Sixty-Three

Trigger

 

 

The machine hummed in the background as Dr. Jung stood beside the radiologist and nurse, “it is the same as the initial scan?”

The radiologist scrolls through the images, “she is lucky that there is no brain damage from those seizures.”

Dr. Jung rubbed her arms in concern, “We still don’t know the trigger of the seizures though?”

The radiologist sat back in his chair, “every scan says that she shouldn’t be having any and the inflammation she had from the accident is gone which isn’t a contributing factor anymore.”

The woman sighed as she raked her fingers through her hair in frustration, “that means we could intervene with medicine.”

“You make it sound like that is a bad thing? Having no brain damage is usually something doctors love to hear from me.”

Dr. Jung laughed, “She had a severe car accident, seizures and memory loss…don’t you think we missed something? I just thought…if we caught the problem now we could prevent something bigger from happening.”

The radiologist looked back at the results from the scan, “The accident happened 4 years ago? The brain heals slower than most organs but if there was anything of concern from the accident, we should see it by now. Doctor I don’t think there is anything you need to worry about.”

The doctor looked over the radiologist to see Taeyeon being removed from the MRI, “I think it is time we wake her up and start her on anti-seizure medication.” Dr. Jung returned her attention to the radiologist, “Thanks for your help. I will see you soon I am sure.”

“Of course Dr. Jung. Happy to be of help.”

The doctor sped up her pace to catch up to the nurses carting Taeyeon back to her room, “Sunny can you page Dr. Lee and bring the EEG and an IV of lorazepam.”

The other nurse looked up in surprise, “We are going to wake her up?”

“Her scans returned normal so there is no need to keep her under any longer.”

The doctor and nurse returned to the room where Taeyeon was unhooked from her previous IV, “Hello Dr. Jung. So we are going to wake your patient up?”

“Yes.”

Nurse Sunny came back with the new IV and hooked it up while Dr. Lee went to place all the monitors for the EEG on Taeyeon, “Alright we will see here if her brain activity comes back.”

“How long does this take?” The nurse asked as they watched the monitor.

Dr. Lee pointed a light in Taeyeon’s eyes, “Not too long we hope. The faster she comes out of it, the better.”

Dr. Jung stood back as she bit her nails nervously. She just hoped that Taeyeon would come out of this and not slip back into a coma.

“Oh there we go. She is waking up now. Taeyeon? Taeyeon? Can you hear my voice and respond?”

Dr. Jung watched Taeyeon’s eyes twitch open.

Dr. Lee smiled as he looked at the patient, “There you go…Taeyeon do you know where you are?”

The patient looked around confused causing Dr. Jung to come to her patient’s side, “Taeyeon what is the last thing you remember? Do you remember me?”

Taeyeon squinted at the doctor still confused and groggy, “Krystal?”

Dr. Jung stood back trying to hold back her tears.