it's time to ended

Crazy, Stupid, Love

 

 

Two and a half hours past noon, Suzy looked herself over for the fiftieth time on her full-length mirror. When he called about the date at 11:30, he said he would be there in an hour. So what was this? And he didn't even call to let her know what was going on.

 

What irritated her most was that she had actually hurried home. She took a shower, straightened her hair, put on makeup, spent a lot of time putting clothes on and taking them off, and basically working hard to find a good outfit that he would find classy enough.

 

When she sat back down on her couch, she didn't really know what she felt. It was a mixture of emotions; anger was there for sure, and disappointment. In the midst of it, she felt a sense of worthlessness settle in. She couldn't have been more disenchanted by it all. All her expectations, he hadn't met them. Every upsetting moment made her feel like she truly did have markedly high expectations in a man.

 

Deciding to finally give up, she got up to change back into her comfort sweats. Just then, the knock on the door came. Having lost all anticipation for this date, she languidly walked to the door and opened it.

 

As though he wasn't late, he caught her in a tight hug then revealed a huge bouquet of white tulips. "You look amazing, darling. I went to buy these just before coming here. I meant to arrive as soon as I could, but who would have guessed how dreadful traffic would be today?"

 

"It's Saturday," she said incredulously. Weekends hardly called for traffic on the road. "What are you talking about?"

 

Daniel's brows rose in surprise at her tone. "I came straight from the airport and I…guess there was a big accident on the main highway. I was in my car for a while. Aren't you going to take them?" He asked, referring to the flowers she hadn't accepted.

 

Suzy didn't even force a smile as she grabbed the bouquet and walked to the kitchen. Why was nothing his fault? Whether or not he apologized, it never seemed to be his fault. He was always the victim. Goddammit. Why was the cellphone invented anyway? One good reason, she was sure, would be to call whoever was waiting for you to let them know where you were.

 

She took her time preparing the vase and cutting the stems to place the flowers in it. The tulips were great. They were lovely, like every other friggin' flower out there. But why, she thought with exasperation, would he bother stopping somewhere to buy her flowers when he was already late in the first place? She would have preferred that he come as fast as he could.

 

When she went back to the living room, he was studying her walls. Suzy loved the water. There were three enlarged picture frames hanging on her living room walls; one was a picture of a waterfall, another of a peaceful-looking beach, and the last of a distant green island surrounded by an ocean.

 

"You seem to have a fascination for water," he commented, looking back at her with a quizzical smile. "It's a unique trait."

 

Surprised to still find some patience, she nodded. "Yes, I feel at peace when I look at them."

 

"That's lovely." He then turned to her. "I must say, though, the pictures don't quite match the color scheme of your walls or your furniture." Why did the words sound so disapproving? Suzy frowned as he continued, "If you prefer trivial things like these pictures, you should have picked a lighter color for your wall. The contrast is hard on the eyes, I have to admit." Daniel then turned back to her with that smile she used to find so incredibly charming. All she wanted to do now was to wipe that smile off his face.

 

How dare he judge and belittle what she liked? Trivial things? He knew nothing about her.

 

As Suzy stared at him speechlessly, she felt completely fooled. He wasn't any kind of prince at all. He wasn't even worth calling a decent man. He was a self-absorbed, self-righteous man who cared about one thing – himself. How ironic that she fell for it all too easily. Why didn't she see it? There was nothing beyond the physical appearance whatsoever.

 

Finding the right words this time around, Suzy faced him. "Daniel. I think it's time this ended."