I don’t back off so easily

Crazy, Stupid, Love

 

 

Suzy rushed into the office. She pushed back the urge to curse as she walked out of the elevator, her hair and clothes slightly drenched and her brain in disarray. She hadn't been able to get any rest all weekend. Even when she had tried to close her eyes and forced herself to dream, Seungri's face hovered. Now, on a rainy Monday morning, she was thirty minutes late, and because of the sudden downpour, she had to run from the roofless parking lot to the building entrance, which was a good two-minute distance away.

 

"Hey Suzy," her co-workers greeted while sending her amused smirks.

 

She could only muster up an odd sound of disdain as she trudged to her desk. Just as she put down her bag, she jumped a little at the sight of Seungri, looking at her with his usual sardonic smile. Before he was about to say a word, she put a hand up.

 

"This is your fault. You're taking complete responsibility for my being late," she declared, then began to rummage through her drawers for a spare towel or handkerchief or something.

 

"What did I do?" He walked to her with a handkerchief on hand. "Geez, you weirdo. Did you run all the way from your house?"

 

"No-" He wiped her face with one , interrupting her words. Then he began dabbing at her shoulders and hair. Her cheeks already burning, Suzy felt her heart tripping like a schoolgirl. "W-what are you doing?"

 

"You're wet," he said calmly, then as he planted the handkerchief on top of her head, he grinned down at her. "So you couldn't get any sleep last night? Is that why you're saying it's my fault?"

 

Mortification shot through her. "Yes," she said evenly as she pushed him forcefully away while holding onto his handkerchief tightly.

 

Sharing her personal space with him in public was very unfamiliar and too uncomfortable. But in the midst of her humiliation, she hoped he understood why she was acting this way. As indescribably happy as it made her to have him take care of her like that, she wished her heart would settle down enough for her to gather her thoughts and respond with clarity. But no matter what she did, she still couldn't think straight when he was around.

 

Seungri kept studying her with mild enjoyment. He backed off a little and slid his hands into his pockets.

 

She warily watched him in return, then said, "I'm…not used to this yet." She then opened up the handkerchief and saw how drenched it had become. Suzy mumbled, "Thank you. As irritated as I was about not getting any sleep, I'm…" She looked up hesitantly. "I…" The words were there, right at the end of her tongue. With an inward sigh, she let it out. "I'm happy. To…see you."

 

At the confession, Seungri felt his own face redden. Unable to react properly, he said a little too curtly, "Why do you say those kinds of things then expect me to back off so easily?" He then closed the distance between them and said, "I really couldn't care less how embarrassed you are right now." He then planted a kiss on the top of her wet hair, having no care for the rest of the world. "If you don't want me in your personal space like this, don't say those things to me." With that, he stepped away and went back to his cubicle without another word or glance.

 

Suzy remained still. She could feel the ends of her hair still dripping. Even her clothes felt heavy and gross. And yet, there was that little spot on the top of her head that felt so warm. Her heart melted just a little. Despite how awful the day had begun, it was starting to turn out nicely after all. I'm glad I was late today, she thought with a foolish smile on her face.