Toothbrush Effect by KnoW_logic

VᴇʀꜱᴀEᴍᴇʀɢᴇ ʀᴇᴠɪᴇᴡ ꜱʜᴏᴘ Archive。
auMhf5C.png
REVIEWER'S CORNER
Sorry for the longer wait, I would have had it done earlier but Overwatch somehow took over my life temporarily (hopefully it's just temporary)

Either way, don't forget to credit the shop [rule 03]. :)
toothbrush effect
LINK
BY know_logic


Title (5/5):
The title is cute in a weird way, I didn't really know what to expect with a fanfiction called 'Toothbrush Effect' and I've never seen this title around before which, I think, makes it rather unique. I think it could be rather eye-catching just for the fact that it's kind of a quirky title and that it might be able to bring people into reading the description or even the story. Either way, I think it's a pretty good title.

Description/Foreword (8/10):
To me, the second part of the description makes the story sound overly cliché (minus the toothbrush thing), it just seems like one of the typical romance stories. Not saying it is, of course, as I haven't started reading it yet but that's the first impression I got from it mainly because of the fact that it makes me think they're going to meet in a typical way - that's why a lot of romance stories here aren't interesting or don't really go away from the cliché romance but truthfully, I do have high expectations for this one since the toothbrush thing made me interested in it since that's not something people usually use in these types of stories.

There's not much to say about the foreword since it's mainly author's note stuff. I like the quote "Love starts with a toothbrush" since it sounds kind of funny if you really think about it. 


Plot (23/40):
I wasn't sure where to put this but I think I will slip it into this section. It's in the beginning of the story and I did have to read it twice because I wasn't sure if it was a mistake or not. You said: "I left to get myself checked out before returning to my rented apartment, shaking my head in shame." This sentence kind of shows that she already left the store but then she's talking to the cashier which shows she hadn't left. I think the way this sentence was worded made me confused since it clearly says "before returning to my rented apartment", stating she left to go back home. If that makes sense.

Moving on, judging by just the second chapter, it does seem a bit like the typical romance story considering the fact that Sehun's friend, Baekhyun, just happens to know Miran who just happens to know Soo-ah. I feel as if it's too conicidential, I'm not saying it can't happen but chances are it wouldn't be high.Then she happens to work for his mother and... yeah, you get the idea. It's all a little too cliché and coincidential.

I don't really see a plot conflict here either. I mean.. is it the fact that she's single and people keep pressuring her to date or... something along those lines? If it is, I'd say it's a pretty weak plot since that's been done a lot of times before, it's not original at this point. That's really the only thing I could think of for this story since there's not much for me to really go off on since the story is mainly dialogue and short descriptions.

Not only that but I feel like everything was a little rushed. By chapter one, they've encountered each other which is fine. Chapter two, they've already met and it seemed as if he were flirting with her despite knowing little about her, chapter three, they're going on a date and she's jealous of when he's with other girls. I don't know, I just feel like there's not much real background story to this since there's not much detail to it as I said before, it's mainly just dialogue. Also, them just randomly fighting about the pettiest thing and then out of nowhere, they're...snowboarding. Kai comes in out of nowhere and I don't see why they're acting like this when they haven't even been dating that long. It seemed like a bit of an overreaction from Soo-ah.

Writing Style/Flow (7/10):
When it comes to the writing style, there's really no issues with grammar, as far as I am concerned, and everything seems to fit together well. I personally prefer third point of view stories compared to first point of view since they work better with me so I was just a little bit disappointed by the fact that it wasn't in third considering the description was in third point of view which is why I thought it would follow up and also be in third, not switch to first.

Anyways, following up with what I said in the plot section, this story doesn't have the best pacing. By chapter six, they're already... together? There wasn't any conflicts, no plot twists, no nothing. I really just seems like a generic/cliché love story with no real basis to it. There's not much detail, as I said before, to go with it either since majority is dialogue and with that, a story can feel very rushed because that means the author (this applies to every fanfic, not this one) isn't really taking the time to think out plots. I'm guilty of it which is why I take days, even months, to plan out a story because I want it to be full of life and not just cliché's, Not even that but by the last chapter posted, they're already together for two months, there's really no details of the two months; did they go on dates, what would they do, questions like that and so on. That kind of stuff was skipped here and it just delves into them fighting.

Characterization (8/20):
Generally speaking, the characters aren't really that memorable per se. They're both quite generic and I feel like they don't have anything that makes them stand out from other characters. Soo-ah fell in love way too easily and I think it was because she became desperate for love which is ridiculous. Fanfictions tend to do this thing where the female lead absolutely needs to have a partner and they make her meet a guy, they get together out of nowhere, fight over petty stuff, possibly break up once or twice, get back together and all that jazz. I've seen this the most in fanfictions. Or one person will try to get the other jealous despite jealousy being an ugly trait to have. 

I feel like I don't know either character though since there's not much details surrounding their characters. We don't really learn anything about them, either of them. Well, we do learn that they're easy to make jealous which is pretty generic as well since jealousy tends to play a role in majority of stories one way or another. I feel like you should slow the story down a little, it's going by way too fast and you're missing opportunities to expand on the characters and their surroundings.

Personal Enjoyment (3/5):
It's not my kind of story at all, I like more detailed stories with less dialogue and not as fast paced since it seems all too unrealistic. The story is a bit too cliché for my liking as well since I'm not one to be a fan of clichés, especially when the story is kind of solely made up of clichés. The characters, to me, don't have much personality to them mainly because of the fact that the story is at such a fast pace. My main advice would be to take it slow and take the time to describe their feelings, describe the surroundings, not just go 'boom, boom, boom done' with everything. 

Total (54/100):
I graded this as best as I could since I'm still trying to perfect the grading system I use. I'm not saying the story doesn't have potential, it does because every story has potential, it's just lacking in certain areas which is fine, nothing is 100% perfect but I do think some of it is a bit too unrealistic or fastly paced to be given a higher score. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll get to them when I can.