Housemate by Chimslunatic

VᴇʀꜱᴀEᴍᴇʀɢᴇ ʀᴇᴠɪᴇᴡ ꜱʜᴏᴘ Archive。
auMhf5C.png
REVIEWER'S CORNER
Interesting choice for a poster, I guess it's fitting and kind of appealing to look at. I 
think the colors go well together so yeah, that's nice. It's 4:30 am so I'm just gonna
go sleep and be emo about life. 
housemate
LINK
BY CHIMSLUNATIC


Title:
The title isn't really original or eye-catching. It's just kind of generic, really. I've seen titles like this before, way too often may I add, or some kind of variation with "housemate" or "roommate" yadda yadda so it's not the strongest title but it's not the worst out there. I couldn't come up with a better title since I'm awful at titles myself but as a reader, I wouldn't be enthralled enough to click on it if I saw it in the "newly updated page".

Description/Foreword:
Pretty short and to the point, doesn't reveal too much of the story which is always good. The description is decent I'd say since it's pretty much stating how the whole thing started by them being invited. The whole "what will happen there?" is a good question to get readers thinking about what could possibly happen there so I'd say the description is decent even if it's kind of generic. Lots of things end with "what will happen there?" and while asking a question to get people thinking is good, it's not always compelling or interesting to hear the same thing over and over again.

Plot:
Even before reading I knew the plot would be a bit generic (unless a big plot twist comes in later chapters) since I've seen the roommate/housemate kind of plots before with different idols, oc's, etc. It's just a plot that seems to be common. Maybe that'll change after reading some of it, maybe it won't change. We'll see.

So the beginning did start off different from what I was imagining but it's still a little cliche. The part where Suga plays Jimin's song (I ALMOST WROTE YOONGI GDI SUGA PLAYS YOONGI'S SONG, I need to stop the reviewing at 4am) obviously is kind of setting it up for the whole... meeting? I guess. Yeah, DJ's play popular songs but I can't see a DJ playing Lie - it's a weird sight to think about. The DJs I see play more cypher-like or dance stuff like David Guetta(?) but I'm getting too into that topic.

The plot overall is pretty cliche and has been done a lot of times before on this website alone. So it's not that original and eh, the way they meet is just too convienient and I feel like there's just not going to be much of a interesting concept to it. If there's a plot twist, I won't know since I am not you and I can't read minds but I hope there'll be a twist that will make a generic plot not so generic.

Writing Style/Flow:
One thing i actually had to stop and look at twice was the first part of Suga's dialogue. "Firstly first, let's listen to that one song that is currently topping all chart right now" I actually snorted and I didn't know why until my brain caught on. I think the phrase "firstly first" doesn't make sense. If that was a typo, then I have  no idea what it would be. But firstly first makes no sense. If anything the sentence should start like this (all changes will be marked in red):

"First off, let's listen to that one song that is currently topping all of the charts right now"

In the second chapter, I kind of went "what?" because of Seokjin's part. "OMG OMG!!!" made me cringe, I guess. It sounds like a teenager spazzing over some boy group and it sounds like a text message I'd get from someone. I'd at least change it to "Oh my God" since OMG is text-language, not really story language. I would limit the use of OMG.

Another thing I noticed is when you use more than one period when someone is talking, they seem like an awkward, depressed, teenager. I always read it as such. Example would be: "If you think so.. Thank you Tae.." Like I feel like he sounds sad and that kinda bothered me, I guess. It's funny what a period can do to change the tone of someone's voice.

Characterization:
Yoongi seemed kind of out of character and his inner thoughts made me cringe. (Don't know if it's cause it's not like him or because of the fact that this ship is one I don't like at all - probably a little of both.) I don't really see Yoongi as one to go "ing , what am I gonna do" etc and have like a mental freak out over meeting someone. I feel like he'd be one to just not care at first encounter but would care as time went on when feelings get developed. I do see him as one to swear though just not like that. That's how he is represented in a lot of the fanfics I read so I'm used to that, too, so it just seemed out of character for him to really act like that over meeting someone.

Seokjin also seemed out of character. I'm wondering if you were trying to make them seem like themselves or not but since it's supposed to be an idol!fic, I'm just seeing them as themselves. I feel like Jin wouldn't be spazzing in his head like a teenager. These two are the only ones I really had anything to say about.

Personal Enjoyment:
Even before reading, I knew I wouldn't really enjoy it because I'm not a fan of the main ship at all, it's one of the ones I thoroughly despise actually but I didn't let that effect the review (since I'm not here to be biased or hate on people's likes) but the concept wasn't really appealing to me either. The whole "invited to a new show" concept to get the idols to meet is overrused and I've seen it too much. I've probably even reviewed fanfics like that too over the past 2, almost 3, years. It really just wasn't for me I guess. I've read one EXO fanfic like that that got featured long time ago, possibly 2 years ago?, and it had the same kind of concept to being invited into a house with rules and so on.

Anyways, if you have any questions on the review, let me know, I hope I was of some help to you. Don't forget to credit the shop and good luck.