A Promise to Run

My Best Friend's Boyfriend is a Werewolf
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Please find a seat.”The Principal said to the students following him.

The 13 students filed into the room. Luhan pulled a chair for Minny and stood behind her.

“Get some chairs from that room.” Principal said and some of the boys went to do so.  “Everyone settled?” he asked the students.

“Yes sir.” Suho answered.

“Now.. what do you know about my goddaughter?” Principal asked them without any preamble.

The students inside looked at each other waiting for someone to say anything.

“We know everything sir.” Suho said after a moment.

“I see. Did she tell you?” Principal asked.

“Yes sir. Ren knows that we know too.” Suho answered. He had taken the position of spokesperson.

“I see.” Principal said and folded his hands on the desk. “She must have told you for a reason. I will not force you to tell me. Florence always knows what she is doing. You know about her so you know the gravity of what she is hiding from.”

“Yes sir.” Suho answered.

“Those people after her are serious. Telling you about her she went against the rules lay down by her parents. Only a few people should know about her and there are 13 of you.” Principal said.

“We will never spill her identity to anyone sir.” Minny said in a determined voice.

“She trusts you for a reason, whatever that maybe. I just want to tell you how dangerous those men after her are. You might think you can defend her but they have guns and they are ruthless. Actually Florence is trained to defend herself, what I worry about is when they see her with any of you and realize that all of you are important to her they can just pluck one of you and I know my goddaughter will come without a fight.” Principal said to them seriously.

“We have to hide her more than principal.”Beakhyun said.

“Yes. Actually having you around her is good. Florence tends to stick out since she likes to be alone but now she moves in a group it’s easier to hide her.” Principal answered. “I have promised her parents that I will do my best to hide their daughter and give her the most normal life she can have. I will use everything in my power to do that.”

They all nod agreeing with the principal.

“I don’t actually know what it is inside the institute that her parents don’t want her to go there and what Florence is so frighten of. The one time I visited that place it looked so modern and innocent but I can sense something creepy and evil inside. I don’t what exactly it is but I know in my gut that the Institute is not what it appears to be. I only saw the façade they had and I don’t want to go back I can only imagine what Florence saw.” Principal said.

“She is scared to go back there.” Minny said.

“Yes she is but what I’m surprised is what she said to me just a while ago.” Principal said.

“What was it sir?” Suho asked.

“She didn’t want to go back.” Principal said.

“Of course she doesn’t want to go back there sir. We all saw how hysterical she was” Kai said.

“I see Florence didn’t say what we had always feared she’d do.” Principal said. “You see after what happened at her at the institute and she started to hide, she was always scared of those men finding her. Scared senseless but we, her parents and I, have always sensed that she was resigned to her fate. She knew she was going to come there and she wanted to fight but she also knew she had no escape. We always insisted into her that she didn’t belong there, she belong somewhere else, anywhere but the institute. But Florence just nods and looks sad and scared but also resigned.” Principal said and stopped for a moment.

“That was the first time she actually objected going to the institute, actually voicing out that she didn’t want to go. Hearing those words from her made me want to rejoice. She wanted to fight her fate. I think she has finally found a reason to stay, to fight.” Principal said eyeing the 13 students in front of him. The 13 who had given Flo so much they just didn’t realize it.

“I’m not here to judge you or to ask you to stay away from her. Actually I’m here to thank you and ask you to continue being with her. Florence is finally smiling, laughing, acting like her age. We have always dreamed that for her and she is now doing it. How I wish her parents can see her now.”

“I’m just telling you how serious this all is. This is not a movie, a book or a game; this is Florence life we’re talking about. Some agents from the institute came to school yesterday and they maybe only two but those agents are top of the line killers, they will kill in cold bold not thinking about who they are killing as long as they get their job done-to get Florence.” Principal said.

“No wonder Florence was scared.” Sehun said.

“Yes. I rarely see Flo scared so much that she goes back to her catatonic state.” Principal said.

“Was that what she was doing awhile ago?” Minny asked.

