The 26

My Best Friend's Boyfriend is a Werewolf
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

KAI POV

Forget about movie stars, forget about music icons.. why? Because this bunch can do it all and they’re not even in the entertainment industry. Meet the 26. 26 gifted young people that are now taking the world by storm. They are now the new darlings of media with their unique and innovative approach to teaching. Yes guys these beautiful people teach.. among many things. They are formed and are under the management of one of the world’s leading research and Business Company only called as the Institute. What fascinated the world is that they are all scientist or specialist in certain fields and they do lectures around the world. So what did this group of gifted people do that even teenagers are now looking up to them? It’s the way they lecture.. It’s like you’re in a concert not in a lecture. Although heavily criticized by their unorthodox way it can’t be denied that they are doing good. wherever they go, whenever they visit a school the grades of the students immediately boost up….. all of the 26 had done lectures in various places and the last place they are going to is Asia.. and I heard the most gifted are going here.. the 26 is divided in smaller groups based in different continent but we heard that Asia is going to get the Core.. the most gifted of all the 26. ..

I watched transfixed as a reporter talked about the newest sensation in the world. I waited expectantly as the screen flashed faces of the 26.

“Kai wipe your drool.” Lay said besides me with a laugh. “Aiden hyung looks dashing.”

“He looks like he gained weight.” Minny said as she tugged me away from the screen. “Come on Jong In you have the program memorized.

“But wait! I want to see-” I was by Minny clamping her hand on my mouth and eyes.

“Yah! Minny I can’t see!” I complained as I let her pull me away. She lets me go after we had walked a few meters away from the giant screen. “Can’t you let me watch in peace woman?! Seriously! How does Luhan endure it?”

“Sometimes the old timid comes back but that’s a rarity.” Luhan answered grinning as Minny laughed and intertwines her hand with his. “Sometimes I think they exchanged bodies.” Luhan adds and motions his head towards the screen which we had left.

“Ugg Oppa. That would be very very weird.” Minny said with a roll of her eyes. “But when you think of it only the letter F is left in the core. Her hologram should be released-”

Minny’s voice was lost as screams echoed in Gangnam. Lay, Luhan and I quickly gathered around Minny placing her in the middle away from harm. Luhan was tense as we look for what caused the screams.

“It’s the 26 logo!!” One scream said and we looked at each other and then everyone took out their phones.

“Do you guys see it?” DO asked as we started to walk towards the source of the screams. A large clump of people were gathering and by the looks of it was only getting larger. “I see you Kai. See you in a bit.”

The others hand finished calling each other and we waited for them near the hologram which showed the 26 logo. I looked down at the source of the logo which was guarded by four men in black suits. I felt swell of pride as I look at the sleek sliver box on the ground. She made that.

“Hey guys.” Chanyeol said and I look away from the box to see that we were complete. “Is that her hologram?”

“Must be. She’s the last one.” Kris answered and a smile was on his face as he glanced at the logo.

“Who knew she would be a famous superstar?!” Baekhyun said as he stood on tip toe. “A famous scientist yes but a superstar. Heck no.”

“Blame Kai.” Sehun said poking me. “If you didn’t challenge her she would have gone back by now and we could have ordinary lives.”

“When were our lives ordinary Sehunnie?” Xiumin asked.

“Before us.” Luhan answered with a small smile.

“Don’t go mushy Oppa.” Minny said and tug him to the hologram. “Look it’s changing.”

The logo was indeed flickering. The solid, no nonsense logo of the 26 slowly faded and morphed into a picture of the galaxy. It was amazing how much depth the hologram can cast since it was a bright day. Then the galaxy zoomed at a beautiful crescent moon and I felt my heart lurch. If this was her hologram the galaxy and the moon were obvious choices. Now if only a wolf will appear.

A haunting howl echoed and a wolf appeared coming closer and closer but gradually changed into dust that swirled around to reveal a figure.

My heart stopped and resumed in a very fast pace as the hologram zoomed into the figure and a pair of beautiful blue eyes appeared.

“Oh my god. I have forgotten how vivid they are.” Suho murmured. I wanted to answer back but my mouth had gone dry.

Light gradually spread into the hologram and her face came into view then her whole body.

It was then I noticed the cheer sand yells. They were all ogling at her. They were staring at her. I wanted nothing more than to grab the hologram and hide it.

