Chasing Cars

My Best Friend's Boyfriend is a Werewolf
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

FLO POV

The throbbing in my head woke up and I was momentarily confused as to where I was. Minny was beside me wrapping herself around me burrito style. The two of us were in a couch and then I remember the movie marathon last night.

I sigh loudly and that amplified the throb in my head.

“I need some Advil.” I murmured and tried to gently extract myself from Minny’s grasp but my best friend was clinging to me like bur. She gave a soft whimper when I shifted away.

I shook my head amusement and sadness mixing. I leaned and kissed her forehead softly. This girl is my sunshine, my life before her- before all of them actually but mostly her- was dull. Colorless, dull, boring. Yes I was running away and hiding from a mad man but it’s not as glamorous as it is put in the movies. I had to find my courage and fight off my nightmares to be with all of them again.

And now I’m going to leave them- again.

“This is crazy.” I mumbled.

“Well you’re crazy so that’s expected.” Kris sleepy husky voice responded.

I raised myself a fraction to look over Minny’s head and see Kris trying to get up and rubbing his eyes.

“What is the world coming too? You’re awake early.” I said grinning then grimaced.

“What’s wrong?” Kris asked seeing my face.

“Headache. Too much wine.” I answered lying back down since Minny tugged me back rather strongly.” And cold. Can you get the blanket off the floor?”

“Sure. Give me a moment.” Kris answered. I raised head again to see why he had difficulty waking up. Tao and Sehun were wrapped around him like boas on either side. He tired some Houdini moves but was unsuccessful and resorted to just shoving the two away then hastily scrambling away. His cranky morning face was hilarious and I couldn’t help but laugh- and it hurt.

“Serves you right for laughing at me.” Kris said picking up the blanket on the floor beside the couch and spreading it on top of Minny and me. “Want some Advil?”

“Yes please.” I answer. “Although I doubt I can take it with this constrictor wrapped around me.”

“Tough luck but I’ll get it just the same. You might be able to do some Houdini moves.” Kris answered disappearing from my sight but not before putting a pillow under my head. I smile in amusement at him and settled back into the back doing some breathing techniques to ease the throb in my head. Minny squirmed back into the crook of my neck and I had to stop myself from jerking away.

Kris came back after a few minutes with some Advil but like I said I can’t move, I can’t even raise my head anymore. Kris must have felt that I need the Advil very much since he prodded Luhan with his foot waking him up.

“What?” Luhan asked.

“Can you pull Minny away from Flo for a bit? She needs to drink some meds for her headache.” Kris answered.

“Sure.” Luhan said and then I saw his head loom above us. “Morning Flo.”

“Hey Lu. Help?” I asked half grinning half grimacing.

“Coming right up.” Luhan said and deftly placed his arms under Minny then pulled her away gently. Minny didn’t even protest but wrapped her arms around Luhan’s neck snuggling. Luhan smiled at her then winked at me. He walked away with Minny in his arms.

“Come on get up and drink.” Kris said helping me up. He handed me a glass of water and two Advil. I gulped it down and shagged into him. “You should stop drinking Flo. You’ll just get headaches.”

“But I like wine.” I mumble.

“I do too but I don’t drink it every day.” Kris answered shifting us more comfortably on the couch. “Your boyfriend is worried.”

“He ratted me out?” I asked with amusement as we watched the rest of our friends scattered at the floor of our make shift cinema.

“Like I said he was worried and that makes me worried too. Why were you drinking?” Kris asked as he started to my hair.

“I can’t sleep. Before I finally decided to go back sleeping was hard so it’s either wine, exhausting myself or sleeping pills.” I answer watching Kai sleep with DO and Chanyeol tangled with him. “And tonight it was for the occasion. I’m sorry if I worried you Wolf boy.”

“So will you stop drinking?” Kris asked.

“Unless it’s for special occasions, yes I will not drink anymore.” I answer.

“Good girl.” Kris answered kissing the top of my head. There was a pause and he sighed. “I’ll miss you Flo.”

“I’ll miss you too. I will miss all of you..this is one of the hardest things I had to do. But you do understand right? Why I need to do this?”

“Yes I do. You don’t handle guilt very well Flo. Might as well do it now so you can be free later on. You and Kai can get married and have little monsters.” Kris said twirling a strand of my hair. I detect no bitterness in his voice and only a slight twinge of sadness.

