Eighty-Five

Trigger

 

The doctor nearly forgot what she was about to say when she got lost in Taeyeon’s eyes for a second and had the thought of looking at an angel with Taeyeon standing perfectly in front of the window to create a sun-kissed halo behind her, “I ah…you know what I wanted to say was…”

“Yes?” Taeyeon waited in anticipation because it seemed important.

“Taeyeon I-I…”

Just then a bird flew into the window causing the doctor to shriek and hold onto Taeyeon for dear life. Taeyeon quickly turned around with the other woman in her arms, “What the…”

Dr. Jung buried her face into Taeyeon’s neck, “Please don’t tell me that is what I think it was.”

Taeyeon shuffled closer to the window to see a mark left by the poor bird, “Umm I don’t think we should take this apartment.”

Slowly regaining her senses, Dr. Jung releases herself from Taeyeon, “I think I know why this place is so cheap for a penthouse.”

Taeyeon patted the doctor on the back for comfort, “Are you okay?”

“Yea…that just startled me.” The doctor slowly stepped away from Taeyeon blushing profusely once she realized how close they were.

The realtor hung up the phone and walked back in, “So is it a yes?”

Taeyeon and the doctor shook their heads, “No. We are not.”

“Oh…that is a shame. Well I do have one more property I can show you. It isn’t exactly what you are looking for but what do you say we have a peek?”

Taeyeon and the doctor looked at each other for a second telecommunicating to one another that they wouldn’t mind, “Yes.”

The place they were headed to was not in walking distance and the three ladies hailed a cab to their destination. Taeyeon relaxed in her seat taking in the city around her, nearly forgotten from her coma.

The other woman in the back seat had her attention on Taeyeon the entire cab ride. The doctor wondered if she will ever get a chance to express her feelings to Taeyeon today. It could be the universe telling her that this was a stupid idea after all. Falling in love with your patient sounded so cliché anyways.

“Driver stop here.” The realtor signaled the cab to stop and the other ladies in the car were quickly confused on their location.

“What is the distance to the hospital from here?”

“It isn’t walking distance but there is an underground station just around the corner that can get you there in less than 10 minutes.” Walking up to the neighborhood the realtor stopped, “Okay I know you said you wanted an apartment but this gem opened up on the market just today. It is a refurbished villa and the open unit is on the top floor with access to a rooftop garden.”

Taeyeon smiled happily with the thought of having a garden, “Sounds interesting.” Following along, the doctor trailed behind calculating the cost to buy a villa. Sure it was probably smarter to get a home but she never considered having a home of her own.

“Here we have two other owners on the bottom floors but installed is an elevator to your floor with key access only you have. In a sense, the garden on top is private and for your use only.” The three packed the elevator and went up to the third floor. The home was beautifully redone with a cozy living place that had a fireplace and modern kitchen appliances, “have a look around.”

Taeyeon really liked the design of the place with the dark wood floors, open space and the remodeled kitchen was a plus, “This is so stylish.”

Dr. Jung agreed, “Is this the kind of home you want?”

Taeyeon quickly went around looking at all the rooms, “I like it a lot.”

“Should we go up to the garden?” The doctor motioned to sneak up the rooftop while the realtor was preoccupied on her phone again; not that they minded.

“Yea. I really want to see it.” Taeyeon went ahead and opened the door to a luscious garden, “Wow. Whoever had this place before took great care of the plants.”

The doctor had to admit, this was a great feature, “Stunning.”

Taeyeon went up to the flower bed and took a huge whiff, “They smell so good.”

For the third time today, Dr. Jung stood there immobilized by Taeyeon’s beauty but this time she saw Taeyeon surrounded by the beautiful flowers as if she bloomed from their beauty, “Taeyeon…”

Taeyeon plucked a white rose from the stem, careful not to get pricked by its thorns, “This is so pretty. It would look great on you.” Not caring about their proximity, Taeyeon got up and carefully placed the rose on the doctor’s left ear, “even prettier when it is on you.”

Just when Taeyeon was to back away, the doctor held onto Taeyeon’s wrist, “Taeyeon…”

The smile vanished from Taeyeon’s face seeing the doctor look concerned and desperate, “are you okay? Is something wrong…”

The doctor shook her head, “Nothing is wrong…I mean everything is wonderful.”

“Then why are you looking at me like that?” Taeyeon cocked her head to the side as she rearranged her wrist to hold the doctor’s hand, “You can tell me.”

Taking a huge breath, the doctor exhaled slowly looking down at their interlocked hands, “Taeyeon…sometimes this all feels like too much.”

Taeyeon’s heart sank, “too much? Did you not want to get a house or did you not want to get a house with me?”

The doctor laughed, contrary to the situation Taeyeon thought she was facing, “The problem is not wanting you to move out…I want you to move in with me so much that…that I can’t control how I am feeling.”

Taeyeon bit her lip trying to read Dr. Jung’s face but the doctor refused to look up, “I want to move in with you too. I promise I won’t leave you. If this is the house you want, I will be with you as long as you want.”

After a long minute, the doctor raised her head up to look Taeyeon in the eyes, and finally said the words she wanted to say the whole day, “Taeyeon I think I love you.”