Seventy-Eight

Trigger

 

 

Taeyeon hated this. She was bored out of her mind, “What time did she say she was coming back?”

Getting off the couch for the first time since she got up 4 hours ago, Taeyeon padded her way to the kitchen where Dr. Jung hung up her work schedule, “What! Why so late?! How can a doctor function after a 12 hour day?!” Taeyeon pouted as she read over the schedule over and over again, “doctors must have a hard job.” Defeated knowing the doctor wasn’t going to return home till later, Taeyeon went around the kitchen to fix lunch.

Since the two returned from Taeyeon’s hometown, the doctor went back to work leaving Taeyeon home alone during the day. At first, Taeyeon binged on cartoons and started gaming on the doctor’s spare laptop but the third day of this, Taeyeon didn’t find as much fun in cartoons and gaming. She often waited around for the doctor to come home and keep her company.

Luckily, Taeyeon liked strawberry jelly sandwiches otherwise she would starve in Dr. Jung’s house. The doctor never went food shopping and Taeyeon couldn’t walk farther than the convenience store below the apartment. Also, Taeyeon didn’t have her passwords or a new bank card so she was constantly borrowing money from Dr. Jung. Taeyeon was happy the doctor let her use the empty apartment claiming it was easier to take her to therapy if Taeyeon stayed at her place for 3 months than trying to find somewhere else to live, but that meant Taeyeon went further into debt with the kind doctor.

Happily eating her sandwich while watching the midafternoon cartoons, Taeyeon wasn’t expecting the door to unlock. Fearing an intruder, Taeyeon grabbed the nearest object to protect herself.

Walking through the door, the doctor came home to a comical sight. Taeyeon in the cutest bear pajamas, face smothered with jelly holding up the remote as if that would protect her.

Excited, Taeyeon used all her energy to get off the couch and scrabbled towards the doctor, “You are home! Early!”

The doctor giggled as Taeyeon smothered her into a hug. She was very happy to be home too, “Yea…I had a patient reschedule so I thought I would bring lunch home.”

Taeyeon looked down at the bag, “oh…”

“Are you still hungry or did you want to finish the sandwich you were eating?” The doctor reached forward and wiped the evidence off the blushing girl’s face.

“Ah…I…umm.” Stuttered Taeyeon wondering when did the doctor get so close.

The doctor ruined the sweet moment by holding up the bag, “I brought home Tteokbokki and fish cakes.”

Taeyeon’s eyes lit up hearing the doctor bought her favorite foods. The older woman grabbed the bag to look inside and smell the sweet aroma, “I miss this so much.”

“It is an apology. I am sorry I am not around to keep you company. You can’t walk well and I have to leave you here to go to work.” The doctor started rambling.

Taeyeon interjected, “It is fine. I don’t expect you to be here for me all the time…I do miss you when you are gone…but I still want you to be a great doctor and heal people like you did me.”

With a bashful grin, the doctor looked away quickly before she was caught, “Ah anyway, should we eat together?”

Taeyeon pulled out the items and the two sat down at the small two-person table and dug into the simple meal. While Taeyeon dived into the comfort food, the doctor smiled softly at the girl across from her. Seeing the smiling and bright face of Taeyeon, Dr. Jung knew cancelling her lunch appointment was the best choice she made the whole week.