The Fated String by Blu3Wind

VᴇʀꜱᴀEᴍᴇʀɢᴇ ʀᴇᴠɪᴇᴡ ꜱʜᴏᴘ Archive。
auMhf5C.png
REVIEWER'S CORNER
i keep telling myself to stOP doing these reviews at almost... 3am but I never ever listen to myself and then I question my logic on what I've written.

anyways, I hope I made sense and I hope I helped you in some way. and if i didn't I apOLOGIZE.
the fated string
LINK
BY blu3wind


Title:
The title obviously relates to the story and connects to the description which is why it's a pretty good title in that aspect but for me, I wouldn't be compelled to click on it. I've seen several variations of this kind of title, involving a "fated string" or a "red string", so the title wouldn't really reach out to me personally but a lot of people I know are ers for soulmate au's (...well I am too but-) so I can see how the fanfic attracted a good amount of attention.

Description/Foreword:
I do like soulmate au's but the most common to me are these red string ones. I've read a fanfic with this kind of concept before, though it wasn't on aff nor was it an exo fanfic, so the description wouldn't really appeal to me since I've read the concept before; I like soulmate au's with more unique concepts, not a "red string" one (if that makes sense... like an example would be... idk- making up a concept for it [or just making me shut up cause i have no idea what i am saying right now]). Moving on though, the description does make me think there will be a twist to the soulmate AU because of the line "but she believes people have a choice to defy it and go against all odds." which makes me think that one person is going to defy the system which is rather unique.

Plot:
I liked how the story started, they seemed like normal people despite the whole soulmate thing going on (well that would be considered normal to them, as for us in the real world, sadly we'd think they were crazy haha).

I also like how Yerin asked Chanyeol "Do you believe in destiny?" just like the story started off. I almost didn't notice that but I thought it was a nice little touch. Kind of funny how Chanyeol shares the same thoughts but I guess I could have seen that one coming. 

For the new girl making an entrance, I like how it seemed kind of casual since she was the girl's cousin (I cannot remember all these OC names, forgive my soul). I'm glad the story is much different than what I thought because of the red string concept, you really made it your own and it's quite unique. I'm honestly impressed by it.

Everyone's parents seem to be splitting up though, it's kind of repetitive after awhile. I mean, it's common to have split up parents (I do.. kind since they never got married) but I feel like all these characters (the main three at least) have split up parents or parents that will most likely split up. That was kind of eh to me since the idea does get boring if all the characters have it going on. Though with Yerin and Chanyeol, I like how her parents split up when she was 10 and his parents have a high chance of splitting up (I'm only on chapter three so don't mind me).

I snorted at the twerking part, that was something I really wasn't expecting so that was interesting to read. You added the angst in very well honestly, I felt it man, I felt it.

OKAY SO I JUST FINISHED IT AND I WASN'T ACTUALLY EXPECTING YERIN AND HIM TO NOT BE TOGETHER. PLOT TWIST TO MEEEEE. But anyways, I'm glad it ended up like that. I would be deadpanned if it was the cliche "they get together because soulmates." It's nice to see plot twisters like that (or maybe it was obvious and I was just blind as hell)

Writing Style/Flow:
The story is very well written and I can see why it was second place for that exo fanfic thing. It flows well and seems to take a good steady pace. Though the use of "~" kind of made me eh. I literally ripped that key off my keyboard because I dislike it but it wasn't that bothersome.

Characterization:
I like how Yerin is against the soulmate thing and believes people can defy it, it gives her a unique character. I think it's nice how you've given a small background on her family which is why she doesn't believe in the system. 

Chanyeol's character closely resembles the real Chanyeol (from my knowledge of EXO) and he fits the goofy personality you gave him but, he still has the darker moments in his life. It gives him some serious character and I think you did a good job with Chanyeol as a whole.

Hee-Jin made me cringe at some times. The whole "oppa" thing made me just wanna run, run, run. (Sorry, I'm lame and it's almost 4am now). Her personality does seem to mirror Chanyeol's which, I guess, can make people think they're good together.

Personal Enjoyment:
Don't know why but I enjoyed it, I usually don't like OCxIDOL/straight fanfics but this one was genuinely enjoyable and I'm just going to casually slap it onto the featured fics since it's been awhile since i've done that. I'm happy with how it turned out, honestly. It ended with a not-so-happy ending for the main OC and I like that. I didn't cry or feel bad or anything since I don't feel for OC's (I'm so nice) but the angst was there and it was goooood.