"It's your fault"

Crazy, Stupid, Love

 

 

Suzy put on a beaten-up, old pair of jeans and a black hooded sweatshirt. There was a convenience store a few miles away and so she was headed there to buy the ice cream and chips that a slightly drunk Bora was yelling at her to get. While it was only 10pm, Bora had come into her apartment building three hours earlier, upset and stressed out about work and men. The woman had brought her with some alcohol, and within that three-hour period, Bora had soloed it all.

 

Suzy, meanwhile, wasn't a fan of drinking. She vaguely remembered a night in her late teens where she'd taken in a little too much and ended up puking all over the open street. It was the worst memory of her life and she hated reliving it.

 

Suzy shoved her hands into her sweater pockets and looked up at the clear night sky. It wasn't that common to see hundreds of flickering bright stars, so this night must be a special one, she mused. That night when she'd confessed to Daniel, the sky looked just like this. She remembered truly believing that night that her fairytale story was actually beginning. Not even two months later, it was sad to realize that she had been too naive over the entire ordeal, exactly as Bora and Seungri had warned her.

 

Suzy let her gaze drift from the sky to the sidewalk. Seungri seemed more complicated than Daniel. He'd been supportive and comforting and exactly what she needed. Other times, he was his normal, sarcastic self that she was so accustomed to. And then there were the rare moments when he became so silent and detached from the rest of the world. There was sadness in him that she couldn't quite pinpoint. Discovering all these sides to Seungri pulled at her, making her more curious and worried at the same time. Curious because she wanted to know who he really was; worried because the image of Seungri in her mind was changing, in the way that the more she thought of him, the more her heart felt uneasy.

 

Inside the quiet and empty store, she grabbed a small tub of rocky road ice cream and two large bags of potato chips. Suzy glanced up when the door opened and a couple came in. Unable to help her gaze, she watched them as they kissed. Her eyes darted to their intertwined hands then back to the way they laughed at what the other said. She couldn't help the loneliness that began to fill her.

 

Suzy left the store, feeling a little more glum than when she'd come in. Because it was already late at night, only a few cars drove through the streets. She glanced up at the night sky again. Such a romantic night and she was all alone. Even Seungri must be having the time of his life with Clara. Hmph.

 

As she turned a corner, a car honked behind her. Startled, she jumped and looked over her shoulder, squinting against the headlights. Amidst the brightness of the lights, she saw a familiar face. Seungri sat behind the wheel, his hand up in a sign of acknowledgement. Her heart erratically pounded in her chest. How did he just suddenly show up out of nowhere when she was just thinking about him? Suzy swallowed instinctively as she walked over to the driver's side.

 

"What are you doing out here?" The passenger seat was empty.

 

"Clara apparently lives around here. I just dropped her off." Seungri glanced down at her plastic bags. "More junk food?"

 

Suzy immediately hid the bags behind her. With defiance, she answered, "So what if they are?"

 

He shook his head slightly. "Get in. I'll drive you home."

 

It didn't help calm her nerves that he was staring at her like that. Because of it, she couldn't register anything he'd said. "What?"

 

"Get in," he repeated. "Your house is around here too, right?"

 

She blinked in astonishment. "Huh? Oh no. No that's fine. Don't worry about it. It's like...a fifteen-minute walk. It's really close." Why couldn't she think straight, goddammit. Her blood rushed to her face the next time their eyes met. "Go ahead Seungri. I'll be fine."

 

When she remained standing there, looking so uncertain and nervous, he got out of the car. Her heart stopped. She helplessly watched as he walked over to her, grabbed the bags from her hands, threw them at the back seat and turned back towards her. Still at a loss for words, she let him take her arm and push her into the passenger seat. When he settled back down in the car, her hands fumbled with the seatbelt.

 

The drive to her house took only minutes, but it seemed endless. The silence was deafening. Neither knew what to say or how to explain what just happened.

 

Suzy looked over at her building, then carefully glanced back at Seungri. Just at that exact moment, he looked over at her. Her head turned forward, breaking the gaze right away. Her face still burned. Why did she just do that? Why was her heart pounding so hard? She could hear every single beat, echoing in her ears. She'd never been this nervous before, ever. Not even around Daniel.

 

Meanwhile, Seungri let out a quiet sigh, wanting to shake off his own anxiety. For some reason, he felt like he was sixteen again. It had been a long time since he felt this tense around a woman.

 

"I just spent the whole night on a date with some woman," Seungri began. "We had dinner, walked around by the river and she even invited me over to stay for the night," he continued, partly talking to himself. "I was going to stay. I was."

 

Jealousy shot through her, which helped to dissipate her nerves. "Why didn't you?" She asked indignantly.

 

He looked back at Suzy, waiting until she looked back at him.

 

"W-what? Why do you keep staring at me like that? It's making me very uncomfortable."

 

"It's your fault," he muttered. With a frustrated sound, he got out of his seat. Suzy's eyes followed him as he grabbed the bags from the backseat, walked around the car to her door, and opened it. "Get out." She couldn't even find a quick comeback to that rudeness. "Good night."

 

Suzy frowned; more confused than she was when he'd just found her. "Wait a minute." She interrupted, reaching to grab his arm before he could walk away. Because he'd taken such a far step, she ended up holding his hand. With as much force as she could gather, she forced him to turn back around.

 

"What?" He asked in an annoyed tone.

 

She dropped his hand quickly and demanded with authority, "Look, I don't know what happened between you and her, but I had nothing to do with it. How is the fact that you're not sleeping with her tonight my fault?"

 

"Forget it. Do me a favour and just forget everything I said."

 

"No," she interjected stubbornly. "Explain. What happened?"

 

As he studied her, he felt a lot of unwelcome emotions, all convoluted inside.

 

"You were in my head," he said with aggravation. "So when I saw you tonight...it was annoying. I've never been more annoyed that you showed up out of nowhere like that. Look...I don't know what any of it means, so don't ask me to explain any more than that."

 

Suzy, for the third time that night, was simply floored.

 

"I'm going," he said resolutely and walked away from her.

 

When the car drove away, Suzy stood frozen at the front of her building. Her heart was still shaken. She took a deep breath and forced herself to move. She turned around and marched back into her building. No, it's not possible, she thought. What Seungri meant by those words…it couldn't be. He probably meant that she became so bothersome that he couldn't get her out of his head.

 

It's not because he sees you that way, she said to herself with conviction. That's not possible in this world, Suzy. Stop dreaming it.