Seven

Trigger

 

“So I noticed you have a little crush on the doctor?”

Go away short nurse! “Why do you say that?”

“When you suffered your little episode...I may have come across a certain picture. You have some skills I must say.”

“You went through my things? And how does a photo prove anything? I don’t see many people.”

Oh don’t raise your brow at me shortie, “I don’t see you denying it? You wouldn’t be the only one to crush on our doctor. Many patients like her for her kindness and beauty.”

I shall kill these people!

“D-does that mean you too?”

Why are you thinking? Yes or no answers!

“She is pretty so I admire her for that but I already have someone.”

“Ah.” One person down.

“Should I tell you a little secret?”

Secret? Sounds interesting, “Umm ok?”

“When you were in your coma, Dr. Jung would come here every day to talk to you. She doesn’t do that with any other patients.”

“W-what about?” Does she like me too?

“I tried listening to the door but couldn’t hear anything.”

Should I ask the doctor? What would she want to talk with me about...not like I could answer then.

“Oh Dr. Jung is coming...I am going to get out of here. You heard nothing from me!”

Maybe short nurse is good for gossip.

“Oh Nurse Sunny, were you doing a check up? I can come when you finish.”

“No just finished doc. She is all yours.”

Yes yes go away nurse who always is around. I get my precious alone time with the doctor. Oh a box?

“Well you look happy today? Did Nurse Sunny say something interesting or a joke?”

“Something interesting but it doesn’t matter...what is the box for?”

“It took a while to get these but we are going to try some memory exercise using pictures. You said you remembered your parents so we will start there.”

“What about physical therapy? I didn’t have that today.”

“Will get moved to tomorrow. We want you to rest a bit so I will be here doing memory exercises with you instead.”

I very much like this change in pace, “Ok show me what you got.”

“Ok I am going to show you photos and you just need to tell me if you know the person or if it looks familiar in anyway ok? I will make a yes and no pile. Hopefully as we go on, the ‘no’ pile will decrease as you regain your memory slowly.”

“Sounds easy enough.”

“So you said you remembered your parents. Is this the couple you remember?”

How could I forget their face before? “Yes.”

“Ok good. Remembering your parents is a great start. Let’s move on to some other photos.”

“No no no no no no...” This is boring. Other than my parents, the people next to me look like strangers. Frustrating, “no no no no no.”

“Really no one else?”

Aww don’t get disappointed. Not your fault. My brain is just acting stupid, “Can we take a break?”

That sigh sounds like defeat. Don’t give up on me! “Sure. We can take a break.”

“You know...other than the past I am a bit curious about my future.”

“You should worry about healing first.”

“Maybe because I don’t remember my past...I don’t dwell on it as much as I think about the future. Like what happens when I leave the hospital? Or if I leave and still have no memory or use of my legs? What kind of life could I build or what career should I have? Those kinds of things.”

“There are probably so many uncertain things in your life right now but you have to understand we are still in the beginning stages of getting you better. These things you worry about are not going to matter in 3 months from now or even sooner if we see some great progress.”

You say don’t worry but I do, “Ok...but even if I heal like you say...I can’t help but feel like I will return to society alone. My whole family is dead...I probably have friends like those in the picture but not one of them came to visit so what kind of friends are those?”

“You don’t have to be alone. You can always make new friends...some people would love having a fresh start like you get. Although you had tragedy...you don’t remember it and past memories that caused you pain, you also don’t remember. Maybe you should think of some positive things.”

“You said I don’t need to go back alone...does that mean you will stay with me?”

“If you want that?”

“I do.”

“Then you shouldn’t be worried about being alone. I will be at your side.”

Wow I feel like bursting with excitement, “I think I can stop worrying about the future then.”

Just as long as you stay next to me...there is nothing to worry about.