Darkest Hour (Emilieee)

VᴇʀꜱᴀEᴍᴇʀɢᴇ ʀᴇᴠɪᴇᴡ ꜱʜᴏᴘ Archive。
MAIN HEADER

CRYBABY

 
POSTER HERE

Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Romance

 

Characters: Baekhyun, Jinae, EXO

 

Status: Ongoing

 

“The darkest hour is just before dawn. Dawn, when the sun rises.

But how can there be a dawn if the sun hasn’t risen in the sky for more than a decade, when every hour is the darkest hour?”

Hwang Jinae lives in a world shrouded with a blanket fear, despair and darkness. A world, once beautiful, that fell into catastrophes after catastrophes and became home to monsters that moved under the cover of night. Setting one foot outside was guaranteed death, whether it be in the claws of monsters or from the cold and lack of resources. Eighteen years ago, the sun stopped rising.

When Jinae is cast out of safety for a sin she didn’t commit, a quick death was the only gift she dared to wish for, though even that seemed to be impossible. She certainly didn’t expect a boy, looking almost as tired and half-dead as she, to leap out of the cover of shadows to her rescue.

With sunlight glowing on his fingertips.

Notes From Reviewer

 

I would have had this done yesterday but I wasn't feel good so here it is. Anyways, thank you for requesting again and hey, you got two reviews instead of one, that's gotta be counted for something. If you have any questions or concerns, let me know! Don't forget to credit the shop and I hope you have a good day!

Title 

At first glance, the story title sounds good. It's a story title I'd click on to see what was going on. It's got a very mysterious vibe to it and it gives a good first impression in my opinion. I also like how it's referenced to almost immediately. "The darkest hour is always before dawn." I like that and as I said, this gives off a great first impression so let's hope after I read, I still have a good impression of it. 

Even after reading, I still have a good impression (I didn't read every chapter though) and I think the title does fit because it's dark out since there's no sun. So the title was an A plus, especially since it has connections to the story.

Description & Foreword 

I seriously love the vibe this gives off, if you ask me (even though they can't be compared) this fanfic sounds so much better than Fearless, why wasn't this featured? This sounds really enthralling just by the description alone, I love the vibe all of it gives off, I really hope this fanfic is as good as it was presented because I really have high hopes for it now.

"Hwang Jinae lives in a world shrouded with a blanket fear, despair and darkness. A world, once beautiful, that fell into catastrophes after catastrophes and became home to monsters that moved under the cover of night. Setting one foot outside was guaranteed death, whether it be in the claws of monsters or from the cold and lack of resources. Eighteen years ago, the sun stopped rising."

I absolutely love this part of the desciption. The concept of the sun never rising again is really cool, and unrealistic sadly since we would all die most likely, but the idea behind it makes me really think about how life would be with no sun. 

The foreword shows that there will be obvious romance between the two since she doesn't understand why people want to see the sun until she meets Baekhyun so that was simple and sweet.

Plot

Just reading the prologue and some of the first chapter, I see how good this could be. I really like the concept of the sun vanishing, it's just not something I've personally read in a fanfic before so it's new to me and it's great. I'm glad you requested this story because it was well planned out, or you made it seem very planned out and organized, and everything went together nicely. I love how in the first chapter it explains how she'd dream of sunshine and how she thought it would be like if she ever got to feel it. And I get it now, Baekhyun's power is light so he can control sunlight, I got yoooou. I really like the adventerous vibe it has, there's a lot of action and it's quite an enjoyable read, I'd say.

Writing Style 

From the epilogue to chapter six (which is where I stopped since I'm behind on my reviews due to me not finishing any last night - curse sickness), the writing style was on point. Everything went together well, there was lots of detail which helped you imagine scenes better and everything was just good. I think you're heading in a good direction with this story so keep it up.

Characterization 

Hwang Jinae- I wasn't expecting her to be accused of thievery, to be honest, so that was a nice throw in. She got seperated from her family and I like the way she met Baekhyun. It seemed like a good timing and I'm glad that part didn't lack. There's definitely something unique about her and maybe when I have the time, I will finish reading what's written in the fanfic because I do think it's heading in a good direction.

Baekhyun- Pretty good character, seems adventurous which could be an issue if he's too reckless, like the scene with the demons, but I like that he's lived by himself with his power. Makes me wonder what's going on with him.

Kyungsoo- He's been mentioned a few times by Baekhyun in his inner thoughts and I'm curious to who he was and what part he will end up playing in all of this.

Flow 

The flow was generally good overall, I confused myself at one part but it's probably because I'm half asleep right now but besides me being an idiot, I think the flow of the story went together well and I really don't have any complaints about it.

Personal Enjoyment 

I enjoyed it actually. It was good and even though I never read idol x OC characters, I think this got some good things headed it's way. Who knows, I feel like this could also be featured one of these days since it's a pretty damn good story so far. I would have read more as I said but I just want to get more things done and I have more fanfics to write myself. I think I'm gonna add this onto the featured list on the shop so yeah, that's a thing. Other than that, I hope this made sense.