Nocturne. by soroue

VᴇʀꜱᴀEᴍᴇʀɢᴇ ʀᴇᴠɪᴇᴡ ꜱʜᴏᴘ Archive。
auMhf5C.png
REVIEWER'S CORNER
Sorry for the extremely late review (it's quite late for me at least) but school has been a wrecking ball #yaysummerclass. I hope this review was helpful. Don't forget to credit the review shop!
nocturne.
LINK
BY soroue

 


Title (5/5):
So just by definition of the word, "Nocturne" is a genuinely nice/attractive word no matter how it's used since it's either a picture of a night scene or a short musical composition of romantic or dreamy character suggestive of night, typically on a piano; both of which are nice things to me. so I think it's a pretty pleasant title to look at. I definitely think a title like this could leave a fairly good first impression. I guess it can also have an angsty feel to it just for the sole fact that it can be used in a dark scenario so sure, I think it's a rather good title overall.

Description/Foreword (10/10):
Off the bat, I like the description as I am one who is all for short, yet captivating, descriptions. It makes me think that someone either is dead or died and is a ghost of some sort, who knows anymore. Either way, I think it's a good description and it has me asking a few questions in my head which is a great way to engage a reader with your writing and make them want to keep reading. 

Plot (32/40):
I mean, the conflict of the story isn't very apparent until the part where she starts feeling headaches and you can kind of tell that something's just going to go down from that point. I mean, you can kind of tell it has something to do with her brain, hence the headaches, and that she's most likely going to die considering the description of the story itself.

I do feel as if the plot itself is a bit cliché since it kind of seems like a typical romance story with a not-so-happy ending. Nothing really stood out to me, personally, and I did feel like I was reading a bit of a generic romance story and it was kind of easy to predict that she was going to die eventually, it wasn't much of a shocker which I feel can take away the angst aspect because truthfully, I didn't really care that she died in the story. I didn't feel sad about her passing because of the fact that I easily saw it coming so it wouldn't have come as something that would make me feel upset. Besides this and the generic-feeling to the romance, I can say overall that the plot is fine, it's not a bad read, but it just isn't something I'd be down to read again since I felt as if it were too predictable for my tastes. Not only that, but I have seen this type of story done before where the OC (or the male lead) dies and leaves everyone behind or that they didn't tell anyone and died eventually so it's not the most unique concept to me.


Writing Style/Flow (7/10):
The writing style is quite good, though the repeat of the word "making me" or "making him" in the first part of chapter one did make me kind of tilt my head since it just seemed odd. I didn't find any grammar issues so that's a good thing but one thing I did notice is that whenever someone new speaks, you should put it in another paragraph. I noticed that some paragraphs contained dialogue from two characters and not just one which can get confusing. Other than that, I'd say everything was all good.

As for the flow, I feel like it just went from point A to point B very quickly. I mean, she's just dead by the second chapter and we don't really get any development on Baekhyun's relationship with her nor do we really know what happens in the gap from chapter one to chapter two, it just kind of skips to her funeral. Nothing wrong with this I guess but I just found it somewhat odd that she's just dead.

Characterization (19/20):
We're introduced to a few characters but obviously I'm only going to focus on three; Seun, Sehun, and Baekhyun.

Seun isn't the overly cliché OC but I don't really see anything unique about her either. I mean I feel like she's kind of typical in the sense that she works for her parents company, eventually comes back to Korea because she misses it and so on. Her personality is more relaxed it seems and she's not like the typical OC who can be obsessive, ditsy (or ditzy, however you wanna spell it), or be a klutz. She just seems normal and that's totally fine with me since you didn't try to make her seem like a Mary Sue character like a lot of people do with their characters.

Sehun, his attitude was kind of typical in the sense that he was bratty. It seems like majority of people make him bratty in one way or another which is totally fine but I feel like it can get tiring after awhile. Reading him as a bratty adult-child (since that's what he seems like in most stories) or even as a cold hearted is the most generic thing I've seen with him. I like how you made him bratty but you didn't make him a complete with it, he and Seun had a good friendship I'd like to say and their dynamic was cute.

Baekhyun I feel like I don't have much to say about since I feel like you don't really get to know him as much as the other two. He's the boyfriend and you do learn that he knew about her illness considering the fact that his grandmother had the same thing and I like that you put that in because it shows that he knew what was coming though, when it came, he seemed quite lost. Losing someone is always hard, unless you're not that close to them then I don't think it will affect you as much, but you could really see that in his personality. He truly cared about her so I'm sure coping with her loss would be difficult.


Personal Enjoyment (3/5):
It was a well written story but it wasn't my type of story which is probably why I didn't enjoy it as much. I'm not really for generic-type of romance stories and I have seen this concept used before.


TOTAL: (76/100)