Twenty-Two

Trigger

*Double update (make sure to read the chapter before if not already)*

 

 

“Hello Ms. Jung, please sit down.”

It feels so stuffy in here.

“As you know, I am the hospital lawyer and I will be handling your case free of charge since you are a resident here. I’m already aware of your predicament and this may not seem like the best time to get affairs in order but as her only relative, I need you to do so. Firstly, I need you to sign a form. I have two in front of you. If you want to keep your sister on life support, sign the left and if you want to pull the plug and allow for organ donation, sign the right.”

“I already decided. I am going to keep her on life support for now.”

“Very well. Just sign here then.”

I won’t lose you just yet.

“Although your sister is still breathing and alive, she is on solid support from the machines making her dependent on you. It would be wise for you to settle her estate which is in....the USA.”

“Is it necessary to do now?”

“Ms. Jung...I am not sure if you are aware of the date but it has been 3 months since the accident. Her lease might be up and you need to settle these things. Can you really afford to pay for her living costs and an empty apartment?”

“I have a lot saved from our parent’s passing.”

“If you are thinking of having her live long term, I am afraid that may not be enough.”

“I understand. I can take care of it.”

“Great. I just need you to fill out some of these documents to have all her property transferred to you.”

----------------------------

“Hey sis...I um don’t know if you can hear me but you will be transferred soon because I am going to be selfish and have you stay with me a bit longer.”

God won’t these tears ever stop?

“But...I came to tell you something else. I am going to America today. If you would open your eyes you could see that I leave tonight. I am so scared that I lost all my English skills since I left. I need to go there because....because you can no longer live in your apartment. I’m so sorry I have to take your home away but it has to be done. I hope you can forgive me later...”

I wanted to visit before...but not like this.

“I ah also will tell mom and dad...I will go visit them. Maybe they can tell God to not let him take you away from me. Anyway...I have to go now. Don’t be scared while I am away. It will be only for a little while and Heechul said he will look after you. Although he seems very incompetent, he’s a good doctor and a great friend.”

“Bye for now sis.”

-----------------------------

*Conversation in English*

“So you are her sister eh?”

“Yes.”

“I wouldn’t normally open the door for strangers but your passport looks legit and you really do look like her. She was a great girl. Always paid rent on time. Shame to see a great tenant go through an accident like that.”

“Yea...I am going to cancel her lease.”

“You ok with losing the deposit?”

“It is fine. There’s no reason to keep the apartment...she is going to stay with me from now on.”

“Alright here we are. When you finish moving everything out, I just have some paperwork for you to sign and turn the keys in. No rush so take as many days as you need.”

“Alright thanks. Oh umm is it ok if I leave the bigger items like TV, couch and bed? I can only transfer the personal items back.”

“You are going to just leave those?”

“Yea. I really can’t take them back. You can do whatever you want with the stuff I leave.”

“Ok. I guess that is fine. Never had a tenant do that before but ok.”

“Thank you mister.”

“Sure...and umm sorry about your sister...she umm was too young for such a thing to happen like that.”

Alright...it’s time. I can’t believe this is the first time I am going to see her apartment not via Skype. Why didn’t I think of visiting her? Sure medical school was tough but she should have been a priority.

Open!

Oh God...this is a lot cleaner than I expected.

Does look nice. Great decoration choices...well I guess she gets some designer sense from me.

Where to start? Maybe the bedroom? Most of her personal items should be in there right?

Haha ok...most of the apartment is clean except the bedroom. She looked to be in a hurry with so many clothes everywhere. Hum some of these don’t even look like her clothes or style of clothing. Goodness I can barely walk with all these clothes around. I better clean these up so I can get around the room better. Geez the floor is literally covered in clothes.

Oh? What is this? A photo album. I bet she didn’t even know this was under the giant pile of clothing.

Oh my...we were so young in here! “We were so cute then.”

Pictures with mom and dad...I miss them too. How am I supposed to do all this on my own? Everyone I love...gone.

“Who is this?” A friend? This girl looks familiar. They must be really good friends with all the skinship. Good to know she had a great friend to be with.

“What is this? So many hearts around one picture...no way...she she had a girlfriend? Why didn’t she tell me?” Did she think I wouldn’t approve? Was that why she was visiting me in Korea?

Why does this girl look so familiar? Maybe if I find her...I should find her. She might not know about the accident.

Humm there is some writing at the bottom of this photo:

‘I l♥ve you Kim Taeyeon.’

“Kim Taeyeon...where are you and are you really dating my sister?”