so why would she be an exception?

Crazy, Stupid, Love

 

 

Suzy put down her bag on her desk. "Good morning," she greeted.

 

Seungri, absorbed completely in the extra pile of work that he'd been given in the last hour, jumped in his seat. Seungri looked over his shoulder and caught a quick peek of her. "Morning."

 

"Busy already?" She glanced at his computer screen.

 

"Yeah. Last night, we got all these calls that saying something went wrong in the delivery and clients are panic about not getting their orders on time. All I really know is Daniel's got me doing a lot of extra workload today." When that faint scent of flowers wafting in the air again, he couldn't stop himself. He turned in his seat and faced her. He subtly looked her over, the way men easily did without effort. Then he noticed the small bag that kept swinging back and forth in her hands. "What's that?"

 

"Hmm?" She hadn't realized she was still holding it. "Oh." Embarrassed that she was caught, Suzy absently scratched at the back of her head. "Well…since you paid for all that food the last few times we went out," she brought the bag level to her eyes and patted it. "I…tried cooking and made some food for you."

 

The rush of pleasure came at him before he could block it out. Knowing her lack of culinary skills, the fact that she'd spent time in the kitchen and prepared something for him suddenly made him happy. He stood up right then and grabbed the bag from her hand. "Is it edible?"

 

The happy look on her face soured. "Just because I'm no good in the kitchen doesn't mean I would offer you inedible food," she muttered, giving him a shove. "Besides you don't have to eat it if you don't want to. I was merely trying to be a good person," she sniffed, turning her back on him.

 

"Thanks," he called out from behind as he watched her walk back to her cubicle.

 

When he sat back down, he bore holes at the white paper bag. Even from where he was sitting, he could smell roasted beef and fried seafood. He couldn't get his mind around it – why she would bother to cook it for him in the first place. He could count in one hand the number of people who actually did things for him to make him happy his entire life. There weren't many. So facing this now, he didn't exactly know how to react. Suzy was…willing to go through all that effort for him, though he'd done nothing to deserve it.

 

Argh. This was frustrating. He didn't like thinking about his feelings. It was too messy and almost always led him to make very bad decisions. But with how things were going right now, it was hard to ignore it.

 

Seungri released a breath as he leaned forward. So he had feelings for her. He was aware of that. They weren't superficial, but all he really knew was that he didn't want to just play around with her. It was more than that at least. The realization brought along a huge sense of dread. The last time he let a woman in, she died.

 

And suddenly, it was like the rest of him was trying to catch up to his brain. His thoughts were leaping from one idea to another, and within seconds, a worrisome realization sunk in. Suzy would leave too. Of course she would. If he let her in, she would leave just like everybody else who was special to him. No one ever stayed, so why would she be an exception? He straightened up in his seat. Focus back on your work, Seungri, he reminded himself strictly. But even as he stared intensely at the folder in front of him, the words on the front page wouldn't register.

 

He clutched his forehead. The panic wouldn't go away. Seungri's gaze shot to the white paper bag again. Dammit. Then, as though feeling trapped, he made a swift and careless decision. He couldn't pursue this. He wouldn't let this – whatever it was between them – develop into anything special. He couldn't afford losing her.