You lost, fair and square

Crazy, Stupid, Love

 

 

Suzy wiped her eyes with her sleeve as she cut the onions into long, thin slices. While enduring the stinging pain at the backs of her eyes, she muttered a curse under her breath. Why she was stuck with making dinner for them on this wonderfully warm and dry Friday night, she didn't know. They'd argued about it for a while; she wanted to go out for dinner, willing to pay for it all too, but he refused several times and demanded, not requested, that she cook him dinner. It had come down to a rock-paper-scissors contest, one in which she'd lost. And now, she was standing in her kitchen, making two new dishes for the very first time, while he, her lazy boyfriend of two and a half weeks, was watching her from the dining table.

 

"Don't cry," Seungri spoke up. "You lost, fair and square."

 

Without looking at him, she called out, "Why are you so persistent about making me cook? I don't even like the food I make, so how can you?"

 

"There's something gratifying about having someone put a lot of effort to cook for you." He got on his feet and walked around the counter to stand right behind her. "Besides…you look really good in the kitchen."

 

Her heart tripped. "Seungri, move back," she warned.

 

"No." He s his arms around her waist and bent down. Before she could elbow his stomach, he planted a small kiss on the nape of her neck. He'd been staring at that spot for over half an hour and finally couldn't resist.

 

She sighed quietly. It was getting harder to push him away, especially now that she found herself always looking for him too. When he glanced over her shoulder at the array of vegetables she'd cut up, he reached over and grabbed a piece of carrot from the pile.

 

He moved around her and leaned the side of his body against the counter. "Why are you sniffling?" He asked with a chuckle.

 

She frowned. "The onions. I'm sensitive."

 

"Poor baby." He wiped the trace on her right cheek.

 

Suzy moved the onions onto a small bowl then pushed Seungri slightly out of the way to grab hold of the thawing chicken. "What do I get in return?"

 

"For cooking me dinner?" He pretended to think for a moment. "I guess I could do whatever you want to do tomorrow."

 

She smiled at that, her eyes brightening. "Really?"

 

"But be sensible. You don't want me around when I'm irritated and impatient," Seungri said quickly to cover his bases. As much as he wanted to make her happy, there were limits in what he was willing to do in order to make that happen.

 

"I want to go shopping. I have a few things I want to buy…like…"

 

"I hate shopping."

 

"Well, that's just too bad." Suzy walked over to the stove and checked on the soup that had already been simmering for twenty minutes. When she walked back to where he was standing, she smiled shrewdly. "You're making me cook dinner on a Friday night…something I've never done in in my life…so you'll do whatever I want tomorrow."

 

Amused by it, he grabbed her again. "Kiss me and I'll do it."

 

She stared him down. "I don't have to do anything."

 

When he continued staring without saying a word, she couldn't resist and pushed off her toes just so she could reach him. A smile broke out on his face just before her lips landed on his. Their eyes closed simultaneously, as their lips rubbed in a slow and gentle way. During these moments, it was like the rest of the world disappeared and there was only the two of them. Their hearts beat in unison, at a pace slightly faster than usual.

 

He flicked her bangs playfully. "I like you kissing me."

 

She reddened, pushing him back again. "Go away and let me finish cooking."

 

He laughed, knowing her too well. He considered that he would probably never get tired of teasing her, simply for the fact that she became that much cuter when embarrassed.

 

Now alone in the kitchen, she was reminded of the last time a man had stepped foot in her house. Daniel, she recalled, had made fun of her choice of color on the walls and found her interests unique and trivial, belittling them. It was a little traumatizing, she had to admit. Squeezing her lips together, Suzy glanced over her shoulder at Seungri, who was reading a magazine at the dining table.

 

"Seungri."

 

He grunted in response.

 

"What do you think of my place?"

 

Seungri glanced up, surveyed the room, took note of the enlarged pictures on the walls, and looked back at her. "I like it. The pictures you hung up are incredible. It kind of makes me appreciate the world a little more…how beautiful it can be, I mean. Your place is nice and small, but big enough for two people, so I have no complaints."

 

She threw him a contented smile. "I'm glad you think so. What about my choice of wall colour?"

 

"Eh? Wall colour?" He took note of the mustard yellow shade in the living room. "Huh. I don't know, I've never noticed wall colours before. It makes your place feel homely, I guess. Why?"

 

Suzy shook her head as gratitude filled with her. "Just asking. But you better be thankful that I'm putting 120% effort into this meal," she reminded and sent him a pleased smile over her shoulder.

 

Seungri threw his head back in laughter.