Sixty-Nine

Trigger

 

 

 

Dr. Kwon knocked on the patient’s door before going in, “Oh did I miss an appointment?”

The doctor shook her head, “No. You still only have the one at the end of the week. I just wanted to see you and talk.”

Taeyeon was surprised but gestured to the chair in her room, “You are always welcome.”

Taking a seat, Dr. Kwon scooted closer to her patient, “Dr. Jung told me what happened the other day.”

“Oh…yea…”

“She is absent today.”

“She told me she was taking the day off.” Taeyeon remembered their conversation when Dr. Jung told her that she needed to take care of the funeral arrangements.

Shifting in her chair uncomfortably, “Well how are you doing?”

Taeyeon sighed and looked down at her hands, “I am fine. I have this strange feeling of relief…it sounds strange but I don’t feel much sadness like the other day, I feel content.”

“I could see that…my umm grandmother died of cancer. Near the end, there were days where I hoped she would pass away. I didn’t like seeing her in pain and battling something that didn’t have any hope of recovery. At the time, I felt like I had no soul…wishing death upon her.” Dr. Kwon leaned her head back holding in the tears, “Then she passed and I cried my heart out. It took me a while to know that I did want the best for her. Death was the only way for her to find relief.”

Taeyeon nodded along, “I don’t think you were bad to think those thoughts. It is hard seeing someone in pain…as for Krystal…Dr. Jung told me many times that she left us long ago. Her body was an empty vessel for a long time now.”

“So having her off the life support gave you closure?”

“Yea,” Taeyeon started to play with her fingers unable to look up, “It is strange that you could have a healthy body but not really be living. Now…she has neither so she must really be gone.”

Dr. Kwon leaned forward and took one of Taeyeon’s hands, “I know you are going to be discharged soon, but outside of therapy, I wish you would see me as a friend to talk to. Although one friend had to leave, I want you to know that you gained so many others.”

Taeyeon gave the doctor a sincere smile, “I am not sure if fate is real but I believe I was sent to this hospital for a reason.”

“If it was fate that brought us together, then I am happy.”

“Even after all that has happened the past few days, I am happy too.” Taeyeon squeezed Dr. Kwon’s hand, “I am truly happy.”