A Walk in the Park

My Best Friend's Boyfriend is a Werewolf
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

FLO POV

“Okay Flo let me hear it.” Luhan said when we were all settled in the game room which still housed the hologram that I fixed for Aiden. It was much easier to explain using it.

“Everyone comfortable? Lights off Brad.” I said to my computer. The lights immediately went off and the glow of the hologram was the only thing the shed light.

“Flo you sure about this?” Aiden asked softly. “I can explain it if you want.”

“No. I’m fine.” I answered tuning my voice to hide the anxiety I was feeling. I had been repressing everything-Luhan collapsing, the darn clinic that still gives me shivers-everything was kept in a tight lid inside me.

I took a deep breath and touched the hologram. It glowed brighter and grew larger. “I might lapse into scientific jargon so please interrupt me if I do so. I’ll try explaining it in the simplest terms.”

They all nod and listened attentively.

“Since we all know the basic body parts I won’t go there. I’ll first show you the normal cell make up of a normal human being. Then the DNA of a normal human being” I said and the right picture appears. “This is what our cell and DNA looks like when examined under powerful machines.” I clicked another picture. “This one is Luhan’s cell and DNA and Kris. Anyone noticed the difference?” I asked putting the pictures beside each other.

“Luhan and Kris are different. It looks like they have some additions.” Suho answered pointing out the difference. “Like that sphere in Kris cell.”

“Correct. So I was right when I said you were enhanced special human beings. These additions gave you all your powers- for lack of a better term- enhanced senses, powerful strength and fast speed. I think whoever did this had a sense of humor too since you were also enhanced in the looks department. I don’t know why you were called werewolf since most predatory animals have your powers. It must be because your powers were based on one of most elusive predators- the wolves.”

“But Kris and Luhan blood also looks different from each other though.” Sehun said pointing. “Why?”

“Exactly. I was puzzled at first that’s why I asked Minny to recount what exactly happened when Luhan changed. You were all there right? It had nothing to do with Minny’s tears although that would have sounded romantic and cool I think it involved more body functions.  Our bodies have chemicals that are secreted in response to certain emotions. Luhan what were you feeling when you felt that you’ve change?”

“I felt strange. The only thing that was in my head was I wanted to show Minny that I’m not a monster who harms people so I stopped attacking those boys holding her. I wanted to show her that there’s nothing to be afraid of.” Luhan answered.

“And that was the time you realized you love her, am I right?” I asked.

“Yes. That was the time.” Luhan said pulling Minny close.

“You see guys when people are in love our body responses also. You feel better, brighter. That’s the body releasing its special chemicals. I think whoever made Luhan never anticipated him to fall in love. So that is why Luhan is now different from Kris.” I said pointing to the picture.

“So I haven’t fallen in love yet.” Kris said amused. His eyes glimmering its strange reddish glow as he looked at me. I felt my heart stutter at the meaning in those eyes.

“Yes you haven’t fallen in love yet.” I said choosing to not to read between the lines and smiled at him. “If I had met Luhan before he met Minny then maybe you two will still be the same but now you two are different.”

“Elaborate.” Kris said.

“When Luhan fell in love it released those chemicals that reacted with whatever was given to you to give you your powers. Luhan said his mark disappeared, his hair changed color, his powers decreased. We thought he was now normal, but he was not. He just changed. His body now produces extra chemicals that are reacting to the Wolf-Virus, that’s the nickname we came up with, and it’s again causing changes in his body. This was the first sample Ren had taken from you before he left and this is the most recent one which I took last December. The blood samples for today are not yet ready but you all can see the changes right?” I said as I pointed out the pictures.

“What’s happening to me them?” Luhan asked.

“Your cells are morphing, mutating. The wolf-Virus is not reacting nicely to the hormones your body is now releasing.” I answered.

“Meaning?” Luhan asked.

I took a deep breath before answering him.

“Your body is destabilizing.” I answered.

“What does that mean?” Minny asked.

“The wolf-Virus, which is this.” I said pointing to a spherical shape, Suho had pointed out earlier, in the picture. “Is destroying him. It is like attacking his body from within. His anti-bodies are helping him now but they are slowly losing. Whenever he feels heighten emotions it reacts even more violently. It’s making his body unstable and the body collapses until it can regain balance again.”

“Is it bad Flo?” Luhan asked.

“I’m going to be honest with you Luhan.” I said sighing.

“Go ahead.” He said.

“If we don’t find the antidote for this. If we can’t find something that will stop the wolf virus from attacking you. In order for you to return your body back to its truly balanced state, the state which is called homeostasis, the next time you collapse maybe you… won’t wake up anymore.” I said the last part softly.

“No!” Minny screamed and clutched me. “No that can’t be true Flo. Luhan is just fine! He’ll get better. He’s already fine now.” She said shaking me hard.

“Min.” I gently pulled her into my arms to hug her. She started crying hard again. “I’m sorry Minny.”

“Please Flo do something.” Minny begged.

“I’m doing everything I can Min.” I answered wiping her tears. “Shush. Please stop crying.”

“Why him? Why?” Minny cried.

“Believe me I want that answer too.” I said sighing. “that was the bad news.”

“You have good news?” Kris asked.

“Partly. Aiden and I manage to make a serum which will enhance your Anti-bodies Luhan. It will help counter the wolf-Virus but it’s only a temporary solution. I still need to find the right formula and ingredients to make the antidote.” I said as I help Minny back to her seat besides Luhan.

“Well that’s better than nothing right?” Luhan said warping an arm around Minny to comfort her.

“You need to inject it every day.” I said turning off the hologram. “Lights on Brad.”

The lights instantly went on.

“Who will inject it to me? Can we do it at school?” Luhan asked.

“Nope. They’ll think I’m injecting you with drugs.” I said and stand. “Which brings us to my proposition.”

“Which is?” Luhan asked.

“You and Kris move here. The house is big enough so you can still have individual rooms and I can watch over you if ever anything happens.” I said.

“Flo won’t that be too much?” Luhan asked frowning.

“Nope. Ren and Aiden also agree.” I said.

“Flo’s right Luhan. You’re better off here with us then alone at your house.” Ren said.

“Which makes me wonder how you got that house and the money you need to support yourselves.” Aiden said.

“I don’t know.. actually it’s strange it was just ingrained in our minds that that house is ours. The pass words for the band accounts were also like built in knowledge.” Kris answered. “Nobody seemed to question it anyway.”

“We’ll solve that mystery when we have time.” I said. “So you guys will move here?”

“I don’t want to impose on you Flo.” Luhan said.

“Nonsense. I welcome the company. You don’t know how fed up I am with the two grownups.” I said grinning.

“Hey!” Aiden complained.

“Well?” I asked looking at Luhan.

“Kris?” He asked.

“Why would I say no? This house is way better than our apartment.” Kris said grinning. “And I get to eat Flo’s cooking every day. So it’s a yes for me.”

“Okay. You guys can get your things tomorrow. For now, I’m hungry.” I said.

“Why don’t we just order out love? You’re tried.” Aiden said.

“Okay. No problem.” I said. “Order what you like. I’m going to change.”

I was still wearing my uniform since we went directly to the game room when we arrived. I walk to my bedroom with butter following me. I picked him up to pet him. He was already getting big.

I changed into some shorts and a long sleeved sweater and returned to find them still in the game room.

“Guys everything will be okay. If there is anyone who can find that antidote it will be Flo.” Aiden said to my friends. “Heck we didn’t know she had created that serum for your antibodies Luhan. She just made it on her own and I helped in the last part. She managed to do it on top of everything.”

“Can you inject her some of it too she looks even more tired than me.” Luhan said.

“I know but Flo has gone through worst and I can’t stop her if she wants to work.” Ren said. “My sister is as stubborn as our mother.”

“It’ll be okay guys. Just don’t excite Luhan too much these upcoming days. Just relax and chill for you wolfy.” Aiden said.

I leaned on the doorframe watching them. The only ones missing were Mom, Dad, Uncle and Julie, this room holds the most precious things to me and I will do anything to protect them.

“I hope Flo can do it in time.” Minny said clutching Luhan.

“She will Min.” Aiden said.

“You guys believe in me too much.” I said from the doorway. “Should I feel pressured?”

They all look up at me and smiled.

“Of course you should feel pressured love. “ Aiden said. “That’s what drives you anyway.”

“hmm.. point taken.” I said and entered the room and sat beside Minny who was still sniffling. “You haven’t stopped crying yet Min?”

“I can’t” Minny answered hugging me.

“It’s okay. Cry your heart out. It does good to vent your feelings’” I said patting her back.

“Can you do it Flo?” Minny asked me.

“I will use everything I have to do so Min.” I answered smiling at her reassuringly. Butter jumped on her lap and her hand gently. “See even Butter is comforting you. It’ll be fine.”

“I hope so.” Minny answered lifelessly.

“hmm.. what can I do to cheer you up now?” I mused. A bright idea formed in my head. Light bulb moment. “What day is today?”

Suho answered the right date.

“Perfect. There’s a meteoroid shower later. You always wanted to see one right?” I asked Minny.

“I didn’t bring my telescope.” Minny answered.

“I have one.” Ren said. “So stop crying Min-shu. We’ll do everything we can to help Luhan.”