“Take note those little monsters will be your godchildren.” I answer grinning.

“Oh the joy I will have watching over them.” Kris answered sarcastically.

“Like the joy I will have watching over yours.”

Kris snorted and kissed the top of my head again.

“Let’s not get too excited for that. You still have a noble prize to win.” He said.

“You guys expect too much from me.” I answered with a snort of my own.

A few minutes later Sehun woke up and climbed up on the couch snuggling on my other side.

“Are you awake baby?” I ask as Sehun placed his head on my shoulder.

“Half. Why do you have to go? I’ll miss you Noona.” Sehun mumbled yawning.

“I’ll explain it to you when you’re fully awake.” I answered ruffling his hair.

“O-okay.” Sehun answered and falling asleep on my shoulder.

Baekhyun had woken up and had climbed on the couch to. He lay on top of Sehun and placed a pillow on top of my lap and laid his head there promptly falling asleep.

“Do I look like a bed now?” I asked amused as I stoked Baekhyun’s hair.

“Just taking advantage of the times that we will be able to do this.” Lay said leaning on my legs.

“Why are you guys making my girlfriend a pillow?” Kai asked sitting up.

“Sorry Kai it’s 11 against 1. You lose.” Chanyeol said sitting down next to Sehun on top of Beakhyun’s legs. The latter woke up grumbling and kicked his legs on top of Chanyeol.

“And you have been monopolizing Flo way too much.” Xiumin said sitting beside Lay.

“Hah! You guys will scatter once Minny wake up and finds no Flo besides her.” Kai said laughing and stood up. “Does your head hurt Flo? You drank a bit too much last night.”

“Already took some Advil now I’m hungry but as you can see I can’t move.” I answer grinning at him. “Morning Oppa.”

“Morning.” Kai answered going around to the back of the couch and kissed my forehead. “What time is it?”

“Around 9 in the morning” Kris answered.

“Where’s Suho?” Xiumin asked.

“Kitchen. I saw him making coffee.” Kris answered again. “Flo your parents said they have somewhere to go this morning.”

“Well what do you expect from the President of the Institute and Head Scientist? They’re always busy.” I answered. “Who’s helping Eomma with the food?”

“No one is.” Chen said appearing on the doorway with trays of coffee, tea and milk. “We just ordered breakfast. Too lazy to make it.”

“Tsk tsk. I foresee your always-take-out future without me.” I said.

“We still have DO and Chen.” Kai said plopping beside DO who rolled away from him.

“I’m not cooking for you lot. You guys are too demanding.” DO said rubbing his eyes.

“If DO is not in I’m not in too.” Chen said handing me a cup of coffee.

Suho walked in the room moments later with a plate of cookies.

“Hmm you raided my cookie jar Eomma.” I said as Sehun handed me a bite sized piece.

“Can’t resist the temptation.” Suho answered grinning.

I nibbled on the cookie that Kris was holding up. My hands were busy holding up coffee mug upright on Beakhyun’s head.

“Flo?! Where’s Flo?!” Minny demanded bolting up from her make shift bed. She looked around frantically.

“Jagiya calm down. Flo’s right there.” Luhan answered in a soothing tone. Minny glanced at him and faced the direction he was pointing at. Minny tear ups when she saw me sandwich on the couch.

“Flo!” She said loudly and ran towards me. All of them jumped away from the couch as Minny lunged at me hugging me tight. “I thought you already left!”

“I wouldn’t leave without saying goodbye Min.” I answered hugging her back. “Will you stop crying? It’s so early in the morning.”

“You should have known by now that my tear ducts have a mind of their own.” Minny answered sniffling.

“Flo when exactly are you leaving?” Xiumin asked.

“Sometime after graduation. Once the laboratory is finished we leave immediately, Aiden is meeting me there.” I answered Minny’s hair as she hugged me tighter.

“Aiden will be there?” Kai asked and I detected the insecurity in his voice. I twisted around to smile at him reassuringly.

“Aiden and I is the best team to manage the project and you don’t have to worry about anything Kai. Julie will be there too.. I’m playing match maker on my spare time.” I said grinning.

“Hey guys keep quiet; you’ll wake up panda boy.” Chanyeol said as Baekhyun sat on top of Tao holding an eyeliner pencil. The two were grinning like hyenas.

