Ninety-One

Trigger

 

The doctor was going through the halls when her feet instinctively stopped in front of one of her patient’s doors. For a second she hesitated before looking into the room, but was surprised to see it empty.

Curiously, the doctor opened the door to inspect the empty room and check the progress board, “Where is she.”

Suddenly on a mission, the doctor forgot about her schedule to look around the hospital for this particular patient. The doctor checked the cafeteria, then the courtyard and even went over to the parking lot not sure if the patient called a cab to escape. Standing outside the doctor was confused on where the girl could have gone that she didn’t think of. Then it occurred that even if her schedule was empty, her patient was fond of one other doctor at the hospital.

Going around to the physical therapy department, the young doctor looked into the gym/training facility and there she was. Smiling slightly, she watched her patient work diligently on the machines that were to strengthen her leg muscles, “so you were hiding here.”

Suddenly the door opened the doctor nearly fell backwards, “I thought it was you peaking in.”

Laughing sheepishly, the doctor rubbed the back of her head, “She wasn’t in her room. How is she doing.”

Dr. Kwon folded her arms as she nudged towards the door, “Every day. Sometimes she is here morning to night. I told her to take an off day but she wants to walk more than anything. I won’t stop her from getting better.”

“Isn’t she doing too much? Excess stress can cause her to relapse.”

“I am keeping a good eye on her.”

The doctor rubbed her arm nervously, “I haven’t talked to her since…”

“Since she woke up? Ah yea…I went to see her that day too.”

The doctor perked up, “Did she say anything?”

Dr. Kwon shook her head, “No. I did most of the talking and then she started to come here. Did you want to say hi?”

“I-I don’t think it is a good idea. After she woke up, she didn’t seem to want to see me.”

“Come on. Let’s go in and find out if that is what she really meant.”

Dr. Jung started to resist Dr. Kwon’s persistent pull on her arm, “I can’t…she is in there…”

“Oh come on. She needs to eat. Take her to the cafeteria and talk things over. Now come on. I have a very busy schedule.” Dr. Jung let herself get pulled into the room, “Taeyeon look who I found in the halls.”

Dr. Jung glared at her friend before looking at Taeyeon shyly, “I um wanted to see how you were doing? It has been a few days.”

Taeyeon gave her doctor a small smile, “I have had better days.”

Dr. Kwon could sense the tense atmosphere so she clapped her hands and started helping Taeyeon into a nearby wheelchair, “How about you take a break Taeyeon and get some lunch. Since Dr. Jung is here, she can take you.”

Taeyeon glared at Dr. Kwon for a second, “I am not that hungry.”

“None sense. You were here since morning.”

Dr. Jung watched as Taeyeon didn’t argue with the therapist and let her be put into the wheelchair with assistance.

“Okay that looks good. You two have fun in the cafeteria.” Dr. Kwon smiled at her two friends and shooed them out of her department.

It was a silent walk to the cafeteria as both were too shy to start up any kind of conversation. Before they went to the table, Dr. Jung asked Taeyeon what food she wanted and Taeyeon answered Kimchi fried rice that the doctor glared at her patient for, but still got the meal for her favorite patient.

Sitting across from Taeyeon, the doctor played with her food for a while before striking up conversation, “Y-you are doing okay?”

Taeyeon smiled slightly, “you asked that before.”

The doctor laughed, “I guess I did…”

Taeyeon put down her fork and looked up into the doctor’s eyes. She saw two different people when she looked into those innocent eyes. One was the present doctor and the other was someone she openly loved in her dreams causing her heart to beat a little faster. In a split second, she decided that she could only have one Dr. Jung so she chose, “Sooyeon…”

Hearing her name come out of Taeyeon’s mouth with a sensual charm, the doctor felt her heart swell, “y-yes.”

Taeyeon smiled gently at Sooyeon’s usual shy nature and not the strong doctor front she used around her other patients, “I am getting better. I am getting better for you. It might take some time, but when I can walk enough to get out of this wheelchair, I am going to take you somewhere special to me. Until then, I am going to be busy with Dr. Kwon. I hope you understand.”

The doctor was suddenly lost in those black orbs of determination.

“Sooyeon?”

Shaking her head, the doctor blinked a few times regaining her composure, “ah yea…I mean okay.”

Taeyeon a laughed loudly at the doctor’s loss of words making her think that not everything she imagined was a dream. Her Sooyeon may still be here after all.