Someone Call Doctor Nam! by Snowflake21

VᴇʀꜱᴀEᴍᴇʀɢᴇ ʀᴇᴠɪᴇᴡ ꜱʜᴏᴘ Archive。
auMhf5C.png
REVIEWER'S CORNER
Whoever made the poster did a really good job honestly, the poster looks awesome.  Honestly, I get kind of intimidated reading stories that seem to have a lot of readers, which yours seems to, because I feel like people will dislike me for saying something-- (it's dumb, i know) but I hope I helped somehow?? P.S. sorry for such a long review, I just wanted to make sure I was very thorough on what was being said.
someone call doctor nam!
LINK
BY snowflake21


I just want to give you a little warning, this review is very long and it's full of (hopefully not too harsh) constructive criticism and I hope I don't come off too strong. I usually don't put warnings but my tone is very hard to determine based off text and I just want you to know that I'm here to help you, not hurt you.


Title:
The title made me snort, honestly. I've never seen one like it, one, and two, the title just seems kind of funky but it's eye-catching which is a very huge advantage though it does kind of sound like a mouthful. Since you don't see titles like this every single day, i'd say you nailed the "unique" kind of aspect to it. Now if the title was something like "Someone Call the Doctor" or, God forbid, just "Call the Doctor", I feel like it wouldn't have been as eye-catching as this one. Personally, it's not a title I'd use and since I'm the pickiest reader ever, I probably wouldn't have clicked on it but considering the fact that many people have, you chose a good title to gain a solid audience. 

But, after reading the chapters I did read, or tried to read, I don't get why the title is that. I didn't read everything as the paragraphs were too much for me (that's explained later on) so I'm not really getting why it's called what it is. Is it just a reference to how much she wants Woohyun or... I don't know. I actually didn't notice this was a story at first so I had a completely different opinion on the story but now that I see the , I'm not sure how the title really relates 100% though my stupid self could have missed the reference that was given?

Description/Foreword:
The description's pictures are too large in my opinion, I've seen people put the previous posters in their stories before, which I think is respectable, but they're a lil too large in yours. Another tip I can give is to move the pictures into the foreword with maybe a width of 300 and a height of 225 so it'll be this size instead: 


That way they aren't as big as they are and you can fit the two pictures next to each other, making it look a little neater. Another tip would be to move the pictures into the foreword and the actual story description into the description box. that way, people will see the story's description and not two huge photos since people don't come for the posters, they come for the description to see if they want to actually read the story.

As for the foreword/story's description, it's kind of generic. The whole "top student" thing is used quite a lot for OC characters and it's kind of unrealistic. I feel like you tried to make her a "mary sue" (aka a perfect character that could do no wrong and gets perfect scores/is popular in high school AU's, etc) so that kind of made me go "eh." 

Another thing is the grammar. It's not horrible, I'm not saying that, but some of the wording is very... weird. Example would be:

"Due to your hard work and determination, you became head nurse of the Cardiology department in the Seoul St. Mary's hospital since a couple of years." 

The "since a couple of years" makes me not know what you're trying to tell me. If you omit that part, then it's stating that she becomes head nurse in the department. Either way, I think a better way of wording it would be something like:

"Due to your hard work and determination, you became the head nurse of the Cardiology department in the Seoul St. Mary's hospital." 

Taking out the whole "since a couple of years" makes the sentence sound much better considering I don't really get why it's there. I also added that "the" there to make the sentence more 'stable'. 

Also, what comes first? Her becoming head nurse, which again kind of shows her as a Mary Sue character, or her graduating SNU? Usually, places only allow people who have graduated to become a head nurse (or even to get into the department, you need to graduate and have a high degree), so if her becoming that first happened then it's really illogical. If she graduates first, that sentence should come before the first one, not the second one.

There's commas where they shouldn't be. "His incredible charm and care for his staff, made you secretly admire him." Why is the commas after the word staff there? It doesn't need to be there so you should really remove that.

Another thing, I don't know if it's on my end or if everyone can see it but there's something funky going on in the description. It looks like this to me:

I have no clue what the hell happened in this aspect but it's really ing weird with the CONTENTID stuff. If it's just on my end, then let me know so I know I'm crazy but it's really awkward that it's like that? It could just be the website since it's been acting up on me lately but, if it's like that for you too, I'd... try to fix that?

Anyways, main things to get out of this is: Smaller pictures (300x225 recommended) + they should be moved down to the foreword so the story's description is the first thing the reader sees when they scroll down past the current poster that's up, minor grammar mistakes, and... if that's not just me, that weird thing in the foreword from above.

Plot:
The first thing I want to say is that the emoji's (I refrained from saying it in the description but...) are very distracting and quite ugly. I really wouldn't use emojis within a story, it's very not needed. So my tip would be to remove those. Another thing, the paragraphs are ing LONG. I've been called out for it before on my first story that I wrote years ago and honestly, I'm glad I was called out on it. The paragraphs should be cut down a little, especially the third and possibly the fourth (this is about the first chapter). Actually, I take that back, you need to fix the dialogue (more details in the next section of the review).

Reading the first paragraph of the first chapter made me think about the, er, story's description. Maybe you should change the description since almost everything in the first chapter is a repeat of what's in the foreword. The description isn't that eye-catching and it honestly doesn't make me want to read it (I would have stated that above but it fits more here) and now that the first paragraph is just a more detailed repeat of the description of the story, maybe something more compelling could be put at the story's description.

Honestly, overall, this just seems like PWP ( without plot). It's kind of unrealistic because unless they want to be fired, a nurse especially, they wouldn't be having at work. There would be a high chance they'd get caught and they're there to take care of patients, not to have . That would be done outside of work where patients aren't in need of care.

Some of the stuff was too convienient as well, I mean why would she pack lingerie to work? I mean if she was on her period, I could understand but it wasn't stated that she was and I highly doubt that she was.

As for the two endings

Romantic Ending with Woohyun: It's a pretty open-ended ending because the reader can imagine what happens between the two after he says "I love you" to her. Will they get married, have kids (probably...), etc. So that's always a nice thing.

Alternate Ending with Sunggyu: I'm just guessing this is gonna end up with more . This is the weaker ending of the two which is why I'm glad it's just an alternative ending. The Woohyun ending seems more logical... but at the same time it doesn't since this is all just . I guess in the aspect of the , this is the stronger ending while the Woohyun one is more about feelings.

Writing Style/Flow:
The way the chapter started off was kind of cringe-inducing. "Oh lawd" the word "lawd" is not something that should be used in a piece of literature, even if it's just fanfiction. The slang "lawd" is obviously just a dumb play on the word "Lord" so instead of using that, you should use the word Lord, the other word is just cringe and no one should use it.

Another thing is when two different people speak, don't keep it in the same paragraph. Example in the first chapter would be: 

"Have you been a good nurse today?" he asked. "No, I haven't," you teased. "What was that?" he cooed.

These should NOT be together. Whenever someone new speaks, it would be the start of a new paragraph, that's probably why yours are so long. Your dialogue is ALL next to each other. That's the MAIN thing you need to fix.

It would be:
"Have you been a good nurse today?" he asked.

"No, I haven't," you teased.

"What was that?" he cooed.

This seems to be the biggest problem and this is why everything looks so long. You definitely should take the time to seperate the dialogues. If the paragraphs don't look as long, that's fine but this is a bit of a mess. Remember: quality over quantity

As for the parts (aka most of the story), I can't really make any comments as I do not know how straight works in fanfics, sadly, and some of the parts made me kind of go "what?". I only really know how boyxboy crap works. I shouldn't talk about things I don't know well because that'll just be stupid. So I apologize if you wanted feedback on the . It's also hard to read these parts because of how smushed together everything is in the paragraphs.