Safe to say that Tao was not a happy Panda when he woke up looking like a racoon. He chased Baekhyun around the house as the rest of us assembled at the table for brunch.

“Come on kids let’s eat.” Kris said catching Tao by the collar as he ran pass him.

“Hyung! I was about to catch Baekhyun!” Tao whined as Kris made him sit down.

I laugh as Baekhyun imitated Tao’s pout but stayed away at a safe distance.

“I’ll miss this.” I said.

“We’ll miss you too!” Minny said still hugging me. “I just can’t- why?”

“I know that you know why I have to leave.” I answered.

Minny didn’t answer me but just hugged me tight. Kai placed an arm on the back of my chair kissing my temple.

“Min you really should stop crying.” Kai said to her.

“Can’t.” Minny answered sniffling.

“Min you still have to make me my Facebook, Skype, twitter and whatever SNS accounts I need to have. Your tablets will be here later.” I said Minny’s hair.

“Where’s your tab?” Minny asked as she shifted away from me. “Hand me Flo’s tablet. Now please.”

My tablet appeared a few seconds later with streaks of kimchi on it.

“Eww guys, you eat like slobs.” Minny complained as Luhan hands her some tissues.

“Yet you still love us.” Chen said in a sing song voice.

I chuckle as they started to serenade Minny with some one direction songs. Kai scoots close to me and wraps an arm on my waist.

“Not hungry?” he asked.

“Not yet.” I answer leaning into him.

“Does your head still hurt?”

“Nope.”

Kai places a kiss on the back of my head. I sigh and watch my friends- my second family goof around the kitchen. I wanted to memorize the scene. To imbed it in my mind. To always remember their smiles and warmth.

“You guys won’t forget me right?” I blurted out.

Everyone stopped whatever they were doing and stared at me.

“Here we go again.” Kai said rolling his eyes and moving away.

“What the blazes are you talking about?!” Kris demanded in English.

“This girl here thinks that once she leaves we’ll forget her. Move on while she’s gone.” Kai said.

“Why the bloody heck would we do that?!” Sehun demanded in English.

“Are you crazy!!?!” Lay asked also in English and he looked offended.

“I just- just thought that.. You know. I won’t be here anymore. I won’t see you guys anymore. You’ll forget me and move on while I’m stuck in some place...”I said and looked down at my hands. “I’m sorry. I don’t know what to do. I have always left places without looking back since I have nothing to look back at... Not like now. I’m scared.”

Someone hands closed over mine. I look up to see all of them around me. Xiumin was the one holding my hand. I stared into his warm brown eyes and felt the tears on my cheeks.

“Forgive us if we made you think like that. Flo we will never forget you. How can we forget family? No we can’t. You might be far away, we might not see each other for a long time but friendship is not based on those physical things. It’s based on the bond we have in our hearts. That bond won’t disappear even if you go to the moon. So please Flo don’t ever think that we will forget you.” Xiumin said in reassuring and yet firm tone. “I don’t know what gave you that idea but throw that away. We’re friends for life Flo. You’re stuck with us.”

I sniffed and smiled through my tears.

“Sheeze. You cry to much these days. Where’s our slave driver Flo??” Luhan asked with a grin as he wiped away the tears on my face. “Did Minny and you exchanged bodies cause that would be very weird.”

Minny smacked Luhan’s arm with a roll of her eyes while I sniffed.

“Flo if ever you get that notion of us forgetting you please do remember we went all the way to London to get you. Some of us even got shot trying to protect you, if that is not testament enough then what is? This friendship is stuff of legends. One that is very hard to find and we are not just throwing it away just because one of us is leaving.” Suho said patting my head. “So don’t you dare say that we will move on and forget you cause we won’t okay?”

“Okay Eomma.” I answered.

“And why would we forget someone who is bound for greatness?? I would like to boast in the future that Florence Khan is my best friend. Hah!” Chanyeol said grinning.

I roll my eyes at Chanyeol and Baekhyun who waved around loftily declaring that ‘yes yes we’re Florence Khan’s friends’.

“Group hug!!” Tao said already hugging me.

I laughed as I was enveloped in their warmth, oh how I will do anything for this crazy bunch of people. I am so darn lucky to have found them in the first place. They broke the hug a few moments later when Minny demanded air.

