Sixty

Trigger

 

 

Part 6

 

~Present [Cont. from Chapt. 49]~

 

“Taeyeon! Taeyeon!” Dr. Jung rushed over to the wall and pushed the emergency call button, “Code blue! Patient not breathing bring crash cart!”

In a few seconds, the nurses rush in with an oxygen bag and crash cart while Dr. Jung is administering CPR on her unconscious patient. Without having to be told the nurses charge the cart while the patient is being hooked up to the monitors, “She is flat lining doctor.”

“Put her on the bag,” Dr. Jung rips open Taeyeon’s shirt exposing her upper body, “Is it full charged?”

“Yes doctor.”

Dr. Jung puts gel onto the pads and quickly places them on Taeyeon’s chest, “Clear!”

The jolt is sent through Taeyeon’s body but the monitor still shows a flat line. Charging the cart again Dr. Jung shocks her patient again. Then again and again.

“Doctor she has a pulse.”

Dr. Jung lets go of the pads and manually checks for a pulse even though the monitor clearly says she has one. On the brink of tears, Dr. Jung tries to collect herself enough to tell the nurses to put her in the ICU on oxygen.

Although the patient was gone and in the care of the ICU, Dr. Jung remained numb and on the floor of her office. It was there that Dr. Kwon found her friend, “Hey…are you okay?”

Dr. Jung looked up pitifully at her friend, “what if she doesn’t wake up again?”

Dr. Kwon quickly went to the floor and swooped up Dr. Jung into a hug, “She will be fine. I went to the ICU and saw that she was breathing and vitals were normal.”

Dr. Jung ducked her head into Dr. Kwon’s chest, “I did this.”

“Why would you say that?”

“Her seizures…they happen more often. Like she remembers something important and then she…” Dr. Jung doesn’t even want to think of the end result. Seeing Taeyeon shaking on the floor helpless makes her feel guilty, “Yuri…I don’t want to help her anymore.”

Dr. Kwon looks down at the tears stained on her friend’s face, “Why would you say that?”

“Her life is more important than her memory. I don’t want to treat the amnesia…I just want her to live a long and happy life.”

“She has a long recovery…neural disorders are complicated to treat. We can reduce her attacks with medication but these seizures could be a long-time battle for her. Whether they are caused by memory being regained or the stress from trying to remember, we don’t know but also think how she feels. Not knowing who you are and the people you love…I think she would rather remember than forget completely.”

Dr. Jung knew what she had to do but the question now was her patient going to wake up again?