Seventy

Trigger

 

“In the name of the father, son and holy spirit. Brother and sisters we are gathered here to remember the life and love of Soojung, Krystal, Jung. She was a loving daughter, sister and friend who we were all lucky to have known in our lifetime. Although death comes suddenly to such a young daughter of God, we gather to remember the life she has shared with us today. Please come up if there is something you want to share with us.” The priest stepped off the podium and gave the mic to Dr. Jung who was waiting nearby.

“Hello…umm for those that came as friends of my late sister, I am Sooyeon or Jessica if she talked about me by my American name. Anyway…I just wanted to say that Soojung was the best sister anyone could ask for. I loved her so much and she supported me in more ways than I could ever imagined even when the past few years of her life we were not together.” Dr. Jung cleared as she continued, “As a child she was much more outgoing than me and she dragged me out on all these wild adventures.  I could tell that the world was not big enough for her. When she said that she was going to go back to America to study, I was confused. She could have gone anywhere to do whatever she wanted but she thought her home was always there. It took a while for me to find out that I was glad she did that but later would regret letting her go. Today I want you to know my baby sister, that I am glad to let you go and find your peace. Go to heaven and tell those angels about your stories until I come up and see you again. I love you now and forever.”

Dr. Jung walked up to the coffin and kissed it before going back into the crowd.

The mic remained empty for a while until another woman slowly walked up to the mic, “Hello…umm my name is Tiffany Hwang. I knew Krystal as she spent her time in America. We were close friends and I guess you could say mortal enemies. I am not proud of a lot of things I did near the end of Krystal’s life but I hope she finds it in her heart to forgive the younger and foolish me. I am not here to ask for forgiveness though…I just wanted to be here and tell you and all these witnesses that you were a vessel of happiness. Everywhere you went, you could make us smile and filled our hearts with warmth. I miss your kindness and heart the most. I ah…” Tiffany broke down in a flood of tears, “I ah…I hope you are in a good place.”

Using the assistance of rails, Tiffany left the stage and went back into the crowd comforted by other friends who came from America to be at the funeral. One after another, Krystal’s American friends gave their parting words to Krystal making Dr. Jung cry out in joy that her sister was so well loved. The flood-gates of tears didn’t spill until another loved one took the stage.

“Hi. I am not good at these things. Oh I am Taeyeon. Kim Taeyeon…I don’t want to oust Krystal if you didn’t know but she was my girlfriend…ah well fiancé until the accident. We met in America after she took care of me across the hall. I was so poor that I didn’t really take care of myself but Krystal was always there to help me out. She was busy with her job and friends but always found time to see how I was doing. I guess you could say that it moved my heart to the point where we started dating. Love is hard to admit for me because it holds a great weight…I like to give my whole heart to the one I love.” Taeyeon stopped as she looked out to the crowd for a second, “I wanted to give my whole heart to someone as kind and loveable as Krystal, but I couldn’t. I was in the accident with Krystal and my parents passed as well due to the bridge collapse. That trip was supposed to be our last as I was going to call off the engagement. I always thought God was bringing out his vengeance on me for wanting to break the heart of one of his angels…but why would he punish Krystal with her life? I never understood. So today I want to thank Krystal for guiding me to finding my happiness and sacrificing yourself so I could live. You were always so selfless to the end.”

Taeyeon was so weak exiting the stage that she nearly collapsed if it wasn’t for Dr. Kwon who was behind her giving support, “hey are you okay?”

With labored breathing Taeyeon managed to tell her friend that she was fine. Concerned with her patient’s condition, Dr. Jung rushed over, “should we have you taken back to the hospital?”

Taeyeon shook her head, “No. I want to be here.”

“Come here and sit,” Dr. Jung helped Dr. Kwon get Taeyeon back into her wheelchair as the procession went on with a few more speakers until the priest took over again.

“And now we give this life to God in the good graces of those around us today as witnesses. Amen.”

The crowd watched as the coffin lowered into the ground until it reached the bottom. One by one the mourners left until it was just Dr. Jung, Taeyeon and Dr. Kwon, “So this is really the end?”

Dr. Jung brought up her hand to rub the back of her patient’s neck, “No it is a new beginning. We will have a new beginning.”