Sixteen

Trigger

 

“Are you warm enough?”

“Yea. Where did you get these clothes? They fit nicely.”

“Well umm I thought we might be the same size...so they are umm mine. You couldn’t wear your old clothes and I don’t really have access to your old house with such short notice.”

O.M.G. I am in her clothes! You would think after a first date I could get into these...oh shut up erted Taeyeon, “T-thanks...” control that oncoming nosebleed!

“Good. We should get going. Need help getting into the wheelchair?”

“No no. Dr. Kwon has been showing me how to get in and out of one.” Alright Taeyeon shift your and hop in. Got it!

“Wow good job. I would like you to practice walking too but we have to walk a lot today. It would be better to just wheel you around.”

“I can walk ok! It is just my endurance is very low.”

Although you are behind me I can hear that giggle! Don’t laugh at me Dr. Jung!

“I know. You are still healing, but Dr. Kwon will whip you into shape.”

“Sometimes I wonder if I should fake a seizure before our appointments. She is a tyrant!”

“Don’t you dare Kim Taeyeon. I don’t need to have another heart attack from you.”

At least I know I am in your heart.

“Wow...fresh air!” Freedom! I escaped the asylum.

“Don’t be dramatic. I know nurse Sunny lets you out when I am not around.”

Who gave us up?

“Just remember Taeyeon, even if am not here, I always have eyes on you.”

That just gave me a chill.

“I will help you into the van. It is a little high.”

Ok Taeyeon keep yourself together. We have been this close before. Yea she helps me every so often if I fall and such. Does this count as a hug? Kind of like a side hug...we can count this. God she smells amazing. Wait, I smell like her today too! I am surrounded in the scent of Jung. What a wonderful day.

“Ok. Buckle your seatbelt.”

“Buckle up!”

“Good. Are you ready to go?”

“Let’s go! Road trip!”

“Taeyeon?”

“Only you and me Tae.”

“Taeyeon are you ok?”

“Huh?”

“You weren’t responding. I know this is the first time in a car since...well you know the accident. Are you having bad memories again? We don’t have to go if you...”

“Oh no. Not bad memories. I still want to go.” I saw her again...get a hold of yourself Taeyeon.

“Alright. It is not a long drive.”

“Where are we going?”

“Anywhere we want. Nothing can stop us!”

“We both have a job, need money, have family...”

“Oh don’t ruin the fun Tae. Just enjoy your freedom!”

“Maybe I am not as young and free as you.”

“Oh stop making fun of me being younger than you. I am not that much younger than you. You just act like an old lady.”

“Do not!”

“Do to!”

“Aish so childish.”

“Old hag.”

“Whatever. So where are we going?”

“To the end of the earth!”

“Really? Not going to tell me?”

“It would ruin the surprise...”

“Taeyeon wake up.”

Another dream...I wish these all would make more sense, “Are we there?”

“Yea. You slept the whole way.”

“Oh sorry. I just felt really tired suddenly.”

“You are on some different pain medication right now. It might make you sleepy. I am going to get the wheelchair.”

Those dreams...make me feel so happy but I feel depressed when I wake up. But I am with Dr. Jung today! I should be happy. Yes. Happy happy Taeyeon.

“Here Taeyeon let me help you in.”

Yes very happy to be waited on by Dr. Jung who smells amazing and is kind and wonderful. Don’t think about dream.

“So what is this place?”

“In your parents will they had asked to be placed in the family crypt after cremation. I am sure you don’t remember but you did have a sister. She died about two years before your parents.”

“D-do you know how?”

“I think from illness. I am not sure but from what I understood, that was why you were living in America before your accident.”

“I was in America?” Why does Dr. Jung keep hiding things from me! Gah I am getting frustrated.

“Ah yes. If you didn’t know, you can speak English very well.”

“Dr. Jung why didn’t you tell me these things before? I would have liked to know I had a sister, where I was living, everything about the accident, before and after. It is like you are hiding things from me...”

Was I too harsh? She looks a bit conflicted.

“Tae-Taeyeon...I am not hiding things from you. When dealing with memory loss, people can create fake memories based off stories and details they hear or things that are happening around them at the moment. As your doctor, I need to sort through which memories are true or not to analyze your progress. I don’t tell you everything so I can understand that these memories are real. If you remembered your sister by yourself, then your childhood memories came back. If you remembered America, then I knew your more recent memories came back. But now that we are here, I think you should know more about your family and circumstances.”

“Well even if these are things you can’t tell me to help with my progress, I still want to know these things. I want to understand my family and things leading up to the accident.”

“We will get through all this step by step Taeyeon. Today you will meet your family. Unfortunately, you are the only Kim left, the rest of them are here in this crypt.”

God...do I really want to remember? My life looks so pathetic and bleak.

“Are you ready to see them Taeyeon?”

“Y-yea...”

Don’t cry...don’t cry...

“You will have to stand. Need help?”

“No...” Ok deep breath. ‘Kim’ There is a lot of Kims here. I must have a very popular last name. Oh there. I recognize the picture of my parents...they look so happy.

“Taeyeon I umm brought some flowers and asked the funeral owner for the key. If you want, you can replace those inside.”

“Ah thanks...Dr. Jung?”

“Yes?”

“Can I be alone for a moment?”

“Of course. I will be near the car ok? Just yell and I will help you back ok?”

“Ok.”

Dr. Jung is gone...kind of wish she was here for support but I don’t need her to hear me talking to dead people. I will just put these new flowers in first.

“Sorry mom and dad for being so late. Sorry I couldn’t be there for the funeral and send you away peacefully.” Humm a picture of me with who? Is that a sunflower? I wonder why a sunflower made its way in here? Wait...isn’t that girl next to me the sunflower girl in my dreams?