Among The Glitterati by princesselena

VᴇʀꜱᴀEᴍᴇʀɢᴇ ʀᴇᴠɪᴇᴡ ꜱʜᴏᴘ Archive。
auMhf5C.png
REVIEWER'S CORNER
Sorry for the long wait but I have my final exam tomorrow through WED. so I wanted to focus on finishing all my school work. Thank you for requesting and if you have any questions let me know and I'll try to explain it best I can! 
among the glitterati
LINK
BY princesselena


Title:
I really like this title, like it's pretty unique. Instead of "Among the Paparazzi" or something, you chose a unique title with the "Glitterati". Though usually, the "The" in the title wouldn't be capitalized, it'd just be: Among the Glitterati but it's fine as is (I'm just picky). Overall, it's a fun title and I think it can be very eye-catching since I've never seen a title like this before.

Description/Foreword:
I feel like the description is kind of cliché since there are a lot of fanfictions centered on an OC being in the industry and watching a Kpop band and then romance can happen and so on. This is just a first impression though and maybe it's different from the inside. I'm hoping it's not like the other fanfictions I've been but that's the kind of vibe I got off of it from first glance but the one thing I am curious about is the demons of her scarred past, that's definitely got me intrigued.

Plot:
Some parts are very predictable. The story isn't the most unique and I don't see why she'd need to actually work with EXO, that position seems to me as if it is a more behind the scene job. I may be wrong as I am not in the industry but there's a few elements to the story that aren't the most realistic. I feel like the plot is kind of weak in a sense. I find it kind of predictable that something in the past happened and now she's working for EXO and all that but really, the plot is kind of unrealistic and doesn't compell me to read more. After the second chapter, I just kind of shrugged because I didn't find it exciting as I've seen A LOT of these types of fanfics. That and I'm not into this kind of fanfic because of how unrealistic it can be. 

The main question is: what is the main conflict? That her ancestors did something? No, her ancestors actions, in this day and age, shouldn't effect how she's treated by a boy group. Or whatever was going on, I don't even know. I just didn't really get strong vibes from this plot and I'm not sitting there wondering what'll happen next. 

I don't know, I'm just not into it. Doesn't mean it's bad though, this is more of a personal preference on if I enjoy it or not.

Writing Style/Flow:
There are a few sentences that sound kind of awkward, either because they sound like a run-on or because it's just worded odd. Such as:

"[...] black studs for earrings with an ear piercing on the left ear, and hair held back perfectly in place with a slick straight ponytail and a black ladies bag suspending on one arm wiith a file carried in the other." 

This feels like a bit of a run-on sentence and you should have cut it down a bit. Don't get me wrong the detail is good but at the same time, shouldn't you mention where the ear is pierced first? We already know her ear is pierced since she has earrings in but it doesn't make sense considering you said she has "earrings" but then it say "an ear piercing" which would indicate one earring. Not only that but it sounds like they're separate things. Also... what's a ladies bag? Do you mean a purse? It sounds very odd. The use of suspending in this sentence also sounds quite odd.

Instead of the run-on sentence, break it down (the first part of the sentence was fine): "[...] black stud earrings rested on her left ear and her hair was held back in place perfectly, a slick, straight, ponytail. In one arm, she held a black purse in one hand with a file carried in the other."

This is just an example but this sounds less choppy and more 'smooth' to say the least. There are some places where commas shouldn't be like: "She was undoubtedly a beauty, with class." There's no need for the comma after beauty, it makes it sound choppy. It's like there's a pause after the beauty and it's just odd.

The usage of "thru" instead of through. "Thru" is not a word, it's something someone made up when they were too lazy to write out "through", this is something I would take a look at and change. It's improper and considering this is still a work of writing, grammar is quite important and being lazy/taking shortcuts is off the list.

Other than that, there's not much problems with it. The flow is decent, I'd say, and the dialogue is a bit eh but it's not terrible either. The amount of detail you used at times was very good and I was impressed.

Characterization:
I don't really like the OC in this fanfic for several reasons: one, she's generic. There's nothing that really pops about her. Two, she's sounds too perfect. In the first few lines, the way she was described gave off a vibe as if she were "untouchable" and I didn't really like that. You can't connect to this character very much because of it. I don't like OC fanfics which could be another reason but she's not... memorable. Her personality doesn't resonate with mine in any way besides maybe the sarcasm and I don't feel as if I can relate to her as a reader which, in turn, can be very important especially for a main character. She lost her professionalism a few times and, of course, 'checked' Kai out which is too predictable. She also shouldn't be using sass with an employer (which is, in turn, EXO) because she will get fired in the real world for that kind of stuff. She's almost a mary sue but at the same time, she's not. After reading the scene where she lashes out at the workers, she would have been fired, she's NOT higher in rank than them and it's disrespectful in Korea to even act like that, a brat, in a work space.

EXO are generic so far.

Jongin/Kai acts like this in majority of the fanfics I see of him and it's boring after awhile. He's snarky, has a bad attitude, hates the OC or whatever else there is - there's too much to name. EXO are nice people and considering this is them as idols, he's kind of far off on personality. All of EXO, yes, including Kai, are nice people so making them seem malicious towards someone who WORKS with them is not realistic. What ancestors did shouldn't effect how they treat her as she is a human being in this time. When writing the idols as, well, idols - I figure it's more normal to actually use their real personalities or close to it. I feel like that was kind of missed here and maybe I'm just picky (no, yeah, I'm very picky). I wasn't very interested in his character.

Personal Enjoyment:
I have mixed feelings about this but I'm going to say I didn't really enjoy it personally. These fanfics, for me, are highly cliché and the characters are always the same. There's that stigma for Kai in fanfictions and you kind of brought it out in this which made me kind of go 'eh', the OC wasn't my favorite - she's just not someone I'd relate to or like. There's not much of a strong plot but I can tell you 1000000% that your writing is VERY good. I was highly impressed by that alone and wasn't expecting such details at some parts. So good job on that, really. The story's not bad and my opinion is one out of MANY people; so don't take it to heart.

If you have any questions, let me know, and don't forget to credit the shop. I at explaining things sometimes but I do think the story has potential so just keep writing and it'll get somewhere.