She’s mine.

“Hello..” Her voice thick with that darn accent sounded in the place. “My name is Florence Khan. I’m part of the 26 and I would like to invite you to our lecture.”

A smile grazes her face and I felt my heart beat even faster.

“Come with us as we show you what our world is about. Let us show you that learning can’t be that boring.. Are you ready?”

Darn it. I hate you. How can you use that voice in public.

I sigh in frustration as the hologram Flo smiled and beckoned me to come closer.

“Come closer.. And you will discover a world of wonder. Look beyond and you will see that there much yet to understand. We’ll be waiting.”

The hologram smiled once more and I was about to lose my mind. Then it disappeared into a mist.

“Remind again that we know that girl.” Tao said as we continued to stare at the spot where the hologram was before.

“We know that girl.” DO answered shaking his head.

“I wonder how many takes she had to do to do that.” Chen asked. “You know how awkward she is in front of the camera.”

“Not unless she is in costume.. And she did mention she considers her F persona a costume.” I answered running a hand through my hair.

“Don’t forget her acting skills.” Kris said with an amused grin.

“Well whatever.. You guys do know what that means right?” Minny said with a big smile. “ My Flo is coming home.”

I snorted at the endearment the two of them use for each other earning a smack from Minny.

“Well she is bound to go home with her brother getting married and all.” Kris said. “Who knew Ren hyung will settle down? Hah!”

“No more parties for us.” Luhan said slinging an arm on Minny as she rolls her eyes again.

“Good thing since you guys party way hard. Good thing My Flo has a binding contract if not she would have gone home to kick those girls clinging to Kai.” Minny said as we started to navigate our way back to the apartment.

“I should party harder.” I said grinning as Minny smacked me again.

“You are so dead once she gets home.” Sehun said grinning.

“Do any of you know when they’re coming here? I want to prepare that poster Flo said we’re not allowed to use.” Baekhyun said grinning wickedly.

“We will be dead if we go through with that.” DO said with a roll of his eyes.

“Come on what is the use of having a superstar best friend if we can’t tease the heck out of her?” Baekhyun answered grinning.

“We will die.” DO answered in a grave tone but I saw the glimmer of mischief in his eyes as Baekhyun and Chanyeol continued planning what we will do once 26 hits the airport. The superstar scientist will have a fit.

We arrived back at the apartment a few minutes later. We were now in last year in college and glad to say some things never change. We are now staying in the same apartment. You might think that after all this time we had grown tired of each other’s company but nope, the 12 of us were still together. Minny was staying in an apartment with Jess a few blocks from here but she spends most of her time here since Hanbin is like a permanent resident in their apartment. It was like high school but in a different place.

Minny wrinkles her nose as Luhan opens the door for her.

“I can see that Umin Oppa and Kyungsoo’s clean freak mode can’t fight the slob in the rest of you guys. Eww. Do you guys know what a broom is?” Minny asked frowning.

“It’s used for quidditch!” Chen answered laughing.

“You guys are hopeless. Flo gives you a million dollar apartment and you just trash it.” Minny answered picking up something from the floor and the disgust doubled on her face as the underwear dangled from her fingertips. “Should I even ask who this belongs too?”

“You shouldn’t bash my taste miss stylist.” Baekhyun said taking the bra and flinging it towards Sehun who was red faced. “Sehunnie baby boo your fling left this.”

“Yah!” Sehun said going redder.

“Our maknae is fast becoming a serial dater.. Tsk tsk. I wonder how Flo will react to her baby becoming that.” I teased ruffling Sehun’s hair.

“You guys are ridiculous.” Sehun huffed as he threw the underwear at a nearby trash bin.

“Sorry Jagiya. The cleaning crew is coming this afternoon so this will be spotless later.” Luhan said in a soothing tone as Minny bristled at our mess.

“I wish I had an apartment.” Minny sighed.

“Minny why don’t you just move in with us?” Kris asked grinning.

“I have no plans on becoming your maid.” Minny answered with a roll of her eyes. She pushes off a pile of clothes from a chair and sits down. “You boys clean up now!”

Minny only uses that tone on us when she’s a bit pissed off so we did as she asked. A few minutes later the living room floor can be seen and the sofa can actually be used for its purpose and not as a dumping ground for clothes.

