Forty-Six

Trigger

 

Dr. Jung was doing her rounds as she passed a familiar room. Stopping, Dr. Jung peeked inside but was disappointed to see another occupant, “I wonder if Taeyeon is doing alright?” Sighing, Dr. Jung walked away but she wasn’t looking when she turned and bumped into a girl, “Oh sorry.”

“Hello.” The cheerful girl grinned.

Dr. Jung focused in on who was the person she was thinking of, “W-what are you doing here? It is only Thursday.”

Taeyeon shook her head and chuckled, “I may only see you once a week, but I still have therapy with Dr. Kwon twice a week.”

“Why didn’t you plan to have one of those days the same day we have sessions? Isn’t it hard to come down here 3 days a week?”

Taeyeon shook her head, “I want to come down. Home is boring and the hospital has you.”

Dr. Jung’s face flushed a bright red, “O-oh well umm you should go see Dr. Kwon since you are here.”

Dr. Jung was about to walk away but Taeyeon blocked her advance, “Did you have lunch yet?”

“Don’t you have an appointment?”

“I finished. Lunch?”

Biting her bottom lip, Dr. Jung contemplated if she should lie and say she didn’t have lunch but already did, “I ah…”

Seeing the way Dr. Jung was thinking so hard about having lunch with her, Taeyeon looked down dejected, “I should have called first…I know you are busy with patients.”

With the sad little puppy in front of her, Dr. Jung chose to lie, “I didn’t have lunch and a few of my patients can wait a bit.”

Taeyeon looked up at the woman with her eyes twinkling, “Really?!”

Chuckling, Dr. Jung started walking ahead of her trailing puppy, “Yes. Come on. The cafeteria is open 24 hours.”

Following Dr. Jung, Taeyeon took the time to observe the doctor. Although the white coat covered most of her clothing, Dr. Jung was always wearing something very stylish. I wonder if there is a day she doesn’t look so beautiful.

“You have never been down here right?”

“No…food always came up to my room.”

“It is the same food, but a few more options. Is there anything you really want to eat?”

“Umm bibimbap.”

Dr. Jung smiled at such a simple request, “I think they have it in that line over there.”

Taeyeon watched Dr. Jung point to a line, “Can you show me?”

Of course Dr. Jung had a very needy patient, “Alright. It isn’t that hard though. You just say which toppings you want and they will mix it all in for you.”

 

Eventually the pair got their food and found a table to eat at.

“Is a salad going to be enough? You are a very busy doctor and need strength to get through the day.”

Dr. Jung smiled at her patient’s concern, “Yea it is fine. Eat up.”

“Thank you for the meal.”

“I wonder if you came to just use my money.”

“No no not at all.”

“So why did you really come here?”

“Right to the point,” Taeyeon sighed, “I thought you might be happy with just my company for a while.”

Of course I love seeing you. “I am happy to see you getting around without my help now.”

Maybe she doesn’t want to see me…what was I really hoping for?

“Taeyeon is something wrong?”

Now or never. “What do you really know about me?”

“W-what do you mean?”

“Your sister must have talked about me to you. How could you not know I existed till now?”

“My sister was always the happy-go-lucky type so at first, I thought when she was just her usual happy self. Then there was a day on the phone she started talking about someone she met but your name never came up…nor did she ever say that you were a woman. I found out more about you when I went to America to clear out my sister’s apartment. Then I met Tiffany maybe a year ago as I went through my sister’s old phone. I also saw that…” I shouldn’t tell her the rest.

“Saw what?”

Dr. Jung reached into her pocket and took out an aged phone, “Taeyeon there are things on this phone that might hurt you. I considered about giving this to you for a long time but with you losing your memory, I thought you should get your memories back first. You also didn’t know who most of these people are…well even my sister you didn’t know her so I didn’t think it was right to give this to you.”

Taeyeon reached across to take the phone and stared at it. She recognized the phone very well. In fact, she was the one who convinced her girlfriend, at the time, to get a new one because flip-phones were out of date. This must be the phone she had right after that incident, “Can I still go through it?”

“I don’t think it will do you much good. If anything, it will confuse you more.”

I do remember. “Can I try?”

Dr. Jung looked at the old phone carefully before reaching to take the phone from Taeyeon's fingers, “As your doctor, I advise you not to until you remember Tiffany. She will be at our session tomorrow.”

There goes my appetite once again.

“I have to go Taeyeon. You should finish your meal. I will see you soon.”

Taeyeon watched the doctor leave the table and wondered if she could lose her memory one last time because from what she remembers now, she wants to forget.