The Prelude to Chaos

My Best Friend's Boyfriend is a Werewolf
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kris POV

In the end they all realize that what I was saying is the most logical thing to do. They, the adults, began planning and talking again, they were talking in english. I catch parts and bits of the plan, something about a grand expose or something. I honestly don’t care about the details as long as we get Flo in the end.

“I wish we can find another way to catch the President’s attention and make him show us the experiment level.” Ren said

“Maybe. Maybe we don’t need to make him see their powers, maybe our presence is enough to make him puff out his chest and boast. Oh hey look I finally got the girl you were hiding from me.” Aiden said.

“Do we really need to see the experiment level?” Julie asked, her face betraying the fear that was absent in her voice.

“Yes. We need to see if there is a way out.” Ren answered. “If we only had Mike with us.”

“I can give him a call.” Julie said.

“No. I’m still mad at him.” Ren answered. “Maybe we can call Claire and ask her to look up the old blueprints. Flo once mentioned that she saw them.”

“I still think we need Mike.  We need his hacker skills.” Julie answered.

“Plan B.” Ren answered.

“Fine.” Julie conceded. “Another thing. You guys do realize Flo will be.. a zombie when we do find her.”

“Damn. Catatonia state. I forgot that.” Ren answered.

“We can’t drag her around. That would be too obvious.” Julie said. “If only we have something that can wake her up… like that one time at your school Uncle.”

“ We have it.. him right here.” Aiden said putting a hand on Kai’s shoulder.

“Me?” Kai squeaked out bewildered.

“Aiden.. not now.” Ren answered frowning.

“No Ren Khan. You need to accept that somehow Jong-In’s voice manages to reach the defensive barriers that Flo has in her brain. You need to accept that your sister can find – has found someone who has the much power over her walls.  You need to accept and live with the fact that Kai is special to Flo.” Aiden said seriously. “Ren please stop being stubborn. We need Kai with us.”

“Fine!” Ren answered irritated.

“What about the other kids?” Julie asked.

“We need to keep them safe J.” Aiden answered putting a comforting arm on Tao’s shoulder.

“Uncle, can you send them back to Jeju. The safe house is there.” Ren answered.

“I was there just today Ren. The house was ransacked.” Julie answered.

“What the F***.” Ren said sitting down heavily on the couch. “It seems the odds are not in our favor.”

“We need to find somewhere safe for them. I fear that once we get Flo one of the President’s men will just grab one of them and Flo will just surrender herself. We will be back to square one.” Aiden answered.

“We can take them with us.” Julie said with doubt in her voice.

“Very funny Julie.” Ren answered rolling his eyes.

“No wait that is brilliant J.” Aiden said. “Ren look at it. The last place they would look for will be London. They won’t think that we’ll bring them along. It’s too much of a hassle.”

“Excatly!” Ren answered. “Too much hassle. Plane tickets, passports, visa’s.”

“I’ll take care of that.” The principal said quietly. “Time to call up favors then and you can use my Plane.”

“You have a plane Principal?!” Baekhyun blurted out. He covered his mouth embarrassed.

“Yes I have Mr. Byun. I’m not just a School principal.” The Principal answered smiling fondly at Baekhyun. “But you kids are still under my care so I will use all my power to keep you safe.”

“Who are you people.” Chanyeol mused.

“Too much secrets. I feel like we’re in a drama.”  Chen mused.

“Cut!” Minny said in a vain attempted to lighten the mood.

Luhan chuckled and kissed her temple. Well at least she had stopped crying, another expression had taken over. Determination.  Flo had certainly rubbed that on her.

“Ren they’ll be safest at the Manor. Your parents had that house wired like the Institute, no one can get them so easily there.” Aiden said.

“You’re right.” Ren replied.

“Any other bumps Ren?” Julie asked.

“Our parents..” Suho said.

“I’ll send out a letter requesting you to come with some selected officials to a competition overseas.” Principal said. “My secretary can make the letter now.”

“Can’t we go home and at least say a proper goodbye?” Xiumin asked.

Suddenly the phone began ringing.  DO went off to answer it and came back wearing a confused expression, phone clutched in hand.

“Someone named Mike is looking for you Hyung.” DO said handing the phone to Ren.

“He has the nerve to call.” Aiden spat out. “Put him on loudspeaker.”

“Hey Ren. I heard about Flo.” A deep voice said in english from the phone. It sounded guilty and sad at the same time.

“Yes. I wonder how he found us.” Ren answered.

“You think it was me right?” The voice named Mike said.

“Frankly yes.”  Ren said. The anger in his voice obvious.               

“Yes you’re right. Although it may sound like an excuse but they had Clara Ren. I’m sorry.”  Mike said. Ren looked up at Aiden with an expression of disgust.

“Why are you calling now?” Ren said.

“I want to tell you I’m sorry. I will do anything I can to help you if you need me.”  Mike answered.

“Won’t they take Clara again?” Ren asked.

“No. I have her with me. She’s safe. You know she’s the only bargain chip the President has against me. He doesn’t have anything to hit me with anymore. If you have a plan to get Florence back I’ll help with the computers.” Mike said.

“Ren we need him. He can hack the Institutes software. It’ll be more easier.” Julie said.

“That sounded like Julie.” Mike said. “Is she there?”

“Hey M. I’m here and so is A.” Julie said.

“I wish I had heard your voice in more pleasing circumstances J. Hey A.Hey ” Mike said and then a loud beeping sound came from his side. “That’s an alarm from our bug at the institute.”

“Everything okay M?” Ren asked.

“Yes. I just got something from the Institute’s computer. We’re still attached to it. It seemed someone’s looking for someone.. a whole lot of someone’s… They’re running face matching with world wide data.” Mike said and I can hear typing sounds. “Do you guys, in thinking this is coincidental, know someone with the name of Soong Min-shu? They’re looking for all her personal information and they found it. Next is someone named Kim Jong-in. Oh Sehun. Park Chanyeol. Do Kyung Soo…..”

The voice name Mike listed all of the names of my friends except for me and Luhan. With every name he said the higher the tension in the room went.

“Is it coincidental that they are all Koreans too.” Mike adds. “It must be the president looking for them since  he was using his code hence he has almost unlimited access to everything.”

“M.. I’ll call you back. Please gather everything you can about why the President was searching for them and look up the floor plans of the Institute. Better prepare your hacker skills man. We need you.” Ren said.

“Always. Call me.” Mike said and hanged up.

“He’s already looking for them.” Julie said looking at us with fear shining in her eyes. “That was fast.”

“He must have provoked Flo.” Aiden said. “He wanted more insurance that she won’t leave.”

“Well that answers your question Umin. You can’t go home now.” Ren said looking at us with an almost sorry expression. “Uncle. Send some details to their homes. Have them watch their houses and assist when needed but if there is no danger stay out of sight.

“I’m sorry guys.” Aiden said looking sadly. “I think I now know why Flo was willing to disown you. It will be really dangerous for you.”

“Aiden-Oppa that is why whatever you’re planning we need to succeed.” Minny said in a firm voice. “I can’t think that I can go on with my life when I know that Flo is somewhere out there suffering because of me, not when I can do something to help.”

Everyone nods in agreement with faces set in determination.

“Are you sure you’re Minny?” Ren asked with an weak smile. “I thought you were a cry baby?”

“Your sister was very influential Oppa.” Minny answered with a smile too.

“Alright. All of you stay here. We’ll just process everything that’s needed. With some luck we can go early tomorrow morning.” Ren said and picked up his phone. “Uncle, J, A you guys know what to do.”

The three adults nod and left to do their task. Ren looked at us again.

“First I would like to apologize for my behavior awhile ago. If I came off as blaming you guys I’m sorry. I don’t blame you. I sort of blame myself, if we only fetched her at the resort instead of waiting for you guys to arrive in Seoul.. but that would also cause even more complications.”

“We know Hyung.” I said.

“I also want you guys to know that this is a serious situation. Wherever we are going I want all of you to listen to everything I say. Do everything I say. When I say run, run and don’t look back. I promise all of you that I will use everything in my power to keep all of you safe and get Flo. But you need to follow everything I say. Understand?” Ren said a very serious voice.

We all nod.

“Good. Go through your luggage and bring only the essentials. Whatever lacking we can buy it at London. Limit it to a hand carry only. I want all of you to change into something casual. Something not standout and you can move comfortably.” Ren said.

We all nod again.

“Alright. Everyone rest for now. Eat and sleep. All of you know the way around the house. You can sleep anywhere. Min Flo’s room is open.” Ren said when he said his sister’s name a flicker of sadness passed his eyes. “I need to go. See you later.”

We all nod in silence as Ren goes out of the room.

We all look at each other.

“Someone wake me up. This is a crazy dream.” Chanyeol said.

“Want me to punch you Yeolie?” I asked him.

“I would prefer that to this.” Chanyeol said and sighed, running his hands through his hair.

“Now what?” Sehun asked.

“We do what Ren hyung instructed. Eat. Pack. Rest.” I answered picking up the house phone. “Let’s just order out.”

I ordered some food and sat down on a vacant chair.

“Kris we’ll be fine right? Everything is going to be alright?” Suho asked me.

I looked at them and again I sent a loud question in my mind to Flo.

Why me Flo? Why do you believe in me too much? What makes you think that I can replace your lead here? Florence?

I wonder how she does these things. Reassure people. I don’t have much practice over these things.

“We have to be. The alternative is not a pretty thing to imagine.” I answered deciding to be honest with them.   I want to answer we’ll be fine but we won’t. We are forever changed guys. We can’t go on with our lives knowing that it was because of us that she gave up her freedom.... at least I can’t.”

“You think we can? Do you think we’re not grateful and burdened with what she did?” Baekhyun said heatedly.

“No. I’m just saying what’s inside my head. I don’t know what to say to you that will reassure you. I’m not Flo.” I said my voice rising. I felt a surge of energy run through my veins. I’m near the edge of my control.

“Please. Let’s not fight. We’re all stressed out, worried and tired.” Minny said in a tired voice. “Guys I know all of you are afraid. Honestly I want to just go numb right now, it’s okay to be afraid..”

“I’m scared right now.. what if we don’t come back?” Lay said.

“We will come back.” Minny said in a firm tone. She’s better in this then me. “With Flo in tow. We have too. I won’t think about the alternative. So let’s eat and rest like Kris said.”

“Minny’s right. We’ll be fine.” Luhan said giving his girlfriend a proud smile.

After that everyone got absorbed in their thoughts. I left them to go to my room to change and pack as instructed. Jeans, T-shirt, durable running shoes and a coat. From what I’ve heard from Flo the Institute is in a cold place in Europe..  somewhere in London. So it must be a bit cold. I’ll tell the others they need to pack coats.

I looked out the window and the moonlight made the bracelet Flo gave me glimmer. I took it off and watch it shine in the moonlight.

Flo. Are you okay there? That’s a stupid question of course you’re not okay. You must be scared. You must be numb in your mind with fear.

I’ll find you. I swear I’ll find you.

Abruptly I realize that I had an answer to a question I have been asking myself since forever.

Why do I have powers?

To rescue her.

+++

We left for London in a chartered plane owned by the Principal of our school. It seems that it was not only Flo who had a hidden identity. I wonder who this man is. I wonder who all the adults are. We suddenly have visas and passports. Everything was taken care of. Butter, Flo’s puppy was left to Rob for safe keeping.

Principal decided to stay in Korea so someone can manage everything there. The security of the families we left and everything else.

We all got inside the plane sluggishly. Everyone didn’t get much sleep last night or in the morning. It was now late afternoon. A day has passed since Flo was taken. What had they done to her?

The chartered plane was spacious and amazing. If it wasn’t some dangerous mission everyone would have enjoyed but this is a dangerous mission. Somewhere above the clouds I fell asleep.When I opened my eyes we were in Dubai, a stopover for fuel. I closed my eyes again and dreamed.

It was a strange dream.. it felt more like a memory. I was in the woods and was watching a bunch of boys circle two girls. The smaller girl with caramel hair shoved the girl with black hair behind her back and looked at boys with a defiant and steely expression. The girl with black hair was crying softly, then suddenly the girl with caramel hair moved fast and one of the boys was down on the ground. Then another one. She shouted for the black haired girl to run and the girl did. She was distracted so she didn’t see the baseball bat coming. It hit her squarely on the shoulder and anot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter