Twenty-Seven

Trigger

 

Jeonju. I am here. I thought this place would be bigger since it is the capitol of a province. Guess I was wrong. I don’t really want to be here but I have to come bring the bad news in person. Bearer of bad news again.

“Hello can you bring me to this address.”

“Yes mam. Did you need help with your bags?”

“No thanks, I only have a small bag.”

At least the taxi drivers are very nice here.

 

This home seems a little bigger than those in the city. It must be nice living away from the hustle and bustle of the city life.

*knock knock*

“Yes?”

“Hello are you Mrs. Kim?”

“Yes I am and you are?”

“You may not know me but I have news of your brother Soonwan Kim and your sister-in-law Eunji Kim…also your niece Kim Taeyeon.”

“I haven’t heard from them in many years and you tell them that I don’t want to see them ever again that overly ungrateful brother and his family!”

Holy …

“Wait! I came to tell you that there was a huge accident and that your brother and his wife passed.”

“What?”

“You are the only living family member I could find for them, but Taeyeon is still alive in a coma.”

“I see. Well I still want nothing to do with them. They were dead to me a long time ago.”

. Did she just slam the door in my face? How am I supposed to figure out burial rights without any jurisdiction as a family member? I will have to find another way to get the will taken care of but what to do now that I am all the way in Jeonju?

----------------------

“Yes sir thank you for seeing me on such short notice.”

“No worries but you said you knew of the Kims?”

“I am not that familiar with them as much but my sister knew Taeyeon and I was in contact with the police that told me that you were the one holding onto the Kim will?”

“Yes they did come here to establish a will in case of death.”

“Is there any way for me to see that their will is taken care of? I went to see the only living family member but she said she didn’t want anything to do with the family.”

“Oh of course Ms. Jung there is. If that family member wants to release all rights to the will, she just needs to fill out this form and waive it. Very easy actually. Once you do that, I will release the will to you and you can set up funeral services as well.”

“Oh thank you.”

“No problems.”

----------------------------

Ok back at mean old lady’s house. Please don’t shut the door in my face again.

“Oh it is you again. I told you before I didn’t want anything to do with those Kims.”

“I know! I just came here for you to waive your rights. I know you despise them and all but I want to make sure they have a proper funeral and all.”

“What are you after Miss? Do you want their money?”

“What no?! If anything it goes to Taeyeon when she wakes up.”

“I don’t believe you. No one would go out of their way for people they don’t know.”

“I know it may be strange but Taeyeon was very special to my sister and I know Taeyeon wants her parents to have a proper burial. It would be dehumanizing to not have one in my opinion.”

Please please just sign the form.

“Come in.”

Come in? This woman looks crazy! I don’t want to…but maybe she will sign my paper if I come…jeez…in the future, Kim Taeyeon you owe me big time!

“You may sit. I have something to get.”

I hope she doesn’t kill me.

“Here. This is a book of family if you need for the funeral services. Although I doubt many, if any would come. There is a lot of bad blood regarding my brother’s marriage.”

“Do you mind me asking why?”

“Eunji seems like a nice girl but everyone knows in the family that she caused my brother’s suicide…that would be Soonwan’s older brother and Eunji’s first fiancé. He was driven to madness after he found out Soonwan and Eunji were having an affair behind his back. As for Taeyeon…no one is sure if she is Soonwan’s actual daughter. Since the incident, no one in the family has spoken to Soonwan. In my opinion, that accident of his is karma.”

What the hell? No one deserves to die. This whole family is insane!

“I will sign your little form. It would finally cut the chains to that good for nothing brother of mine.”

Damn…she is a .

“I signed so we have nothing more to do here.”

Can I -slap her? She can’t even love her brother!

“Alright thank you mam.”

-------------------

“How was your little break?”

“Was ok. I learned a lot more about Taeyeon.”

“Oh yea?”

“Her whole family is bat- crazy! They all hold this huge grudge against her father and mother and get this, Taeyeon may not even be her father’s real daughter.”

“What? Seriously?”

“Yea it was like super complicated.”

“Are you still going to hold the wake now that you have the rights to their will?”

“Of course. I already read that they have a burial plot so that makes things easier. I will also but in a notification in the paper.”

“If you said that the whole family is messed up, do you think anyone would come?”

“Honestly Heechul…I have no idea.”