Forty-Five

Trigger

 

Taeyeon slowly shifted around her bed as the sunlight hit her eyes. It was strange not hearing the beeping of machines and bustle of people outside her door so she opened her eyes to see that she wasn't in the hospital anymore. Rolling onto her back, Taeyeon looked up at the ceiling, "why does it feel strange to be in my old home?" Seeing the morning light was already leaking through her window, Taeyeon decided to roll out of bed.

Slipping into her Spongebob slippers, Taeyeon scratched her bedhead and went to the kitchen for breakfast...no it is too late for that. It was already lunch. As she approached the fridge, there was a yellow sticky note, "Taeyeon, I had to leave for work so I didn't wake you. My number is 418-309-1989 if you need me before our appointment Friday. Take care. ~ Dr. Jung."

For the tenth time this morning, Taeyeon sighed hating herself for not waking up in time to see Dr. Jung leave. She missed her golden opportunity to see Dr. Jung today already. Stupid Taeyeon.

Knowing the fridge wasn't stocked, Taeyeon had no choice but to have the leftover noodles from last night for her meal. Having the hospital room service on speed dial for the past months was now something Taeyeon missed dearly.

Taking a blanket, Taeyeon cuddled up on the couch with her cold noodles and ate. She knew the TV must not have cable and she surly didn't have a computer in this house to watch anything. Nothing but silence in the house that once had so much life years ago. Taeyeon didn't want to stay there. Finding an empty apartment would be better. Going back to the days where she lived in America and had just enough to buy food and sleep on her floor would be better than a place filled with too many happy memories.

With her noodles finished, Taeyeon went to the bathroom to shower and freshen up. The shampoo was surprisingly did not dry out over time, but it smelled just like her mother. Grocery shopping has become very high on her list of things to do today.

Going around her childhood bedroom, Taeyeon was very thankful that her growth stopped around the 8th grade because all her clothes fit her perfectly. With herself clothed, Taeyeon went to her parent's room for money. Her father always left cash in the door next to his bed for emergencies and she would say that a house without food would be an emergency, and that she didn't know if any of her bank cards were still working for not being active.

 

Taeyeon was amazed at the growth of the city since she was in a coma. Was it possible for so many more people and business to fit in such a place? Watching people as they entered the bus, Taeyeon wondered if she truly fit in with them. Living in America for several years and leaving her consciousness for another 3 made Taeyeon feel like she was a foreigner. This new 21st century culture going on in her home country was all different. She wanted to go back to the safety of Dr. Jung and the white walls of the hospital where no one judged her actions and where her white walls never changed.

Maybe that is why she found herself in front of a hospital once again.

Getting off the bus, Taeyeon went into the hospital lobby and up to the reception desk, “Hello miss do you need anything?”

Taeyeon looked around, “Umm I was wondering if room 1024 had a Ms. Jung?”

The receptionist typed in her computer, “Ah yes she is still there. Are you here for a visit?”

“Ah yes.”

“Ok just sign here and this is your visitor pass.”

“Thank you.”

Taeyeon looked down on her shirt to clip on the pass as she headed into the hospital. She remembered being here last time, but that time she didn’t know why she was there. Now that she remembered, Taeyeon knew she needed to be there.

1024.

Taeyeon looked up at the numbers for a few seconds before pushing the door open. It was like time stood still. The walls were still white. The sheets haven’t shifted on her frail body. She was still helpless hooked up to all the machines and there was nothing she could do to help her get better.

With heavy steps, Taeyeon walked into the room and shut the door.

Now that she was alone with the unconscious woman, Taeyeon felt the oxygen leave the room and her chest tighten. Taeyeon wondered if it would be ok to touch her again but her hands remained at her side, “Hey...umm what do I say?” Taeyeon shifted in her spot before shuffling a bit closer to the bed, “I-Is it lonely here alone every day? I am sorry...so sorry that I couldn’t be here for a while. I was ah sleeping like you. I didn’t know I would wake up without you by myside.”

Sighing, Taeyeon reached over to get a chair and sat down, “I actually came here to tell you something.” Taeyeon continued, “I saw her again...I promised myself to never let her into my life ever again since that night.”

“Taeyeon...Taeyeon wake up.”

Taeyeon opened her eyes to see her girlfriend’s best friend hovering over her, “W-what are you doing?”

The other woman laughed, “TaeTae just relax.” Tiffany leaned down and kissed Taeyeon who was still under the influence of alcohol. Although the kiss was short and her heart started beating faster, Taeyeon regained enough strength to push the younger woman off her.

“What are you doing!”

Tiffany rolled her eyes, “I know you like me.”

Taeyeon shook her head at the bad memory. Maybe the fact that Tiffany took advantage of her and she let herself cheat on her then girlfriend--now her fiancé that is in a coma--Taeyeon lost her memory in the first place. She wanted to forget.  Taeyeon didn’t want to be reminded of the guilt anymore because that was the reason she proposed to the woman in the first place.

Having the courage to reach up to the bed, Taeyeon softly brushed the girl’s hair, “How could your sister ask me to kill you twice?”