Characterization:
When it comes to characterization, I feel like I only know what I've been told. Like the main two characters (well, the ones I see as the legit mains) which are Woohyun and the OC just seem like teenagers which is why I said the plot seems like a without plot story. We only really know that the OC is head nurse and wanted Woohyun/admired him, while Woohyun can't really keep it in his pants. Well, we also know that Woohyun is admired by several nurses and that he is caring and all that. But when it comes to how the characters are executed, they all just seem like hornballs.

Layout:
I added this section specifically for this review because the layout is a mess. I've said mostly everything in the previous sections but I'll go over them again here.

Number one thing you have to do is fix the dialogue which is making the paragraphs way too large. I already explained how to fix that in the writing style section but I'll go over it again quickly since this is a major problem in the story. Another thing is to remove any emoji's (seems to be only one in the first chapter) that are within the story.

When three people are talking like Woohyun, the OC, and Myungsoo, it's hard to tell who is who speaking because they're ALL in the same paragraph which is too large. Make sure to give EVERYONE a seperate paragraph (or even a sentence) when they're speaking. Yes, it'll make it look less "essay-like" but big paragraphs, for me, are VERY hard to read and when everyone's dialogue is smushed together, it's even harder to read and understand. So again, number one thing (even if it's the only thing you modify) that needs to be fixed is this. 

Second thing to modify would be the photographs in the front page and move them into the foreword while bumping up the story's description up to the description part.

Another thing that personally just kind of bugged me was the large text and the gifs at the end of every chapter. I'm really about this kind of stuff which probably isn't a good thing but yeah. A lot of the pictures you linked don't even work anymore because the link is broken and it makes it look ugly and unorganized since the links are just... broken. Chapter four is just too much. Too much broken links, too many gifs, the huge text, it's just... messy. Almost all of the links are broken in chapter five as well.

Also what's the point of "chapter" 7? things like that should be kept out of a work of writing. That's for a blog post or something else, you don't need to pointlessly update the story for something that is just for that. It makes it seem like you're updating just to get your story up on the recently updated page (I've seen people who do this - i'm not saying it's you but people can get the wrong idea). A tip would be just to remove that chapter as it has nothing to do with the actual story at hand. 

Personal Enjoyment:
I could barely focus on the story because of how cluttered and messy everything was. I kept losing my place on the longer paragraphs and I just almost gave up with reading it (though I forced myself not to as this is a review). I'm not saying the story is bad, please don't think that is what I'm hinting at, it's just the layout really needs to be fixed. I'm not asking you to change the story or modify that, you just really need to fix the layout. With that being fixed, I think it would be easier to read.

The gif spams kind of lead me away too because they're just not attractive especially when almost all the links come out to be broken as they were removed or the link became invalid. I found the "blog post" chapter (chapter 7) kind of not needed as said before.

I tried to do the best I could to help you out with this and honestly, you don't have to listen to me, I'm just someone who does reviews who tries to help people with writing. The story isn't the issue, it's just the layout.

It's currently 3:30am on Saturday and I've started this at almost 4:00am on Thursday, holy hell. I had a lot to write about the layout crap and I'm sorry about that part but it's what needs to be fixed mainly.

As for the story aspect, I find threesomes kind of weird, same with straight (since I never really read it and am not used to it) so it's not really my cup of tea to put it that way. But hey, I'm just one person and it seems like people in the comments really enjoyed your story and not every story is for everyone, y'know?  Plus I'm here to help you, not nitpick about what's happening within the story (fully, that is).

I hope I didn't discourage you with this review- I saw the subscriber count and that is a very large number and you should be proud of that number because holy hell, is it HUGE. My point is though, I just wanted to be honest with you and so I was, if you have anything you want to discuss, etc, just let me know and I'll clarify anything you want. I'm willing to help as much as I can here but there's only so much I can do from probably across the world.

Anyways, thank you for requesting and I hope this helped. Don't forget to credit the shop and again, if you need to have something clarified don't be afraid to ask me. :)