Seventy-Five

Trigger

 

 

After much argument, Dr. Jung won her battle to let Taeyeon have her sleep on the futon in the living room, but much to her dismay, the doctor still couldn’t sleep. Every time she closed her eyes, pictures of Taeyeon’s melancholic face plagued her mind. She wanted to see the beautiful smile and the husky laugh of the old Taeyeon, the one that was able to forget her troubles due to amnesia. Did she really do the right thing to force Taeyeon’s memories back? Was remembering one’s self really beneficial when there were so may bad memories that come with it?

The sound of a clank in the kitchen jolted Dr. Jung out of her daze and quickly turned to see who was intruding in the house. Carefully, the doctor snuck around to the kitchen. Turning the corner, Dr. Jung saw Taeyeon leaning on the counter with a glass of water next to her, “Taeyeon?”

Taeyeon nearly knocked over her water when she heard her name, “Oh…did I wake you?”

“No…I was still awake.” The doctor moved closer to join Taeyeon in the kitchen, “Is there a lot on your mind?”

Taeyeon gave a dry laugh, “yea.”

Dr. Jung wanted to go into doctor-mode and analyze all of her troubles, but that didn’t seem like what Taeyeon needed so she shook off her doctor façade and leaned in as a friend, “care to tell me what is bothering you?”

Taeyeon let out a long sigh forgetting about the water next to her, “everything is off…I tried laying in my bed but it made my blood boil and my skin itch….do you ever have a feeling that you just don’t belong in a place?”

“I have the opposite problem,” The doctor glided her fingers through her hair unable to look at Taeyeon, “I keep getting pulled somewhere I can’t go.”

Taeyeon raised her brow in interest, “why can’t you go there?”

Dr. Jung smiled, “because….because I feel like I am betraying someone I love if I do…you know a line that can’t be crossed or a wall that you can’t get past.”

Taeyeon stepped closer with enough space to hold onto the doctor if she wanted to, “Is it like there is a wall that is too hard to climb over but you know that the wall can be cracked if you work hard enough to break it down?”

The doctor looked up and locked her eyes with Taeyeon, “there are too many consequences if I pick up that hammer and break down the wall…not to mention…”

Taeyeon took one last step closer and grabbed the doctor’s hand, “what if we pick up that hammer together?”

“W-what?”

“If we keep building up this wall, how are we supposed to move forward?”

“Taeyeon…” Jessica whispered.

“Thank you for bringing me here. I think I know what I have to do now. I can’t be holding onto the bad memories anymore. I will take that first step forward.”

Jessica let out a bitter smile, “what is that?”

“I thought I would burn all the memories with this house but I realized erasing every thing of my parents will not give me closure alone.”

“So?”

“We need to go to the store tomorrow.”

The doctor smiled knowing what Taeyeon was planning, “Anything for you.”

Taeyeon giggled, “Thanks…I think I can rest well. If the futon is too uncomfortable, my bed is comfortable.”

The doctor waved her off, “No no…the couch is fine. Get some rest. You have a big day tomorrow.”

Taeyeon squeezed the doctor’s hand one last time before allowing her fingers to draw away, “have sweet dreams.”

“You too,” the doctor watched Taeyeon close the door behind her before she collapsed onto the floor. Grabbing onto her heart where her beating heart finally slowed, “idiot.”