Twenty-One

Trigger

 

“Hey...how are you doing?”

“ing amazing after hearing she is brain dead.” I just want to be alone Heechul.

“Hey...I-I am sorry...but it wasn’t like we could do that much. I know it doesn’t make things any better but you should know that even if you were in there with us, there was nothing any of us could do.”

“You were right. That doesn’t make me feel any better.” It is still my fault.

“D-did you want me to get you anything?”

“I just want to be alone with her.”

“O-ok...umm just know that I am...I mean we are all here for you.”

“I know.” Just go. Without her...I have nothing left.

-----------------------

“Have you decided yet?”

“You are asking me to kill her or let her live.”

“No. I am asking you to let her go and possibly save another’s life or hold onto her needlessly.”

God Dr. Seok is so inconsiderate, “Have you lost anyone before? Had to decide to kill someone like this with your own hands?!”

“Dr. Jung! I am asking you to think like a doctor! These are decisions we have to make. These are things we have to do to help guide other families to do the right thing. You have to understand that your sister isn’t coming back but there are others that can benefit from her horrible situation. Heart donors are in...”

“Stop! Stop! Stop! I don’t care! I can’t lose her!”

“Dr. Jung...”

“Leave! Go away! I won’t let you touch her!”

“You will find out one day that I am right.”

“Get out!”

-----------------------------

“How are you doing today? Apple juice?”

“Heechul...why are you here every day? We just end up fighting cause I know you’re on Dr. Seok’s side to have me pull the plug.”

“I think your question is stupid. I am here cause I care and you are a good friend despite your lack of respect for a senior.”

“I would treat you like a senior if you acted like one. I swear you are like a child.”

“I guess it was good that I entered medical school a bit later then huh? That way we were the same mental age.”

“Your mental age is still lower.”

“At this point...I question that. Do you know why I am siding with Dr. Seok on this one?”

“Of course. I heard it a thousand times and read the charts. I know her condition.”

“No. There are other reasons aside from me being a third-party doctor.”

“Then why? You know how much she means to me. After our parents died...she was all I had.” God I miss you so much.

“You need to let her go because you need closure. If you let her stay like this, you will never get that. It will be hard to move on in life.”

“She is my life.” You still don’t get it.

“You say that now but I think you just haven’t discovered a new reason to live.”

“You mean like a boyfriend?”

“I mean your life is young. So many changes can happen in like your 60 years left. If you think about it mathematically, your sister was only one-fifth of your life. You have yet to discover the majority of your life at this point.”

“I think you fail to see that I only have one heart and she has all of it.”

“...If you remember correctly, your heart’s function is meant to replenish the old and make anew.”

“Does anatomy really reflect real life? I mean I don’t laugh when someone hits my funny-bone. Contradictory, it isn’t a bone at all and I find it hurts.”

“I won’t argue with you over this. I know this isn’t a decision to make light of but I don’t want to see you stuck in the same pit day after day rehashing regrets. I’d rather have you back to your old sarcastic and happy self because that is who you are...that is who your sister really remembers.”

“Does it make sense for me to be happy when her life ends?”

“Yes because you can still live. As a doctor, you see how precious a life is day after day, how dare you waste yours?”