Don't make promises you can't keep

Crazy, Stupid, Love

 

 

During dinner, Suzy looked outside the window and noticed the rain starting up again. She bit back a sigh as she finished the last piece of her steak. Daniel was pleasantly talking across from her, telling her his usual stories of work and other aspects of his life. In the beginning, she had been so caught up with it, full of curiosity for this man. It was funny how, as time went on, she realized he never really asked her anything about herself. Every conversation always seemed to end up about him.

 

She bit back a derisive laugh. Why was she becoming so pessimistic about him already? How can you think about giving up on him like this? She tried to shake off the thought. This was her prince; hadn't she thought that for the longest time?

 

"Suzy?" Daniel finally noticed her lack of response after going off on a monologue for five minutes. He took her hand in his. "Are you still angry?"

 

"Hmm?" She looked back at him and absently smiled. "No, I'm not. You apologized, so I forgave you." But she wondered if she even believed his sincerity anymore. "I'm just tired. It's been a long day."

 

"Yes, it has." Daniel drank his wine, then leaned forward and pushed back a stray hair from Suzy's face. "Again, I must apologize for the wait. The way work is going right now... I can't exactly leave the meeting early, as much as I'd like to. An executive chief oversees many things, after all."

 

"It's not that, Daniel," she began, finding her frustration bubbling up. "I know you're busy. You're my boss, for goodness' sake." Her temper was a flaw she fully knew of herself, but usually, unless it was Seungri pushing her at her limit, she was good at keeping it in. Now she fought for control as she tugged her hand away from his. "It's just…don't make promises you can't keep. Okay? That's all."

 

After a moment of silence, Daniel merely nodded and leaned back against his chair. The blank expression on his face told Suzy that she just embarrassed her boss, not her boyfriend. More bothered now for the lack of understanding on his part, Suzy just looked away and bit back angry tears.

 

What happened to the perfect man she thought she knew for three long years? Why was Daniel so completely different from what she'd imagined him to be? Couldn't he have at least been a bit kinder or caring, rather than just putting on a show with those roses and those sweet words in public?

 

Being his girlfriend now, it was a hard fact to face that Daniel wasn't in any way, shape, or form, the prince she imaging. At least, not the man behind those looks.

 

Then he took her hands and pressed a light kiss on the inside of her palm. And it was funny how these things he did never seemed to make her heart palpitate in excitement. It had always seemed forced on her part, even in the beginning.

 

"Forgive me, Suzy. It was my fault entirely. I won't make promises I can't keep."

 

Because his eyes were full of remorse, she could only sigh, feeling herself waver. Three years had meant so much to her. He had become a fantasy in her mind, and that fantasy just didn't match with reality, and it was painful to accept that. But…his eyes. She cursed herself for having a heart that was just too infuriatingly soft.

 

"I know," she murmured. "It's partly my fault anyway." Because she expected too much. "Let's…do better next time." One more chance.