Chapter Thirty-four: Piecing The Puzzle

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyejoo woke up to an empty room, well save for Guruem circling around chasing his tail. She was amused to see the pupper circle around and eventually sit down on his bed. She was still sleepy from the shift the night before.

Soeun was already gone and she looked at the clock. It read 10:21AM. Stretching, she got up and went out of the room petting Guruem as she went. Leaving the door open, she found a covered plate with a note on top. It was from Soeun, she had cooked her breakfast before she left with Soojin.

“Hi unnie! Eat before you do anything. I didn’t wake you up because you were so tired. I already ate with Soojin, take care of yourself. Love you!” The note was signed by Soeun.

Hyejoo was touched by her sister’s gesture. Soeun was always mindful of Hyejoo’s welfare. Removing the cover on top of the plate revealed a couple strips of bacon, an egg and toast. Neatly done. Hyejoo knew that Soeun fried the bacon and eggs while Soojin toasted the bread. This was because the bacon was slightly charred the way Soeun likes them and the toast was lightly toasted giving a light golden brown color. She then ate the meal, thanking the two in her mind as she did so.

Chaewon was getting ready for the day. She was going to drop by Rosy after her morning classes since she was vacant the entire afternoon. Heading to school, she was thinking of how later’s events would turn out to be. Would they really be the missing children of Jinsol? Remembering how Jinsol pleaded with her clinging onto hope. She was almost kneeling down yesterday, the desperation clear in her eyes. A mother losing her children was the most painful things one could experience.

On the other side of the coin, she also wanted Hyejoo and Soeun to be the couple’s missing children. Whenever she or anyone in the clique talked about their families, there would always be a glimmer of envy in Hyejoo’s eyes. Soeun also showed those signs but Hyejoo’s was stronger since she had memories of her family before they were separated.

“Chaewon unnie!” She heard someone call her as she went up the gate.

Standing a few meters away from her was Soojin and the gang. Their kids were also there Jihyo was waving happily at her. Hastening her pace, she quickly joined the gang. Jihyo and Hyewon gave her a quick hug. The two were missing the past weeks because they were working on their term papers. Hyewon practically lived in Jihyo’s apartment during that time. Luckily, the paper was done and their schedules were back to normal. Chaewon returned the hug. Looking at their smiling faces, she finally felt she belonged in a group. Smiling back, Chaewon knew she would do anything for her friends.

They had walked to their respective classrooms and the day began. Chaewon hoped for the best.

Hyejoo ate some chips as she watched television. She’d take the noon shift later at Rosy, she needed the rest. Guruem rested on her lap as they both watched the show on screen. She was watching a drama about family troubles. Memories were triggered when it came to the scene where the antagonist locked the kid main character down in the cellar.

“Who ate the bread?! Tell me!” The cruel caretaker yelled at the kids, Hyejoo and Soeun were among them. They were about twelve that time and Soeun grew tall, taller than Hyejoo. This made hiding her difficult as Hyejoo couldn’t fully block her anymore.

“Was it you?!” The caretaker yelled at Soeun, grabbing her roughly by the neck. The girl yelped in pain and fear. Hyejoo clenched in fists. She was helpless. If she fought back, they would hurt Soeun more.

“In the cellar you go!” The caretaker yelled at Soeun’s face as she began to drag her towards the door.

“It was me! I ate it!” Hyejoo yelled, taking the blame for Soeun. Soeun had indeed ate the bread, she was growing fast and she needed the food. Hyejoo knew that Soeun was deathly afraid of the dark.

“You sniveling brat!” The caretaker yelled as she pushed Soeun away and strode to her. Slapping her hard on the cheek, causing her to tumble down. He then began to drag Hyejoo and kicked her down the stairs. Hyejoo tumbled around the steps causing wells of pain to shoot out from her body in pain. Collapsing down on the floor, she heard the door slam.

Hyejoo spent the night huddling close to her chest in a fetal position. She was afraid and in pain, but she was glad it was her and not Soeun. She then heard a faint tapping on the wall, scuttling close to it she listened. It was taps in sequence. Hyejoo had taught Soeun Morse Code in their previous orphanage that had a library. She believed that it would be useful for them in emergencies or in situations where they were not allowed to talk.

Soeun tapped a message saying that she was sorry about the trouble she got her unnie into. Hyejoo tapped back that it was okay and she needn’t worry. She bid her goodnight and I love you, worried a caretaker was walking by in their bunk areas.

This orphanage bunked the kids into a basement room. This room was beside the cellar where Hyejoo was in. This allowed them to communicate whenever one of them was in the cellar.

Guruem’s repeated snapped Hyejoo back to reality. Looking down on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter