"Next time"

Crazy, Stupid, Love

 

 

As dinner continued on, Suzy found it unusual that after that first moment of awkwardness, it had become comfortable again. When they waited for their food, both eventually dove into conversation as they usually did with each other at work. She hadn't realized how easy it was to talk to him. For some reason too, it was like he had stopped judging everything she said and just listened, and for that, she was more than relieved.

 

"When I was in high school, I always thought I'd be a teacher," Suzy shared as they waited for dessert. "I loved all my teachers since elementary and thought how great it would be to inspire other children the way they inspired me."

 

Seungri took a sip of his drink. "Why didn't you?"

 

"I lost confidence when I was in my first year of college. I realized I don't work hard enough to tell other people to work hard." Suzy looked up when the waitress arrived with the chocolate and strawberry parfait. "That looks so good! I think I'm drooling already, Seungri."

 

He laughed. "Thanks," he said as he took it from the waitress and set it on the table. "Go ahead." Suzy flashed a bright smile as she scooped a spoonful of it. Damn, she really was cute.

 

"How was university? And here I thought for the longest time that you were a fool without a goal," she teased when he sent her a mocking glare. "Turns out you're smarter than me."

 

"Attending university means nothing," he said dismissively. "I didn't really know what I wanted to do. That old man told me it'd be good to go into business, but it's not like he knew much. He was financially in trouble half the time I lived with him." Seungri leaned forward and ate his portion of the ice cream. "Hara was studying business at the time. She kind of guided me through it. For me, it was like I guess I should take this. It didn't matter all that much. Dreams I mean. I…uh…never had any growing up."

 

"That's not true," Suzy argued passionately as she put her spoon down. "Everyone's got dreams. You were probably focused too much on survival that you didn't put as much thought into it as most people, but I bet there was part of you that wanted to become something, even if it was something farfetched and impossible and foolish." She waited until he met her eyes. "I'm right, aren't I?"

 

The corner of his mouth lifted. She had him pegged completely. "Astronaut," he supplied with a chuckle. "I always wanted to run away so I thought, what better than literally leaving the world and everything behind."

 

She laughed delightedly. He was so different. So different from who she had made him out to be. It warmed her heart to know that. The fact that he shared with her these things about him made her feel a sense of self-worth…like she became special to him in some way. Especially considering what kind of relationship they had shared for so long, who would have thought she would be feeling this way now?

 

"Done?" He asked as she continued to stare at him with wonder.

 

She caught herself and grabbed her purse. "Oh I'll pay, since I invited you out and I made you do my work."

 

He put down his credit card before she could. "Next time."

 

Startled, Suzy looked up. He met her gaze tentatively. Her heart jumped. Was it…? Anxiety growing again, she repeated to herself what he just said. Did that mean he wanted to go out with her again?

 

Realizing he was waiting for her answer, Suzy blinked and managed to reply amidst her sudden nervousness, "Okay."