“You’re so bossy! Are you drunk?” Tao asked as Minny threw a Gucci bag at him.

“No but I will dunk you if you don’t get these designer bags back to your room!” Minny answered throwing another- I don’t know what brand name it is- bag at Tao who caught it and ran to his room.

A few minutes later of Minny ordering us around the apartment was now more organized. The only thing left was the kitchen which we left for the cleaning crew. Nobody wanted to touch it even with Minny’s threats.

“You’re so mean Minny.” Tao whined as he plopped down on the couch.

“Will you still call me mean if I said I ordered food?” Minny asked with a pout.

“Shabu Shabu?” Tao asked with glimmering eyes.

“All your favourites.” Minny said smiling as she patted Tao’s head gently.

“Yey! You’re not mean!” Tao said in a sing song voice.

“Oh how easily Tao’s loyalty is brought.” Kris mused.

I laughed and shook my head as we all sat down to wait for the food. I felt my phone vibrate and it was a message from my girlfriend.

Hey..:) I heard that my hologram was shown in Gangnam today?

Yup. I hate you by the way.

Aww what did I do??

I distinctly remember asking you not to use your accent in public.

Ahhhh. Well that was what the production team wanted.. They said Aiden and I had the accents that can melt hearts.

HMPFT

Is my yeobo mad? I’ll give you a kiss to make up for it.

I nearly lost my cool in public but anyway the hologram was fantastic.

Did you see the reference to you guys?

The galaxy? The Moon or the wolf?

Hahaha. Glad you saw it. I hope I did not look ridiculous.

You never looked ridiculous.

Biased.

Only for you.

Ayyeee. I miss you Oppa!

When are you arriving here?

Actually I’m already here.

“What?!” I exclaimed loudly making everyone look at me with brows raised.

“Turn on the television.” I said.

Xiumin was the nearest so he switched it on and a news flash was just airing. It showed a mass of people at the airport.

THE CORE OF THE 26 ARRIVES IN KOREA.

“OH MY FREAKING GOD!! HOW DARE SHE!” Minny screeched jumping up.

We watched as 6 people were escorted to two awaiting cars and were whisked off to I do not know where. Minny whirled at me.

“Call her. Now.” She ordered.

I did was she asked and frowned when a dial tone answered me.

“I can’t call her.. But I’ll text her..” I answered.

“Arrgh! How dare she goes home without informing us!” Minny whined.

“I gather that was a surprise.” Lay said.

My phone vibrated again.

Is Minny freaking out right now? :)

How did you know? Please don’t tell me there are hidden cameras in the apartment.

Only in your room.:)

Yah! Florence Khan!

Kidding. No. Just a guess since I saw news vans at the airport. Our surprise arrival must be on the news now.

It surely is.

Well surprise! Tell Minny I love her. Haha.

How about me?

I love you Kim Jong In.. ^^

Where are you? Can we come to you?

Umm.. Sorry Kai. But we arrived earlier than scheduled because someone needs our services. We’re somewhere in Korea. I can’t disclose the place but don’t worry. You’ll see me soon enough love.

When?

Just soon love. I’m nearly home. Just wait.

I have been waiting for 3 years, 5 months and 6 days.

Wow. You actually kept track.

You didn’t?

You forgot 6 hours, 35 minutes and 40 seconds..:) I miss you Oppa. See you soon!

How soon?

Soon. I need to go. Tell the others I love them but of course I love you more. <3

I can’t wait. Love you too Flo.

<3

+++

A week has passed and the entire world is in chaos as the core had suddenly gone under radar. That only happens when they had to do some delicate matters.. Apart from being superstars they also helped countries that need their expertise.

“Do you think this is their showcase?” Lay asked me as we walked towards the Grand Auditorium of the university since all students who did not have classes were required to go there to attend an assembly for reasons unknown.

“Dunno.” I answered rubbing my eyes. I was still sleepy since girlfriend dearest had called me early in the morning asking for panda chocolates. I humoured her saying I’ll meet her today and bring her a basket of it. I had a box in my back just in case she springs another surprise and appears in front of me.

“Hey guys! Over here!” Chanyeol called out waving.

We walked towards them. We had agreed to attend the assembly together since we all did not have classes. The only ones missing were Minny and Tao.

Tao was now weaving his way towards us.

