit smoothies. Come with me." Bora took her arm and pulled her along to the nearest store. "If you came one minute late, you would've had to wait. I'm glad you came just in time."

 

"Was this a sudden decision of yours, to make fruit smoothies?" Suzy asked mildly.

 

"Yes. I was watching a commercial about it just now, while I was waiting for you. I started really craving it. So I have a favour to ask. Joon wants to take me to a dinner. I…obviously don't want to go alone with him. I can't even imagine what he might try to say or do if we go by ourselves. So, be our chaperone?" Suzy began to shake her head when Bora stopped her. "I'm really not ready for anything serious with him again. Please, do me this one big favour!"

 

While she wanted to decline, Bora looked at her pleadingly. "I...guess I can go," she answered slowly. "I can't say I'm excited about it, but…fine. I'll do it."

 

"I love you!" Bora hugged her tightly. "So now that that's out of the way, how goes things with Prince Seungri?"

 

At the nickname, Suzy chuckled. "He would really hate me if I said that to him. Maybe I'll slip it in once in a while. I don't know. I'm really happy. I still find it funny how everything worked out like that. The things that you expect to happen, don't. Then when you least expect something to happen, it comes straight at you." Her heart took a quick jump. "Not once in my wildest dreams did I expect to lov-…like…Seungri this much." The word meant too much and she was determined not to ruin anything in their relationship. Calling this 'love' between them was too fast, too unreal.

 

Bora studied her friend's face for a moment. It wasn't just in the words; she could see the happiness in Suzy's eyes. "I'm happy for you. See, what did I say? You have to give these things a try. If you hadn't, you would've missed out on him completely. So how is he as a boyfriend? Totally different from that man you used to hate?"

 

Suzy shook her head, still smiling. "The funny thing is… there are times when he still doesn't stop teasing me and he's still so sarcastic. I'm so used to that side of him that I'm beginning to think it's one of his charms. Then there are these moments when he's…so sweet and needy. I never thought he would be like that, but it makes me feel special when he acts that way."

 

"Like how?" Bora asked, already caught up in their love story.

 

"Mm…out of nowhere, he'll kiss me or hug me. Because I say something stupid or do something silly." Suzy's face flushed. "Yeah, I…"

 

"You're falling for him."

 

"Sometimes when I just look at him, I feel like I am," she admitted, almost to herself. "Though I've never fallen in love before, so I wouldn't know if this is really it. For him, I don't think he's ready for it yet. He's fallen in love before and…it didn't work out," She murmured the last words.

 

"He's had a first love, I assume. Most men do. Why? Don't tell me, he's not over her?" Bora demanded.

 

"Well, no, not exactly. Those aren't the right words. It's more like…" Suzy found it difficult to explain. "I think he wants to, but he can't. She died, Bora. I can't find the courage to bring her up. The last time he opened up to me about her, he looked like he was about to fall apart. He looked so devastated. It's like, thinking about her or remembering her still hurts him so much. I understand, or at least, I'm trying my best to," she continued.

 

"I never thought he would have that convoluted a love life," Bora commented. "It must have been really hard on him, trying to move on. I wonder if he ever got any closure..."

 

"He did say that he confessed and she didn't feel the same way. But when he told me a little of their memories together, I don't know, I have a feeling Hara loved him that way…just that she didn't want to tell him. Maybe I'm being paranoid."

 

Bora rubbed her arm in sympathy. "And he doesn't talk about her, right?"

 

"Mm…it's more like he never brings up the topic himself." With hesitation, Suzy said the words she herself dreaded to hear. "He really loved her, I can tell."

 

"And you're worried he won't be able to commit to you completely because of it."

 

"Maybe. I don't know. I feel…I feel this insecurity and-and selfishness. Do you know what I mean? Like I want all of him." With a rueful laugh, Suzy glanced up at her friend. "There's a part of him that will always be Hara's. Do you think it's selfish of me to want it all?"

 

"I think you love him, sweetheart," Bora offered. "The more you fall for someone, the more you want to know their life story. It's life. It's not wrong or selfish, honey." In comfort, she placed her arm over Suzy's shoulders. "It's just how the heart works."