Ninety

Trigger

 

“Taeyeon I know this is hard…we are starting at square one with your recovery…” Dr. Jung looked at her patient apathetically, “we will get you back to where you were before starting with physical therapy again.”

Taeyeon didn’t know what to think. So many emotions were going through her head, “C-can I be alone?”

Dr. Jung was taken back. This is the opposite reaction she thought Taeyeon would have from waking up again, “Y-yea of course. Take all the time you need to umm collect your thoughts.”

Taeyeon watched as Dr. Jung left before collapsing back onto her bed in tears. She couldn’t hold it in any longer. Her happiness and love…it was all a dream?! She had everything and it was all fake, “this is bull.”

Taeyeon cried silently into her pillow until she was physically exhausted from all the emotions that coursed through her body. She was confused and hurt at the same time. She wanted to see Sooyeon but at the same time she needed this Dr. Jung to go away. This world, wasn’t hers. She had a life with Sooyeon away from this whole situation of her failing body.

A silent knock came on the door and Taeyeon quickly wiped away her tears, “I-I am not accepting visitors.”

From the other side of the door, Taeyeon could hear Dr. Kwon, “Hey…I saw Dr. Jung go by and said you were having a hard time. Can you give me a chance to cheer you up?”

Taeyeon raised her brow in curiosity, “c-come in.”

As soon as Dr. Kwon walked through the door, Taeyeon was bending over in laughter. The sly doctor came in walking like a dinosaur making strange noises.

“What is that!” Taeyeon laughed loudly at the comedic doctor.

“Got you to laugh!” Dr. Kwon laughed at herself, “goodness…I haven’t done that since high school. Consider yourself lucky to see my grade A comedy act.”

Taeyeon was now wiping away her tears from laughing too hard, “so you were always like this. Why did you go into physical therapy when you would have made a great pediatrician?”

Dr. Kwon pulled up a chair, “I bet you didn’t know I almost went to the Olympics for swimming. In high school I was winning everything related to swimming and was recruited to the Junior Olympics. Swimming was my life and then I had a career ending injury. I was devastated. I spent a lot of time in physical therapy hoping to get back out there in the water, but even though I could finally swim again, I wasn’t nearly as fast. You know I went to a psychiatrist to basically figure out what to do with my life. The thing is, what I wanted in life was no longer an option so I went with the one thing that had given me hope. I became a physical therapist to give other athletes at least some hope of getting back out there and doing things they love. I am also here to give you some hope that you can go back to living a normal life again. If only I can do that, does my lost dream seem insignificant.”

Taeyeon didn’t know what to say. She could still see the pain in Dr. Kwon’s eyes of something she can never get back again, but here she was wallowing in self-pity about nothing. Sure she lost a year, a year she thought she had with Sooyeon, but it wasn’t like she lost the woman. Dr. Jung was still here. Feeling her body, Taeyeon knew she was still alive, and she had overcome her walking disability once before. She still has everything.

Dr. Kwon stood up and patted Taeyeon on the shoulder, “when you are ready, just tell the nurses. I will be waiting for you to get you walking again.”

Taeyeon looked Dr. Kwon in the eyes, “I am ready.”