“Where’s your girlfriend?” Xiumin asked Luhan.

Luhan craned his neck and pointed.

“There.” He said and we looked at the direction he was pointing at.

Minny was striding towards us in a confident walk. Boys were looking at her admiringly but she didn’t even glance at them. Her eyes were only on Luhan.

“Oppa!” She said childishly, hugging him and kissing his cheek.

“Hey.” Luhan said grinning wounding his arms around her.

“You look nice today Min.” Suho said.

“Thanks! Eomma Fleur sent these. Just got them yesterday.” Minny said twirling around as Luhan looked at her with a soft smile. “Flo’s trying to buy me off again since she did not tell me that they would be arriving.”

“We all did not know so how come you just received a gift? Aren’t we her best friends too?” Chanyeol demanded.

“Cause she loves me best.” Minny answered grinning as she hugged Chanyeol. “I think you guys have a gift too.. Just wait. Anyway there’s a rumour going around that today is the Core’s Showcase. What do you guys think?”

“Well it might be true..” Sehun said as he gestured at the trunks of the news outlets that were parked outside the Grand Auditorium.

“But if this is the Core showcase why here? Why not the biggest stadium?” Chen asked.

“Because they’re lecturers not entertainers.” Kris answered. “And Flo knows we’re here and have no classes.”

“She knows our schedule?” Xiumin asked a bit surprised.

“Umin she has one of the most powerful computers and a massive data bank at her disposal. Of course she knows.” Kris answered with a roll of his eyes. “Or her boyfriend told her.”

“Hey she asked and I saw nothing wrong with giving it!” I said defensively as Kris leered at me.

“I’m going to see My Flo!! Yey!!”Minny said clapping her hands.

“My Flo? Psft you wish.” A voice said and we all look back to see three girls glaring at Minny. I saw Luhan tense up. “Min-shu you’re such a social climber when everyone knows you just fabricated all those photos. Fake.”

“Yah! That’s rude!” Tao said.

“Tao calm down. Let them be. I have gone past the stage of proving to people that Flo is our best friend.” Minny said placing a restraining arm on both Tao and Luhan.

“Haha. Well in case you didn’t know they the Core will be having a party this week and my dad got invited. I’m going with him and I’m going to make Florence Khan my best friend.” The Girl in the middle said with a flip of her blonde hair.

“Good luck with that Haejoon.” Minny said with a smile. She then flipped her hair and turned her back at the girls. I smiled, Flo will be a proud mother hen with how confident Minny is now. “Let’s go guys. Before the good seats are taken.”

“You guys are fakes!! You’re gang can’t be friends with the 26. They’re stars and you’re nothing!” The girl shouted as we left making everyone stare at us.

We were still known as a group of trouble makers in the university and also a bunch of other names since we all claim that we know the Florence Khan. I have been called a few names that made Flo mad when Suho slipped and told her. She would have thrown a fit if she knew what they were calling Minny. We all know how she reacts when people started calling Minny bad names..

“She will die when Flo hears her calling you that.” Tao said to Minny who shrug.

“Don’t bother. I get the ultimate pay back once Flo comes back and I get to make her my model for our final project.” Minny answered grinning.

“She agreed already?” I asked as we entered the auditorium and managed to snag seats that allowed us to sit together. 6 sat in the front while 7 at the back.

“When did she ever say no to me Kai?” Minny asked with another toothy grin.

“True.” I said nodding.

We settled down in our seats and I got comfortable planning on sleeping throughout the whole program. A few minutes later the program started. The university president went to the podium and started to talk about something. I tuned him out.. I was sleepy. I was about to fall asleep when the noise suddenly got louder.

“What’s happening?” I asked Kris beside me.

“I think those two people who walked on stage are celebrity host.” Kris said.

I straighten up and saw that it was indeed celebrity host.. No wonder everyone was in uproar.

“Why are celebrity host here?” I asked.

“Maybe Minny is right.” Kris answered and flashed me a teasing smile. His hair now back to its blonde color glistening in the dim lights of the auditorium.

I roll my eyes at him, over the course of 3 years all of us had grown close with each other and I have to say Kris really reminded me of her. No wonder people say they look good with each other because they are like carbon copies of each other. In those 3 years my jealousy of him and her had all but disappeared. I know my place in her heart and I can now stay firm on the position.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter