Seventy-Seven

Trigger

 

 

Taeyeon turned the key in the door for what felt like the last time, “So this is it.”

The doctor watched Taeyeon stare blankly at the door knob, “It doesn’t have to be if you don’t want it to be. It will take time to sell the house, so you can come back whenever you want. I will take you back.”

Taeyeon walked away from the door and gave the doctor a huge smile, “No this is best. I need to lock away my past to move forward.”

“Taeyeon…”

“No no…I don’t want this kind of past to define me.”

Smiling the doctor put her hand on Taeyeon’s shoulder, “Then don’t let it. Be you Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon let the doctor guide her to the car and helped her in.

The doctor started the engine ready to take off but when she saw Taeyeon gazing at the house longer, the doctor turned off the car, “Taeyeon…” the doctor sighed heavily, “are you really ready to let go of this?”

Taeyeon gave the doctor a bitter smile, “I have a childhood spent in that house, but only my parents lived there. I never did. I was just thinking how this is it. The young and scared Taeyeon who had to make a life changing decision years ago is ready to leave forever.” Reaching over the middle console, Taeyeon laced her and the doctor’s fingers together, “I don’t regret leaving. I don’t regret having a relationship with your sister and I don’t regret having that accident because life can work in mysterious ways. I am where I am supposed to be…in a car with you…” Taeyeon paused to squeeze the doctor’s hand, “…ready to drive off together.”

“I think I am where I need to be too….” Dr. Jung said barely over a whisper but Taeyeon heard every word. For a second the world stopped as they shared the happiness in their eyes towards one another.