“Thank you guys.” Minny said.

“Anything for you Eonni.”I said ginning.

Ooo00ooO

Kai POV

After dinner which consisted of many dishes from different countries, Flo let Kris and Luhan choose rooms on the third floor. The Khan residence is quite big that there were sealed rooms that were not used. Flo said that a cleaning crew will come tomorrow to air out and clean the two rooms that Kris and Luhan had chosen.

Ren and Aiden’s rooms were on the second floor and Flo has the first floor for herself.

Honestly speaking I was envious of Luhan and Kris. I know it was all for the wrong reasons but I wanted to move in with Flo too. I’m envious of Kris who will get to spend his 24 hours with Florence. I hope those two won’t get too close with each other. A flash of wild anger passed through me as my mind imagine different scenarios involving the two. No. I should stop before I go crazy.

We we’re now at the game room milling around. Flo was at the lab doing something. Aiden and Ren were dancing to the kinetic making Minny laugh. I’m glad she had stopped crying now. I just don’t like seeing her cry. All of us had thrown in everything we had to make Minny stop crying. She was just so worried about Luhan that it became priority number one tonight to ease her worries.

I wonder how Flo is doing? She must also be worried sick but she doesn’t like to show her feelings. I hope she’s okay at the lab.

Butter yapped at me and I picked him up. He had grown bigger and fatter since I last saw him. I should remind Flo to exercise her dog when she has time.

We climbed to the roof top around midnight and true enough there was a meteor shower. It was faint but when you looked at it under the telescope it was amazing to watch. Minny has always been interested in stars and seeing the meteor shower picked up her mood.  She was smiling, happily pointing the constellations to Luhan.

Flo was behind us sipping coffee and watching also. She had a small smile on her face watching Minny laugh. I walked to her side.

“Beautiful isn’t it?” She asked when I reached her side.

“Yes it is.” I answered, not meaning the meteor shower.

“Well that certainly made Minny happy. I wish there was always a meteor shower to cheer her up.” She said smiling fondly at Minny.

“How about you? What will cheer you up?” I asked her.

“Mine is simpler.” Flo said smiling.

“Really.. let me guess does it involved this?” I ask holding out a box of her favorite panda chocolates.

“ohh.. why didn’t you give this to me earlier.” She said grabbing the box a childish smile on her face. I took the cup of coffee from her hands before she burns herself. “Thank you Oppa.”

“Yeah your joys are simpler.” I said watching her open the box and eat the chocolates.

“Want some?” she asked smiling.

“Nah. Finish that up.” I said. I restrained myself from pulling her close since I felt Ren was watching us.

It was around 1 that we all settled down to go to sleep. Us boys were using one guest room since the two rooms upstairs were still dusty. Minny was of course bunking in with Flo. We blocked the entrance to the Lab forcing Flo to retire early even for just tonight.

“Night guys.” She said pouting as she closed the door to her bedroom.

Minutes after my head hit the pillow I was already dreaming.. of stars and her.

+++

I woke up around 5 in the morning thirsty so I got up and padded to the kitchen for a glass of water. I expected no one to be awake yet but Flo was already there rummaging around.

“Why are you awake so early?” I ask.

“Oh Oppa. You’re awake. I just woke up early and can’t go back to sleep so I decided to take Butter for a walk.” She said pouring coffee in her cup. Butter was already around her feet barking excitedly.

“Wait for me. I’ll come along.” I said taking the glass of water and chugging it fast.

“You should go back to sleep.” She said.

“I don’t like thinking of you going out alone.” I said. “Wait for me okay?”

“Fine.” She said rolling her eyes at me.

I ran back to the room to get my jacket and scarf, although it was spring it was still a bit chilly in the morning. I went back to find Flo putting shoes on Butter. That dog is one lucky canine.

“Come one baby so you won’t get cold.” She said slipping on a sweater on Butter. “Aren’t you adorable.” She adds and kisses the dog’s nose. Lucky pup. She looks up to see me watching. “Ready oppa?”

“Yeah. Let’s go.” I said.

The two of us walked out of the house quietly after Flo left a note for her brother that she went out to walk butter. She also instructed Brad to say it when Ren doesn’t find the note.

“Where should we go?” I ask her as we walked down a path.

“There’s a small park a few blocks from here.” She said warping her scarf more tightly. “Unless you want to go somewhere else?”

“The park sounds great.” I said taking Butter’s leash from her.

Her hand brushes mine and I gently grabbed it. My warm fingers slipping through her cold ones. She didn’t object but just smiles at me softly.

The morning sun was already peeking out making her hair shine in its glow. Butter was happily walking ahead of us sniffing here and there and barking at us to hurry up.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter