Don't regret

Crazy, Stupid, Love

 

 

About an hour or two after dinner, Suzy suggested taking a walk along her neighbourhood. Seungri agreed, wanting to spend more time with her before heading home. It had been a long dinner and considering it was Suzy's first time cooking those dishes, the flavours had been a little bland. Still, the fact that she'd gone through all that work for him tugged strongly at his heart.

 

As they crossed the street, she moved closer and held onto his arm instinctively. "Want to play a game?"

 

"Do I have a choice?" She elbowed him hard. "I would love to," he corrected himself.

 

"You tell me one of your favourites then I'll tell you mine. It can be any kind of favourite and I have to guess what kind it is by replying with what mine would be. Do you get it?"

 

"Ah…wait, so after I first tell you my favourite, say, instrument, then you tell me yours? And after that, you start with something else you like?"

 

"Exactly. You go first."

 

Out of all the women he'd been with, this was the first time he felt young again, indulging in something that was unquestionably sweet and innocent because of her. "Ah…let's go with something easy. Summer."

 

"That's too easy, Charming. Spring."

 

"Don't be unfair. I didn't call you a corny nickname," he quickly argued, earning another hard slap on the arm. "Fine. Let me guess, because of the sakura trees?" He asked good-naturedly, glancing down at her.

 

She met his gaze. "You're a smart one, Seungri." She angled her head in thought. "Hmm...oh I know, waves at the beach."

 

Seungri thought for a moment. "I'm sort of going on a limb here, since that sounds really ambiguous. The sizzling of food when it's being cooked?"

 

"Yeah!" She cheered happily. "We're making a nice connection."

 

"Hmm…let's see, exercise."

 

"Pfft, that's not challenging. It's obvious how much you love to work out on your free time."

 

"Is that a compliment or an insult?" He asked absently.

 

"For me, it's a tossup between watching romantic comedy movies and reading romance novels." When he laughed wryly, she scowled. "What? I'm a woman. We love seeing romance happen between two people. It's sweet."

 

He led her to a park bench by a flower bed. As they sat down, he studied it. It was filled with different kinds of flowers planted in a unique pattern. It was a nice and warm night too. The stars were out, which made it all the more romantic. With other women, he never used to notice these things. Why they mattered when it came to Suzy, he didn't know.

 

Suzy remained quiet for some time. When she felt his eyes on her, Suzy's gaze lifted. "My mom loved tulips. I remember my dad always buying different coloured tulips every Sunday. She really liked having flowers at the center of the dining table." Suzy felt warmth settle in her heart.

 

"Do you take after her?"

 

Suzy nodded, smiling. "My dad used to find it hard to look at me because it reminded him too much of her. I guess… it was just her time. It's hard to think about that part of her life. You know, the part about it ending so suddenly. I don't know, for me, I felt like I was lucky to be really young when it happened. Not really understanding it and not really feeling the pain in the same way that my dad or brother did." Suzy looked at him. "Or you."

 

Seungri studied the flowers. "Yeah, worst feeling in the world."

 

Encouraging him a little, she murmured, "Tell me."

 

He shrugged. "It's like…you have no choice in the whole thing. You're left behind and you can't change it. Time can't rewind. You know how when you mess up or make a mistake, you immediately start thinking up ways to fix it or figure out how to get out of it?"

 

Suzy nodded. "Mm…like at work."

 

"Yeah exactly. But when someone important to you dies… you can't do anything about it."

 

She could see how hard it was for him to even let those words out. In comfort and support, she took his hand.

 

"You know, I wish I was over it. I really wish I was," he repeated. He then looked over at her, caught the sympathy and understanding in her eyes. Because thinking of Hara always seemed to ruin his mood, Seungri looked away. He didn't have to see Suzy's face to know this was hurting her. "It would have been better if I didn't have this kind of past, right?"

 

The question, she knew, wasn't so much as directed to her as it was towards himself. Instead, she shook her head, almost comprehending the degree to which Seungri had loved this girl. "Don't regret," she murmured, though there was something inside her heart that felt hollow. "Part of the reason why you're the Seungri I know is because of her, so…don't regret."