“Come on guys. This is the perfect time for a group picture!” Chan said waving a professional camera. He and DO hastily made a tripod out of my cook books and placed the camera there. Chen had a long cord that allowed him to press the shutter even though the camera was far away. DO and he made their way back towards us.

“Smile!!” DO orders with a smile.

The camera flashed and the moment was solidified in film. My brows rose in amusement as Chen pulls out a portable photo printer and the printed the shot.

“This is perfect.” Chen said flapping the picture to dry it. “Now where’s the album?”

“What album?” I ask but got my answer instantly as Suho produced a blue and gold album which after they opened it was in fact a scrap book. “What is that for?”

“It’s for you.” Baekhyun said as they handed it to me. “We all chipped in for it and these too.

Along with the scrap book, was another box. I eyed it warily and opened it expecting a jack in the box but found a scarf and a jacket inside instead.

“The scrap book is to make you smile and not to forget us when you become famous.” Chanyeol said while I rolled my eyes at them.

“The jacket and scarf is to keep you warm since Kai won’t be there. Ayeee!” Chen said laughing.

I felt my cheeks grow warm as they continued teasing me. Kai laughed and kissed the top of my head.

“Don’t worry about it too much okay? We’ll still talk every day. What’s the use of those tablets and computers.” Kai said wrapping his arms around me from behind.

“You guys just have to remember not to contact me through any other device other than that.”  I answered leaning back into his warmth. “ I’ll fiddle around with the security fields there when I get there where it is there will be.”

“Sure just don’t do anything that will involve us running away from goons with guns again. Once is enough for me.” Suho said shuddering. “ But if you need rescuing you know our numbers.”

“ Sure Suho. I’ll keep that in mind.” I answered chuckling. I pull out the jacket and shrug it on. Prefect fit which I think was courtesy of Kris’s fashion eye. The fashion guru picked up the scarf and wrapped it around my neck with a grin. “ Do I look good Oppa?” I ask with a shrill voice.

Kris laughed and flicked my forehead. He then pulls out a box.

“Here brain girl. For the one that psycho man threw away.” Kris said handing me the box.

“ Thanks!” I said opening the box. Inside was the same beautiful weave blue bracelet he had given me at my birthday but now there was a small wolf charm dangling with it. “ Help me put it on Wolf boy.”

Kris did as asked and I smile as I raise my arm.

“My collection is complete!” I said grinning at the bracelets. I pull the scrap book towards me and opened it to be greeted with our picture from the school fair. I thumb through the book as they resumed eating. I was amazed at the amount of pictures that was there and the handwritten descriptions were hilarious. The notes in the end made me teary eyed again.

“Friends forever.” Minny said hugging me.

“And ever.” I answered grinning.

+++

After the perfect day yesterday today seemed surreal. I had gone back to the apartment late last night and nowit was graduation day and once again I’m running late. I slipped into the dress Minny had picked up for me. It was a simple but beautiful baby doll blue and white dress the fell a few inches above my knee. The toga can cover still cover it. I slip on my boots and grab the black shoes that we were required to wear. I then grab my jacket, placed Butter in his designated play area leaving him enough food and water, and rush out of the door.

At least I had time to do my hair. I slip on the cap I took from Kai and drove to school in a speed Minny won’t approve off. My family said they’ll meet me there.

The school was packed auditorium and I struggled to find my class and my designated place in the line for the graduating class outside.

“Flo over here!” Minny said waving.

I ran over to where she was.

“Khan Florence! Just five minutes before we start! You need to improve your punctuality girl!” A teacher said to me and handed me a black toga.

“Sorry.” I muttered. “Thank you.” I add and bowed. She pivoted and attempted to arrange us all again.

“Over slept?” Minny asked me.

“No got distracted.” I answered taking off the coat and looking for somewhere I can put it and come back for it later.

“I’ll take that.” My brother’s voice came from behind me.

“Nii- chan!” I exclaimed hugging him.

“Congratulations Baby fluff.. again.” He said the last part softly but his eyes showed his amusement.

“Is mom and dad here?” I ask handing him the jacket. Kai helps me shrug on the toga over my dress.

“There over there somewhere. Dad’s beyond excited. He and uncle were planning an elaborate recording system.” Ren said chuckling.

“Oh no..” I said.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter