I guess I just…got jealous

Crazy, Stupid, Love

 

 

Friday mornings were a pain. It was the end of the week and people still had to wake up early and work like a slave for 8 hours. It wasn't a surprise that on the last day of the week, every worker was more agitated and less able to focus on what needed to be done. Suzy was no exception. In fact, she was quite the example of what a lacklustre worker would be on a Friday. After two weeks of hell, she just wanted two days to clear her mind and start afresh.

 

When she got into the office building, Suzy mentally counted the number of deadlines she had to meet by the day's end. Even before stepping foot into her floor, she could feel her stress level rise. While in the midst of deciding what project to tackle first, something caught her eye. Seungri was laughing with a female co-worker Suzy recognized to be Clara. She was one of the newer employees working a floor above theirs.

 

She didn't know why it irked her, watching Clara lean nonchalantly against the divider between her and Seungri's desk. Suzy pursed her lips and decided to act civil, even though the sight of the two of them flirting so transparently in public brought a slight feeling of antipathy in her heart.

 

"Good morning."

 

Seungri and Clara turned. "Good morning, Suzy! Oh, is this your desk? Sorry," Clara laughed in apology as she grabbed the coffee cup she'd placed on Suzy's desk.

 

After a pause, Suzy looked up and sent her a small, vague smile. "That's fine."

 

Seungri watched her carefully. She was lying and she was annoyed. He'd been her seatmate for far too long not to be aware of that. Wondering what it was bothering her this time, he asked out of concern, "How are you feeling?"

 

"Like a million bucks." The reply was short. Suzy felt like hitting her head against the wall. Why was she so bad at faking her emotions? Even with Daniel, she couldn't even keep up that feminine, innocent image for one day. Her attempt at civility was failing right now and she knew that Seungri knew it.

 

Seungri studied her expressionless face for another moment, then turned to face Clara. "So I'll pick you up at 8 then."

 

Unaware of the underlying tension between Seungri and Suzy, Clara beamed, all too excited for the date. "Yes, definitely! See you later, Suzy."

 

"Woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?" He said just as Clara disappeared from their sight. His thumbs hooked in his pockets, Seungri leaned against her cubicle wall.

 

She spared him a glance while turning on her computer. "It's Friday and Daniel gave me, oh just about more than I can handle for today." She bent down and grabbed a highlighter and paperclips from the bottom drawer of her desk. As she remained quiet, Seungri stayed in his spot. Still annoyed, the words came out of her before she could filter them. "Since when did you start liking her anyway?"

 

A brow rose. "That's not really any of your business, is it?"

 

"I know that. But it's so unfair! You're just throwing it in my face, aren't you? You just want to prove that you are better at relationships than I am."

 

He stared to the point of almost glaring. "Since when did I need to prove anything to you?" What crawled up her ? For her to accuse him of doing something so spiteful was insulting. He actually tried to be a friend this whole time.

 

She caught his narrowed gaze, expectantly waiting for an explanation, and felt the guilt slap her in the face. Why was she in such a bad mood? Suzy cowered from his gaze, gave off a small sigh, then hung her head. "Sorry. I…I'm just stressed and...okay…I guess I just…got jealous."

 

The look Seungri sent her made Suzy jump up in defense. "Not jealous of her; of you," she clarified quickly, shaking her hands in front of her. No, she refused to believe that she was jealous of that girl. "The whole thing with Daniel really made me feel so hopeless, you know? Like I'll never find anyone out there again! And today, I see the two of you starting up something and I can't help but…" She pouted, depressed again.

 

At the sight of that child-like expression, Seungri grew amused. "It's just a date, you know." He said as the corners of his mouth tilted up. "Not a marriage."

 

Suzy scowled. "Don't mock me."

 

"Hey, you're the one making this out to be some kind of epic love story." When she wasn't looking any better, he added, "I was just looking for some company tonight. Figured Clara would be up for it, since she's been obvious and clingy."

 

Suzy felt worse. Despite those mean words she'd said to him, Seungri always seemed to wave them off and forgive her. "Sorry Seungri." She repeated once more, offering an apologetic smile. "That was really low of me to say. You've been nothing but a friend."

 

Seungri stared at her face blankly then looked away. He'd seen all kinds of smiles from her, but recently, they were affecting him differently. Stop it, his mind interjected. This is exactly why he needed to go on a date with another woman. Thinking of Suzy in that way, in the way that a man thought of a woman, was just wrong.

 

"Have fun tonight," she offered as he walked back to his desk.

 

He nodded absently. "Go out with Bora tonight or something."

 

"I don't know. I actually like staying at home on Friday nights," She admitted with a quick laugh. It sounded so pathetic, but it really was the truth. But funny how, despite how often Seungri made fun of her, she didn't think he would ridicule her for being that way.

 

And just as she thought, he said nothing and merely watched her, smiling ever so slightly.