nutrition freak

Crazy, Stupid, Love

 

 

Suzy grabbed several cans of sausage and fish from the shelves. Her monthly supply of groceries was seriously lacking and she had decided earlier that day that it was a good time to go grocery hunting. She only ever did it twice a month and when she did, it often ended up becoming a massive shopping spree.

 

At first the thought of inviting Daniel had come up, but despite a month of dating, there were too many ups and downs in their relatively fragile relationship that said they weren't at that stage yet. She wondered if she would ever get there with him. The last few weeks had been decent; Daniel did, after all, stop making promises he couldn't keep.

 

At work, there was no display of affection, as he was still her boss first and foremost. It didn't help that after hours were often spent in the meeting room with other executives. She hadn't realized how difficult it was to be the girlfriend of a highly ranked member of the company. Really, their month of dating didn't feel special; half the time she felt he wasn't even a boyfriend because he just wasn't around.

 

So now, instead of going on her own, she had asked Bora to go with her. At that particular moment, Bora had gone to find a book and left Suzy alone to finish up her groceries.

 

Walking aimlessly and her mind distracted, Suzy turned a corner in one of the aisles and accidentally hit another cart that jolted both her and the cart in front of her. The bags of vegetables and fruits from the other cart fell on the ground.

 

"I'm so sorry!" She quickly apologized, falling on her knees and grabbing them. "It was completely my fault, I'm really sorry!"

 

"No kidding." The familiar sarcastic voice made her stop. She slowly looked up, a bag of oranges in her hand, and met the annoyed stare from none other..... Seungri. "Wow. You're just as inept out in public, aren't you?" He shook his head in disapproval as he picked up the bag of bell peppers.

 

Suzy heaved a loud, deep breath. She gathered herself and stood up, wiping at the front of her jeans. "Oh well, it's just you then. I'm not sorry. I take it back."

 

Just as soon as he managed to grab all the items that had fallen on the floor, he turned back to her. "I can't believe how different you are around Daniel. What's that about?"

 

She crossed her arms in front of her chest and looked at him snootily. "What do you mean?"

 

"You act all innocent, feminine, and must I say, understanding, around him, when you're really not. Around me, you're excessively loud, impatient, and whiny."

 

"Okay, I am not loud or whiny, and I do so have patience. You're just an exception; a little prick at my side that just needs to be crushed out."

 

"That is so funny. I don't think I've ever heard you say anything as funny before." When she continued to glare at him, he chuckled then thumped the top of her head with ease. "You should be sorrier. You contaminated my food when you spilled them all over."

 

"Why?" She retorted. "They didn't fall out of the plastic bags." Suzy then circled over to his cart and examined it. Loads of vegetables and fruits, from mangoes to tomatoes to even broccoli filled the cart. "You are such a nutrition freak." It was interesting, though not completely surprising. She did notice his athletic build, much to her own self-denial. She then caught sight of two big boxes of cereal. "Fat-free, no sugar, incredibly low in calories. What kind of cereal is this?"

 

"The healthy kind." He grabbed the cereal box from her hand and studied it himself. "Look at all the nutrients and vitamins it gives." He let her take a look, then snatched it back quickly. "I didn't realize you're a spokesperson for all foods unhealthy and fattening, though." He pointed to her own cart full of chips, canned goods, instant noodles, and other cold, pre-packaged meals.

 

She followed his gaze, knowing full well how unhealthily she ate. For the life of her, she could not cook. She'd tried half-heartedly before, but never could get the taste and flavouring right. Suzy's father was a chef, but she hadn't inherited his passion for cooking.

 

"Okay, so I don't know how to cook," she admitted defensively. She caught the derisive look he sent her. "What? Don't tell me you know how."

 

"Hey, I cook delicious food." He said with confidence.

 

Stunned, she could only ask, "What kind of food?"

 

"Japanese, Chinese, some Italian." He grinned when he caught the look of astonishment in her eyes. "You haven't fallen for me now, have you?"

 

At that, she stopped for a quick moment, and then began to laugh scornfully, half out of spite and half out of mortification. "A man can dream." She returned to her cart. "You might be able to cook, but that's not all a woman looks for in a man."

 

"Suzy! I found it," Bora called, running over to her. As she reached Suzy, she was pleasantly surprised to find Seungri. "You."

 

"Bora, right?" He reached over to shake her hand. "So you're Suzy's date for the day. It's been a while since I've seen Suzy alone, after all. If it's not our boss, then it must be someone else."

 

Suzy made a sound under her breath.

 

"Yes, well, I heard they're having problems—"

 

"Bora, let's go," Suzy interrupted, hooking her arm through her friend's and forcefully pulling her along. "I'm done. Let's go pay!"

 

"Wait. I haven't seen Bora in a while. Why won't you let us catch up? We're friends too," Seungri interrupted, blocking Suzy's path with his cart. He smiled again at Bora. "Why have you been you hiding her anyway? Afraid we'd fall in love with each other and run away from you?"

 

Finding this exchange between Suzy and Seungri too adorable for words, she could only laugh. "That would be one crazy adventure," Bora agreed. "Don't get worked up, best friend. He didn't mean it."

 

Instead, Seungri patted Suzy's head again, this time more lightly. "It's okay, Bora. She knows I do. I'll leave first." He grabbed the handles on his cart and sent Suzy a reprimanding look. "Do me a favour and grab at least one fruit?" Then he nodded at Bora and made his exit.

 

Suzy repeatedly waved her closed fists in annoyance. "Why does he have to torment me like this? Is it really that funny to see me mad?"

 

Bora nodded, seeing the frustration in Suzy's face and wanting to pinch her cheeks for it. "Yes! Because you're so cute!" She gushed and gave her a brief hug. "You get so worked up over the littlest things, Suzy. It's not hard to tease you at all." She then took over the cart and began pushing it towards the counter. "So anyway. I found the book."

 

Suzy turned back slightly and saw the back of Seungri's head. She knew she was entirely too sensitive, but Seungri was always being so annoying, so it wasn't totally her fault for overreacting. It had become an everyday routine, their constant bickering, that she couldn't not get angry with him. Otherwise…it just wouldn't be as fun.