Fifty-Nine

Trigger

 

 

 

Taeyeon sat in the backseat of the car leaning her head on her mother’s shoulder. The warmth of her parents embrace was something she never thought possible until now. The years of scraping by and trying to make a living in America meant no visits back to her home.

Sitting up front, Taeyeon could see her fiancé talking happily with her father, “Baby how did you get my parent’s contact?”

Turning around, the other girl saw the precious sight of mother and daughter enjoying the warmth of another, “I may have snooped a bit to get their contact. They were more than happy to meet us at the airport since my parents can’t see us for a few days and my sister is working.”

“She was so sweet on the phone saying she was going bring you here back to us. How come you never introduced us before? She is the girl you are dating right?”

Taeyeon was shocked that she never brought up her name before, “Oh…umma…appa…this is my girlfriend – “

“Oh Tae and I are actually engaged.” The other woman showed off the rather expensive ring.

Taeyeon’s eyes widened in shock, “umma…”

Taeyeon’s mother observed the ring on both of their fingers, “Taeyeon…you are getting married?”

Feeling in the hurt in her mother’s voice, Taeyeon sat straight up, “umma…it isn’t what you think. We are not getting married.”

Taeyeon’s fiancé looked at Taeyeon crossed, “What? We are engaged doesn’t that mean marriage? You did ask me to marry you Kim Taeyeon.”

The older woman’s heart sank a bit, “I did but…”

“Taeyeon are you saying you don’t want to marry me?” The younger girl raised her voice a bit, “Tell me the truth do you want to get married?”

Taeyeon bit her bottom lip in nervousness, “I-It…I mean can we talk about this later?”

“Later?! Like after we got married? Is this why you haven’t read any of the magazines I gave you?” The girl leaned back in frustration brushing her fingers through her hair just realizing now when all the signs were there.

“I didn’t say no, but not now. I get that things have been crazy and I may have not planned the engagement right, but I am not ready.”

The girl looked back at Taeyeon who was now leaning forward ready to confront this topic, “why would you propose if it wasn’t the right time?”

“I don’t know! Things seemed strange after Tiffany and I thought it was the best thing to do at the time.”

Taeyeon’s mother held onto Taeyeon’s lap hoping to coax the girl to relax, “I think you both need to talk this through.”

Taeyeon’s dad looked back for a second, “After dinner ok?”

Just then cracks could be heard surrounding the car. Seconds later, the car started shaking violently rocking it back and forth as if in an earthquake. Turning their attention to the cars in front, they noticed cars disappearing one by one as the road gave way. It was a domino effect as the bridge collapsed foot by foot. They knew there was nothing they could do so Taeyeon’s mother quickly pulled her daughter into her arms protectively giving her one last embrace before they fell.