the pain was still there

Crazy, Stupid, Love

 

 

"Did you get my message? I want to go to the beach tonight. I wanted to tell you something important."

"Yeah I'm free. Why do you look so worried?"

"Hmm? No, I'm…it's nothing! Just that, it's really important, that's all. Make sure you come on time! I don't like waiting."

"I always leave on time. It's not my fault the bus is late."

"Don't make excuses with me. You can always check the bus schedule, can't you? I mean it, Seungri. Be there on time? For me?"

"Stop worrying already Hara. I'll be there, I'll be there."

 

Seungri woke to the sound of loud raindrops splattering against the windowpanes. With blurred eyes, he sat up and absently looked at the grey clouds covering the sky. Autumn had finally arrived and gloomily so. It was usually at this time in the year where he dreamed more and more of Hara. Of course, since this was around the time that she passed away. He remained still in his bed, staring blankly at the ceiling. Though a lot of time had gone by, the pain was still there, hovering above his chest. It came especially when he dreamed of her too.

 

When his phone rang, Seungri picked it up and squinted to see the caller ID. Suzy – Princess -. A small smile came onto his face. Thinking of her never failed to make him feel better. He'd given her the nickname on his cellphone after that conversation they'd had about prince charmings.

 

"Hey."

 

"Hi." . "This is Bora's fault," she managed before going on a coughing fit.

 

He sat up immediately. "What the hell happened to you?"

 

"She wanted me to go out with her and her ex-boyfriend, her first love. Well, I know Bora still loves him, but she doesn't want to admit it. Anyway, it's a long story. We ended up staying so late last night and I didn't get home until past one…then I woke up at 5 because I couldn't stop coughing."

 

After hearing the third set of coughs, he stood, a little annoyed. "Why aren't you taking care of yourself better? Dammit, Suzy." He grabbed a change of clothes from his drawer and his towel hanging on the back of his door. "I'll be there in half an hour."

 

"What? No, you don't have to-"

 

He hung up the phone and took a quick shower.

 

Suzy frowned up at him as she took two coughing pills and downed them with water. He continued giving her the reprimanding stare, even as she gathered herself at the corner of the couch, tucked within a thick blanket.

 

"I only have a cough, not a fever."

 

"It leads to a fever if you don't take care of it properly." He sat down beside her. "Since we met, you've never gotten sick. How'd you get so weak?"

 

Suzy moaned in annoyance. "I don't know. My head hurts from coughing too much."

 

He studied her flushed face and her watery eyes. She looked so vulnerable and it was an incredibly unfamiliar sight. Despite the fact that she wasn't looking her best, an odd feeling coursed through him. That same feeling that he felt when he kissed her the first time or when she'd run into the office looking like a wet puppy dog. The fact that she was sick and carrying some ugly virus should have turned him off, but instead, he pulled her into his arms and held her tenderly.

 

"Sorry, this is the best I can do."

 

Though she was about to protest, she was too exhausted to push him away. "You shouldn't be so near me, Seungri…I'm going to get you sick too." She closed her eyes and burrowed in the warmth of his body. "But I'm really happy you came."

 

"You knew I'd come if you called," he accused lightly.

 

She shook her head. "I didn't want you to though. I'm getting sleepy."

 

"Take a nap. I'll be here."

 

Seungri glanced up at the clock and noted that it was just past noon. Thankfully he and Suzy had eaten an hour earlier with a healthy lunch that he'd prepared. He glanced down at the light brown bob of hair under his chin. Unable to help himself, he pressed his lips to the top of her head, feeling the pulsing warmth of her skin. He rubbed her arm several times in comfort.