She beat me to it

Crazy, Stupid, Love

 

 

Seungri studied Suzy from behind. She had been staring at her computer blankly for the last fifteen minutes. Even when he'd nudged at her chair, there was no response. What was going on in that brain of hers? It was almost 5pm, but she hadn't packed any of her things.

 

Having finished all his work early that day and having thought this through all night, he decided to get it over with. Ask her out, he had decided after a horrible, sleepless night. One dinner. See how it goes. If it was awful, then that was it. God, he hoped it would turn out terrible. If not, he was screwed.

 

Since she brought him to that place at the park, it almost became impossible not to think about her. A day after that, he broke it off with Clara as planned and despite her desperation, he bluntly said the truth. Better to walk away now, he said. There was nothing there. Not when his mind was stuck on another woman.

 

A little antsy at Suzy's lack of response, he stood up, walked around her cubicle, and stood right in front of her view. Leaning over the wall, he asked, "Are you okay right now?"

 

She jumped in surprise. "What?"

 

"It's already 5. Aren't you done your work?" He asked, glancing down at her desk.

 

"Oh." She blinked several times and saw all the unfinished paperwork. She estimated having spent half the day spacing out and thinking. She got no work done. "Oh no, I didn't get…this finished," she mumbled, looking down at one of the assignments she had to do. "Crap."

 

"What's with you today?" He went around again, looked over her shoulder at the big pile of papers she had in her hand. "Uh…that's due at 6. Give me half." He grabbed a bunch from her and walked back to his desk. "I'll help you. We might get this done on time if you stop daydreaming like a damn school girl."

 

She stared after him. "What are you doing?"

 

He looked back at her, annoyance clear in his eyes. "Daniel will kill you if you don't hand this in by 6. I'm done all my work, so let's just finish this."

 

Her heart in disarray after that small act of kindness, Suzy stared up at him helplessly. "Why are you helping me out?"

 

He shrugged. "I have time."

 

"Let's go for dinner after." Afraid to look him in the eye, she twisted around so her back faced him. After a silent pause, she asked tentatively, "okay?"

 

While he was studying the first page, he let out a small smile. She beat me to it, he thought. "Sounds good."