An Alpha and A Yakuza by KimmyNurry

VᴇʀꜱᴀEᴍᴇʀɢᴇ ʀᴇᴠɪᴇᴡ ꜱʜᴏᴘ Archive。
auMhf5C.png
REVIEWER'S CORNER
I hope the review helped somewhat and apologies for not being able to read every single chapter because that's a bit much for a reviewer. Again, if something I say has changed; let me know please.

Don't forget to credit the shop and I hope this review was helpful.
an alpha and a yakuza
LINK
BY kimmynurry


Title:
The title is pretty ing outstanding; it's not one I've ever seen before and hey, I learned what a Yakuza is since I googled it so yay, more knowledge. I think the title is very captivating and original and I'm looking forward to see what the story has to offer. Whether the story lives up to my expectations based off the good title is a different story though. But "An Alpha and a Yakuza" is definitely an A-plus title in my book.

Description/Foreword:
The description isn't as outstanding as the title and I felt slightly disappointed since I was hoping (I didn't look at the tags nor did I notice the werewolf in the poster) that it wasn't about werewolves since the term alpha doesn't strictly go for werewolves.

As for the first sentence "Where do werewolf and yakuza fit in all these?" This sounds pretty weird in structure. I think it would sound better as "Where do werewolves and yakzas fit in all of this?" Because just using werewolf and yakuza sounds strange for some weird reason. And for the "fit in all these", that also sounded a bit strange.

Also, it changes the P.O.V at one point, it goes from third to first then to second and then back to third.

"Just thinking about it, I know[..]"  (1st)
"And that burden is hanging right on top of your head." (2cd)
"Well, as terrifying as it sounds, it is what fate had planned for her." (3rd)

The weird changing of point of view's is very strange and I don't know what was trying to be achieved here by the constant changing of it but I found it very odd considering there's no consistency in the point of view (which should mainly be in 3rd since you seem to be aiming for a 3rd point of view story).

Diving back into the description itself, the story seems to come a bit on the short end. It seems like a slightly cliche plot and that's the exact opposite that I was hoping for since the title really did give me higher hopes. I'm hoping that what's inside of the story can change my mind since I really think the story has potential.

Plot:
Warning: The story is very long and I am not going to be able to read 49 chapters so I apologize for that; this review will only cover SOME of the chapters as I cannot spend hours reading it to finish. I hope you can understand that! If something I say in this section is changed or the plot goes for a twist somewhere and I don't see it; please let me know when picking up the review so I know that I've missed something (I'll be okay with some spoilers here).

OKAY, so starting off with this; I wasn't expecting it to be a first point of view story as I said above, I figured it would be a third point of view story as some of the description is in third. I would advise changing that to just first point of view since there's all three point of views in the description.

Moving on, the way her parents died was straight out cliche. Every single story I read with dead parents is because of an accident. It's kind of old by now, I don't see why people don't use a disease or something; it's always an accident of some sort. And not even an original accident - I get that it's supposed to give more tragic-ness to it but really, it doesn't.

I think the story definitely has a Japanese vibe more than a Korean vibe and I feel like the Yakuza concept made it like that. I can't tell in they're in Korea or Japan since I don't know if Korea would really have a lot of apartments like the one described. I want to say they're in Japan but I don't know what you really had in mind.

There's a lot of things to talk about and I might be here all day if I even try to delve more into it so I'll keep it simple. There are some cliche things in the story, that's more than obvious, but there's also a very unique aspect to the plot with the Yakuza and her grandfather plus the life style she is forced to live. It's very unique and compelling and it really weighs out the cliches to make a good story.

Also, now that the story is finished, maybe removing the "not an update" story chapters would be a good thing. They're not useful anymore as the story is finished. 

Writing Style/Flow:
The writing style in the description needs to be fixed to remove the several point of views. Stick to one point of view which happens to be first; the second and third point of views are not needed and shouldn't be used together. As for the writing style in the story, it's beautiful with the use of words and such. With a story like this, third point of view would have been more fitting in my opinion but if first is what you're comfortable with, stick to it. As for the flow, I like the way everything moves quite steadily and nothing seems overly rushed.

As for grammar, there are some simple things here and there such as: "I sketch everything but human because I at it." There should be an 's' on the end of human. "I sketch everything but humans[...]" or: "I may not have train since I was small[...]", it would be "I may not have trained since I was small[...]"

There's also some weird placements of words. "I didn't know how long was I knocked out[...]" This sounds like you were trying a bit too hard to sound formal. The was is in the wrong place and also, the didn't should be don't - it sounds better. "I don't know how long I was knocked out[...]"

"I huffed my a section higher[...]" I don't know why this made me snort. The word huff, or huffed, means to blow out air or in some areas - means to sniff gasoline fumes. The word doesn't fit here at all. I think the word you meant to use was 'haul' which means to drag with force. So it would be "I hauled my a section higher[...]"

Also, the term "left head" is used. You only have one head so that wasn't clear enough. You should have mentioned the left side of her head as this girl is not a mutant - she has only one head, not two.

Besides these, there are a few other grammatical errors in the chapters that are mainly small but still able to be noticed.

Characterization:
The characterization is definitely good and I love the diversity of names; they're not just Korean names (as Yakuza is a Japanese term I expected some diversity which I do like). I still feel like the story is based in Japan as more Japanese things seem to happen but that's not for this section. Rei's character seems a bit rebellious due to the fact that she doesn't really seem to care about what happens, resulting in her almost getting a knife to the head, but she definitely seems to not care about the Yakuza and her grandfather's stuff. She seems to challenge people without thinking (e.g. "Don't tell me what to do.") and she's a character that can be quite likable.

Mark seems like a douchebag when first introduced properly. Saying things like "I'm betting it's your dad." does make him sound like a . Especially since they were talking about some serious stuff there such as domestic abuse. I'm sure Mark changes throughout the story but I do like how you gave him and Rei clashing personalities.

Personal Enjoyment:
I think the story is very good; some things weren't as I expected and this isn't something I would probably finish (since I can't read that many chapters at once without losing interest) but it's quite good. The title really did blow me away and the werewolf concept pushed me away from the story since I'm kind of sick of the werewolf concept by now as it's been used SO much but still, good job overall. As I said before, the uniqueness in the plot weighs out the cliches completely so it's overall a very good story.

I hope I didn't miss too much as again, I didn't read that many of the chapters. Remember, if there's something I forgot to say or something not mentioned in the review that happens later on, let me know.