E.R. (chunkycaramel)

VᴇʀꜱᴀEᴍᴇʀɢᴇ ʀᴇᴠɪᴇᴡ ꜱʜᴏᴘ Archive。
MAIN HEADER

CRYBABY

 
POSTER HERE

E.R. by chunkycaramel

 

Characters: Joohyun, Joy, Seulgi, Wendy, Yerim, Heechul

 

Status: Ongoing

 

Joy is a grim reaper who agrees to extend Joohyun's life by thirty days under one condition.

Notes From Reviewer

 

** Well I was almost done with the review and my computer decided to delete all of it. The original review was much better, just an FYI, so I'm sorry if it's not up to satisfactory anymore, I can't remember what I put down and my computer is really starting to stress me out. And since when did AFF have so many damn annoying ads on fanfics that have sound? I've gotten like twenty while reading this and doing the review.

Title 

Considering the story doesn't have much of hospital setting, I don't understand the title as much since they're barely in the E.R., maybe there's something to come later on in the chapters that are left but as of right now I don't see the connection between the title and the story. (I might be a little blind though). Short titles are usually very mysterious because you wonder "what's the title referencing to?" or "Is this foreshadowing something?" but I don't really know what your title is trying to tell me. Maybe because of the cancer and hospital visits?

Description & Foreword 

The description is short and nice, it doesn't give away any spoilers of the story. It lays out what the idea is for the story but doesn't give anything major away which is good. I've seen fanfics that give away the whole story within the description alone and I just sit there faceplanting over and over again, ha.

The foreword is... I don't know. It's okay but considering Joy has been keeping her alive, I guess there technically is a way for her not to die and that's through Joy breaking rules to keep her alive.

Plot

The plot is interesting itself though I really wonder why someone would want to spend an eternity in Hell just for thirty more days of life on Earth. Maybe Joohyun did it on impulse because of the fact that she had a little sister and a lover, maybe it's because it was just on impulse because she wasn't ready to die or leave the human world yet. I'm sure she had her reasons for it but it seemed like a rash decision but without that decision, there'd be no story amirite?

I like the twists you added in because you don't expect them. I actually thought Seulgi was dead and then bam, her death was delayed. That was a nice twist to throw in there. Okay so I just finished reading all the chapters and the was that twist, I really wasn't expecting that at all. My favorite thing about this fanfic is the twists. I didn't expect half (more like all) of this stuff to happen and hello Heechul hah. I really do appreciate all the twists you've put in.

Writing Style 

The beginning of the story started in 2ND point of view which was strange to me, I barely see anything using the 'you' aspect since we aren't Joy. Though, it changed to 3RD point of view after awhile which is kind of inconsistent, that's about the only thing I didn't like at the beginning. Sometimes I feel like there isn't enough detail and it has too much dialogue. I said this in the last review but dialogue really can get boring and uninteresting after awhile. The story isn't purely dialogue, of course, but there is more dialogue than detail I'd say. I know how hard it is to write in detail since I was someone who used mostly dialogue but I got jealous of all those good writers on AO3 so I started trying it out too and sometimes, I regret every piece of fanfic I wrote beforehand (why am I rambling again). Besides that, I don't have much complaints about the writing style itself.

Characterization 

Joy is my favorite character so far. She's snarky with her remarks. The part where she stole the books from Yerim and the bookshop owner made me laugh, don't really know why though. She's also pretty relateable with the way she acts since some people really do act like that. I also like how Joy realizes she wants to be human again.

Joohyun is an alright character so far, she's not bad but there's not much to her that makes her stand out in my opinion. Sure, she has death on her side (literally) and she seems to try and enjoy time with her girlfriend more which is sweet but I don't know. I like how Joohyun tells Seulgi she's dying instead of continuously keeping it secret.

Wendy is just that y character every fanfic will have (most of them, not all...) but she's there for a reason. I like how she acts in the beginning, the y attitude towards Joy shows that she takes her job more seriously (as in not giving out life extensions, etc) even though both of them seem to really hate the career. She's also very blunt in the chapter I'm on and I like that since I am just as blunt, I'm too honest for my own good. After reading the last few chapters, I like Wendy's character more since it shows how much she really does care about Joy even if she acts like a witch here and there.

Seulgi is the hopeless romantic. The soulmates thing was cute though along with the red bracelet that Joohyun seems to really like. I don't really like her as a character since I hate when people have to solely rely on a significant other to live when death is sadly a part of life, you mourn and then move on with life since there's much more to it but Seulgi's character is just... I don't know. There's always gonna be that person, I guess. I'm curious to what is gonna happen to Seulgi though.

Flow 

The flow seemed kind of choppy at some parts since it just kind of skips ahead, if that makes sense, but eh - we all have days where we do things and we all have days where we do absolutely nothing. It somehow fits the story even if the flow does get kinda iffy here and there. Overall, I still like it though. 

Personal Enjoyment 

I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it, sure I struggled with the technology issues while attempting to do this review which annoyed me but I still liked the idea, the concept, I'm not fond of the characters (the people I mean) but I didn't mind since it was just that good. I wasn't that harsh since you really don't have many mistakes and ugliness (to put it that way) in the fanfic so it's good.