PAIN.

SHE DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Giving and doing everything for the people you love are really the most wonderful things of all. You will not even think twice most especially, when you know that you’re going to save a life.

Yesterday, I secretly took the donor test for Billie’s bone marrow transplant. I did it secretly because everybody is against it. According to them, I will just put my life in danger, but I just can’t sit and watch her family and some of our friends do the test when I’m also capable of doing it. Not only that, I’m her husband and if there’s a person who needs to sacrifice for her, it’s me.

“What? Wait” Mummy looked totally lost upon hearing what the doctor said.

She looked at me “You took the test?” she asked.

I gave out a sigh then nod “I did” I answered.

Both our families were speechless. None of them are expecting this to happen. To be honest, I’m on the same boat as them coz when I took the test, the possibility that I’ll match my wife’s marrow is so out of my mind.

“Jiyong” Dad called then sighed “We already told you not to take the test….why did you push through with it?” he asked.

I smirked then looked at each one of them “How can I not push it? My wife’s life is on the line here….I know that there are a lot of you who are willing to be donors….but….I just can’t let you guys experience the pain when I’m the one who is supposed to be sacrificing for her” I defended myself.

Billie jerked up then looked at me intently. Up until now she still can’t grasp whatever is happening for she doesn’t even know that she’s in bad need of a transplant. Well, we haven’t told her about her condition yet for she’s too overwhelmed with her family’s reconciliation last night. Of course, we don’t want to spoil her mood.

“Jiyong…you’re nuts…you’re sick in the head!” she exclaimed, shocking everybody in the room.

“Kenken” I called but she signaled me to stop talking.

I can clearly see in her eyes that she’s not good with this, but she can’t stop me from being her donor. I’ll push this till the end for this will save her life.

“Look…I know that you’re doing this to save me….but Jiyong…there’s no need for you to risk your life…and that goes with each one of you as well” she looked at her family and mine “OK….I’m already there…you guys are doing this because there’s not much people who we can count to be donors...but….think about yourselves first…I don’t know much about this donation thing…but I know so well and I’m so sure that it will affect your health” she said with tears rolling down her cheeks.

Mummy shook her head “Bill…don’t think about us….we are in good shape….and I guess you’ve already forgotten….we are a family….how can we not do this for you? We can’t just wait for people to match you for it’ll take us a long time before we find one and we don’t have much time to wait…we have to do something and we are willing to do everything just to get you out of that illness”

Everybody gave her a nod and she cried a river after that. Billie is hesitant of our help and it’s so typical of her because she’s the kind of person who doesn’t want to burden people with her own problems. She’d rather suffer and solve them alone than drag people to hell with her.

After a long talk with Doctor Bertram, our family and friends decided to leave the two of us first for us to be able to talk privately.  I don’t know what will happen to us after this, but what I’m sure of is that I’ll be having a hard time convincing her.

Minutes passed by and none of us are talking yet. I’m just staring at her while she’s zoning out. Seeing her frail and totally ed up frame is just a painful sight. Two days ago, she’s looking fine and is even moving normally already and now, I’m seeing a really sick person in her. I’m telling you, if we’re not going to rush the transplant, there’s a huge possibility that she’ll be taken away from us sooner than we think.

“Kenken” I called. My mind is still blank. I just felt the need to talk first coz if we’re just going to stare at each other, nothing will be decided on.

“Why? Why do you have to go to this extent?” she asked then looked straight into my eyes.

I took a deep breathe then went to her “I told you….I’ll do everything” I answered “I’m your husband…. …this is part of my vow....I’m with you through sickness and in health” I reached for her hand then kissed it “There’s nothing that I will not do…I’m telling you Kenken….I’m ready  to risk my life just for you to be cured….yes…I was a bit shaken when the doctor told me that I’m a perfect donor….simply because I know that my health will definitely be at stake here…but after thinking deep about it….I came to this realization that there’s nothing to be afraid about….why? Because you are here to support me….we’ll do this together....I’m ready to deal with the effects of this donation coz I know that at the end of it all…you’ll be healed from your sickness and we’ll be together already without the fear that one day…you will not wake up anymore” I told her.

I don’t know why, but I’m so emotional while saying this. I guess I’m just so desperate for her to be cured or I’m just frustrated because she doesn’t want me to be her donor.

“I completely understand you…but…” she faced me fully then cupped my face with both hands “Jiyong....I’m afraid….what if something bad happens to you? I don’t want to be healed when you’re dealing with pain and illness just because of me…think about it…please” she begged.

This is really getting the best of my sanity. I swear. I don’t know how to change her mind anymore. I’ve explained and have said all the things that is needed convince her but it’s useless. She’s still against me being her donor.

I stared at her for a while with tears pooling in my eyes “Fine…if you don’t want me to be your donor…I’m not going to push it anymore…after all…you’re right….donating is really dangerous and it’s better for us to just wait than risk my life”

After this, Billie’s face already lit up. I can see that a heavy weight has been lifted from her shoulders already.

If you think that I’m giving up this fast, you’re wrong. I told her that I will not push through with being her donor anymore just for her to stop worrying about me. I know that once she learns about me still continuing with this, she will go ballistic, but I have to do what I’ve got to do and that is to give a part of me to my wife for I’m the only one who can save her now.

“Are you sure of this Jiyong?” Dad asked while we’re walking to the doctor’s office.

Dad and I are going to talk with Doctor Bertram about the transplant procedure. I must admit, I’m pretty scared but as I’ve said, I will not give this up.

“Donating your bone marrow is really risky….well…it goes with all kinds of donations….but…this one is really a sensitive procedure…we have two types of transplants…first is where blood is

Please log in to read the full chapter