* The Beat by T-RaIm

VᴇʀꜱᴀEᴍᴇʀɢᴇ ʀᴇᴠɪᴇᴡ ꜱʜᴏᴘ Archive。
auMhf5C.png
REVIEWER'S CORNER
I hope this help and sorry if I sounded mean, I'm like the Simon Cowell of reviewing at times... but I hope it helped somehow and if you have any questions, let me know.

Don't forget to credit the shop and pick up your review.
* The Beat
LINK
BY t-raim


Title:
First of all, why is there an asterisk in the title? I find that kind of strange that it's in the title. If it's because you're explaining what the title means then that only needs to be in the description. It's kind of weird to have it there but moving on. The title isn't really one that is eye-catching, with or without the asterisk, and it's kind of generic to me. It clearly relates to the story judging by the description so I guess that's gotta count for something.

Description/Foreword:
Honestly, I think most people know what a beat is so I kind of question why the description of it's in the title. I don't think the asterisk really changes anything. As for the description itself, the first thought that really came to mind was "oh great, another typical love story" because that's what the description makes me think it is. It sounds cliche from the getgo and I don't know if it's going to change my mind when I start reading it or not. From the description, I feel like Yoongi's character might be cringy because of "Him getting annoyed at her when she works with other male idols" but I'm hoping not... 

Another thing, what's with the long descriptions for the characters? No one really needs those. They don't really seem important by just reading and glancing at them; they don't seem to enhance any plot but maybe that's just me because I always find stuff like that pointless.


Plot:
** WARNING: Not all chapters will be read, there are too many for me to review so if things are missed or there is a plot twist, I won't know about it. Let me know if something I said has changed within later chapters of the story so I know.

I read the first few paragraphs and it already seems like something I wouldn't have much of a liking for. Blackpink's Whistle composed by her... really? I feel like she's being made out to be better than she actually is by this. Of course the female lead would be some legend... because that hasn't happened before right? Wrong. It's cliche and I've seen it done before and every time I just can't help but facepalm. It wasn't something I wanted to read since Whistle was composed by Teddy, an amazing person.

The way they meet is just... pfft, I don't know how to even explain it. She has all their albums too, what a coincidence that she got to meet them - this is cliche. I don't think BTS would need her out of all composers to work with them honestly, they can do a lot of their stuff by themselves so I don't see anything unique out of this plot besides just trying to get an idol and an oc together. 

The news articles are ridiculous. I really do feel like you're praising the OC too much and the comments are even more ridiculous, no one cares if the OC moved to South Korea half of the comments would be "who cares" and I can tell just based off what I see on twitter today. I feel like you're trying to push their relationship too fast especially with Yoongi's comment at the end of chapter 2. I've been a fan of K-pop for a long time and I don't think many people would be saying "they would make a perfect couple" as fans are NOT that docile most of the time especially with a popular band like BTS. And he's already in her house by chapter 3 or 4, whichever one, what even.

This your typical idol and oc romance story where one character (usually the OC) is a fan of the band (whatever male role) and does something [such as producing, dancing, whatever it is] to get to meet the male and then oh, surprise - the male is already interested the moment they meet. That's not how real life works. Cliches work SOMETIMES but in this case, I don't think it works most of the time and cliches can sometimes be like reading a textbook for science - boring. I think a good question to ask is "does my story stand out from other ones on this website, AFF?" my reply would be no, it doesn't really stand out at all.

Writing Style/Flow:
Writing style is good and quite descriptive which is very pleasant for me to look at. Though one thing... You wrote Bobby as..."y" in the first chapter, that's something you should probably fix.

Another thing, why are you adding in Korean that is Romanization? I find it cringe-worthy when people add in Korean words when they don't speak the language and even worse they add it in Romanization. The way I look at it is use English only considering this fanfiction is in English. If you're gonna REALLY have to use Korean, at least use it like it's written - in actual Korean. Doesn't matter if they're Korean or the story is in Korea. The story is in English and should stick to it. And if you're going to put the meaning next to the Korean word that is romanized, don't do it. Just.. no. I cringed reading the stuff in the second chapter... it's romanized with the meaning next to it. You speak English, use it.

The flow is all over the place in my opinion. I feel like everything is being pushed a little too fast. I feel like their relationship was being pushed the moment they met and that's bad. 

Characterization:
I don't really like Nari, she's got a lot of aspects in an OC that I find not appealing. "Releasing inner fangirl" like, it makes me think she just likes the job cause she gets to work with idols. Not saying that's how it is but it's how I see it since she has all of their albums. I think she was made to be some legend when I don't think she would be in reality. She's praised too much in the story, typical OC getting praised.

And there were parts where I found Yoongi as a cringy character just as I predicted. I can't imagine him saying "Thankfully music choose you and you were able to meet me." I really can't imagine him saying this to anyone he doesn't know well and he just met her. And what he thought in his head? "You will love only me soon" Yoongi sounds very out of character and very creepy. I had a feeling I wouldn't like Yoongi in this and I didn't. His character did not feel like Yoongi at all.

Personal Enjoyment:
Honestly, the characters is one of the weakest links to me in this story as well as the plot. There's nothing unique about the plot because I've seen it before where the OC gets to meet the band because of something... they're a fan... and so on. Yoongi was too out of character for me to like and the OC seemed like someone who was overly praised for no reason. I'm just trying to be honest here, not mean or anything but honest.

The story was well written in terms of description, I can definitely confirm that much, but everything else was a little weak and screamed cliche to me. It doesn't really pack a punch as a story and it's full of many cliches.

I try not to sugarcoat anything because I'm here to help you improve as a writer, not give you false praise. I give praise where needed and I criticize where it is needed. I do think the way you write is great, sure there can be some improvements but everyone can improve, but for this story I think it could have been better. 
It could have been much much worse but it would need some improvement and a huge change in a lot of things which isn't worth it now as the story is completed.

Maybe take some things out of this for the next story, don't dwell on old works because they're finished, that's that. I'm sorry I didn't enjoy it as much as you probably would have hoped but don't think too much of it. Take whatever you can get from this review and move on with your writing. As I said, you write very well and are capable of writing something amazing I'm sure but this wasn't it.