“Actually catatonia is not the right term but we can’t find any other term that describes what happens when she is scared. Her parents said that was what she looked when she came back from one of the Institutes tours. It was a week later when she became normal again, but during that week when she was in her catatonic state she was like a zombie. She moved but we can’t talk to her and when she’s in that state her genius brain really gets a workout. Normal she’s already above average but when she’s in catatonia she just plain brilliant. She can do experiments and inventions in a much faster rate, but when she surfaces she collapses out of sheer exhaustion. That was why Aiden, Julie and I were so worried about her yesterday.” The principal stopped and looked directly at Kai. “We had fully expected her to go into catatonia when she saw those two agents but she didn’t.”

“Actually she did sir.” Kai said softly.

“She did?”Principal asked surprised.

“Yes. I didn’t notice how long but she did. If her catatonia state involves her going silent, eyes dull and generally like a zombie, yes she did that yesterday.” Kai said.

“But when we went to you two, she was okay.”Principal said.

“I don’t know sir. She just came back.” Kai answered.

“Hmmm.. interesting.” Principal said looking at Kai intently. Kai looked at the ground.

A few minutes of silence passed with everyone deep in their thoughts.

“Sir, Florence left the clinic.” Principal’s secretary said through the intercom.

“Thank you Janet.” Principal said and lifted his telephone. “Hello Susan? Is she awake? Yes I know she left. I understand. Don’t worry. Thank you. Good bye.” He returned the phone to its holder.

“Where did she go too sir?” Minny asked worried.

“She just left the clinic. I understand she doesn’t like it there. She’s just around campus. Go find her.” Principal said.

The students stand and prepared to leave.

“Everyone.” Principal said. They all look back at him. “Thank you and please don’t leave her abruptly if ever you have too. Tell her, don’t just disappear.”

“We will never leave her sir.” Kris said.

“Time will tell.” Principal said. “Now go. Florence needs you.”

Ooo00ooO

Flo POV

I went around school looking for them but I can’t find them. I walked back to the booth and it was near finished, just a few more polish here and there.

“Hey Class rep.” I called out to him.

“Flo! What are you doing here? You should rest. Are you okay?” class rep said walking towards me.

“I’m fine. It was just a gash.” I said.

“Are you sure? You fainted and the boys were screaming bloody murder, especially Kris. Minny was just frantic.” Class rep said stopping in front of me looking worried.

“I’m fine. It’s just this preparation for the fair is so stressful and I was also hungry that time.” I said.

“I’m sorry Flo. I was working you too hard.” Class rep said guiltily.

“Hey nobody forced me and it will be all worth it in the end when we win.” I said smiling at him. “have you seen my friends?” I asked him.

“Oh they were following the principal awhile ago.” Class rep said.

“Do you still need me here?” I ask him.

“Nah, we’re nearly done you should go home and rest I need you tomorrow.” Class rep said.

“Okay dokie. See you class rep.” I said and waved good bye to him and the rest of our classmates who was finishing the booth.

I avoided the booth of class A and went around the back. I needed some fresh air. There was a nice spot under a tree where the breeze blew gently. I sat down and stared at the sky.

Uncle was talking to them. He must be scolding them or interrogating them now. He will explain to them why I was so hysterical and they will finally know how dangerous it is to be with me.

 I must have freaked them out when I went hysterical awhile ago but I was just so scared. The white walls of the clinic matched the ones at the institute. It just made me scream when I realized I was alone but it was worst when I realized I was not at the institute and was still in Korea. Seeing them around me just made me realize I didn’t want to go back even more and how selfish I am to put them in danger because I don’t want them to be taken away from me.

I sighed and warp my arms around me. I was cold and hungry.

I wiped the tears that were falling from my eyes.

I hugged my knees and just buried my face in my arms.

I didn’t know how much time has passed but a coat fell on my shoulders.

“There you are.” Kai said kneeling in front of me. “What’s wrong? Does your head hurt?” he asked as he took out his phone and dialed a number. “I found her. We’re at the back near the cherry trees.” He said and ended the call. “You didn’t answer me. Does your head hurt?” he asked and reached for the bandage on my head.

“No. I feel much better now.” I answer.

“You sure?” he asked and move to sit beside me. “Your cold.” He said and pulled me close.

“I’m fine.” I said but a shiver went through me as the breeze blew.

“Right.” Kai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter