Chapter Eighty-eight: A Past Life

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a normal day in Yongin and Haseul had just woken up from a deep slumber. Looking to her side, she saw Seon-jung sleeping. Rubbing his mousy hair, Haseul gently kissed his sleeping forehead.

Smiling, Haseul got up from the bed with a bit of difficulty. Moving had become a tiring and tedious task for Haseul nowadays. The baby bump was getting bigger by the day after all. Swinging upwards, her feet finally brushed the carpeted floor. Finally getting to her feet, she breathed out a silent breath of relief while stretching her back.

Moving silently, Haseul got out of the bedroom and went down the kitchen to prepare for breakfast.

About half an hour later, she heard the ruffle of familiar footsteps.

Turning around, she saw Seon-jung brushing the sleep from his eyes.

“Good morning love!” Haseul merrily greeted her husband.

Seon-jung merely mumbled a greeting in return before slumping down on one of the dining chairs. Haseul merely grinned and shook her head as she resumed cooking. Jagi woke up on the wrong side of the bed it seems, she thought.

“You’re growing fatter by the day hon.” Seon-jung commented.

“Oh…yes indeed. Little Soojin is growing fast.” Haseul replied with a tinge of embarrassment.

She had gone to the OB-Gyne the other day and she found out that the baby’s gender was a girl. Hence, she would be named Soojin as agreed upon by Haseul and Seon-jung.

“Yah Harvard-nim, where’s your husband? Shouldn’t he be here? It’s an important moment for you two.” Jungeun told Haseul as they left the doctor’s office. Haseul was busy looking at the results over and over again as she gushed with joy.

“Huh? Oh, Seon-jung is busy. He has a business trip last night, I think he won’t be back for five or so days?” Haseul said, shrugging her shoulders as they sat down to take a breather.

Jungeun merely shook her head in annoyance. She understood Haseul’s constant attempts at rationalizing her husband’s inconsistencies. Seon-jung was always absent during the important moments in Haseul’s pregnancy. In fact, it was Jinsol and her who accompanied Haseul to look for baby supplies the other week. The excited mother wanted to buy a set of supplies for a boy and a girl, but Jungeun told her to just wait for the baby’s gender.

“Why? I can buy both easily. I just want to be ready when the child comes.” Haseul said, shrugging as they left the store.

“Yeah I understand that. I promise, when we find out the gender, I will personally shop and decorate the baby’s room.” Jungeun said which convinced Haseul.

Back at the present, Haseul had finished cooking breakfast and was serving Seon-jung who ate with haste after receiving a phone call. By the time Haseul had her plate, her husband was already up and ready to go.

“Jagiya, couldn’t you wait a bit and sit beside me? I really missed you.” Haseul said with a tinge of sadness.

“No. I need to go, an important business meeting is due in two hours. My stupid secretary failed to inform me yesterday.” Seon-jung said before hastily getting out of the chair and jogging up into their bedroom to wash up and change.

Haseul ate breakfast with a heavy heart, resigned to the fate of being apart from her husband for perhaps the whole day.

As she finished, she cleaned up her and Seon-jung’s plates. Carrying them to the sink, Haseul had a hard time getting up from the chair. This caused the tray to tip over and send the plates crashing down to the floor.

“Aigoo…” Haseul muttered with annoyance as she tried to carefully bend down, mindful not to put too much pressure on her womb.

“Sajang-nim please step away!” A younger version of Min-yeong called out, alarmed and worried that Haseul might cut herself with the shards of the plate.

Haseul did as was told and apologized for the ruckus. Min-yeong waved her away and told her to sit down. She then got a broom and pan from the utility cabinet.

“Its alright sajang-nim. It’s what I’m here for.” Min-yeong said with a smile as she began to sweep the shards onto the dust pan.

“She’ll be Soojin.” Haseul said as she gently rubbed her womb.

Looking up from her sweeping, Min-yeong washed her hands and went to Haseul’s side. She was eager to meet the heiress. Tending to Soojin and catering to her needs will be one of her primary duties as her governess.

“Ohhh Soojin-ssi! I’m really excited to meet you. I just know you’ll be as beautiful as Haseul sajang-nim!” Min-yeong said as she gently placed a hand on the womb.

“Oh silly, I’m not pretty anymore Min-yeong ah.” Haseul said.

“Oh ma’am that’s clearly a lie! You’re easily one of the prettiest women I’ve ever met!” Min-yeong replied.

Smiling at the compliment, Haseul thanked Min-yeong as she stood up to resume her cleaning.

She was watching the soon-to-be governess when she heard an engine start and roar away, the sound getting fainter and fainter as it left the estate.

I guess Seon-jung left already. He hasn’t even said goodbye to us Soojin-ah. Haseul thought as a frown crawled to her lips.

Min-yeong finished cleaning and had disposed of the shards. Haseul asked her to accompany her to the music room. The young lass gamely helped her up and gently her to Haseul’s private music room. Inside was a selection of fine instruments ranging from a Steinway Grand Piano to a Messiah Stradivarius Violin. These were all instruments Haseul knew how to play by heart, having trained on them since her childhood.

Haseul sat down on the Steinway’s bench, being assisted by Min-yeong who stood beside her should she need anything. Trying to push Seon-jung out of her mind, Haseul began to play her favorite Mozart and Chopin pieces.

At a major expressway leading out of Seoul, Jinsol had just finished taking her early morning motorbike run as a familiar vehicle passed by her, careening down the highway.

“Huh? Isn’t that Seon-jung’s car?” Jinsol said to herself, referring to the black Pagani Huayra that sped past her.

But what caused her suspicions to rise was the woman sitting in the passenger seat.

That was not Haseul.

The woman had curly brunette hair and Haseul’s was long, straight, and black.

Electing to follow the vehicle, Jinsol called Jungeun using her helmet’s intercom system connected to her phone.

“Hey, Jungie baby. Do visit Haseul today okay? I’ll be running a little late.” Jinsol told Jungeun.

“Aish lady. I already let you ride that death machine of yours, do come home earlier! Let’s go to Harvard together.” Jungeun said with annoyance in her voice.

“Later Jungie. Haseul may need you. I just saw Seon-jung drive past me. There’s a woman in the passenger seat and I bet my black cards that the woman is not Haseul.” Jinsol replied.

Hearing this, Jungeun bolted upright from her office chair. She was already on her feet, grabbing her handbag. She had realized that Jinsol called Haseul by her name, a sign that something was indeed wrong and she had did that twice in their conversation.

“Go follow that punk. Do you need help? I can send a couple of guards.” Jungeun told Jinsol. Through the phone she could hear her wife’s motorcycle engine roar even louder. It worried her greatly not just for her wife but for her best friend.

“No. I’m good. He hasn’t seen me yet.” Jinsol replied.

Jungeun left the door and headed for her secretary.

“Cancel all my appointments today. Rebook them at a later date.” Jungeun told her secretary as she passed by, not even waiting for her reply.

Entering the elevator, she pressed the button for the basement parking lot. Jungeun told Jinsol to call later as the elevator doors shut. Dialling Haseul’s phone, she called her best friend.

“Hey Jungie! So, ready to go shopping for your goddaughter Soojin?” Haseul merrily chirped into the phone.

“Oh yeah! Come on! I’ll be there shortly okay?” Jungeun said.

Yeah, the shopping trip will be a good distraction for Haseul. I hope to the stars that Jinsol was just seeing things…oh my poor best friend. Jungeun thought as the elevator headed straight down to the basement. Jungeun’s car was already in front of the elevator bay, ready to bring her to wherever she needed to go to.

“Yongin. Haseul’s place. As fast as you can.” Jungeun curtly told her driver as she got inside the backseat.

Soojin huh…I hope and pray for a complete family for you little one. Jungeun thought to herself as she sat, her mind racing to think of ways how to break the news to Haseul if ever it was true.

Jinsol was still riding on the expressway, mindful to keep a healthy distance and hide behind other traffic so Seon-jung wouldn’t notice her. She was positive that this was Seon-jung’s car. There was only to Huayras that had the obsidian black paint-job and she owned the other one.

Placing a call to Dae-woo, she told him to follow her and bring a few men and to be discreet about it. After ending the call, she switched the bike’s GPS transponder on so Dae-woo and his men could find her easily.

After nearly an hour and a half, a discreet van pulled a couple of yards behind Jinsol. The helmet’s intercom system buzzed twice. Jinsol knew that this was Dae-woo connecting to her intercom’s radio.

A little more time after that, Jinsol realized that Seon-jung was just going around the city.

“I think he knows we’re following him.” Jinsol told Dae-woo.

“No ma’am, I think he’s shaking off his tail. Driving randomly so that possible witnesses could point out that he was going to another place. Its like he’s masking his scent.” Dae-woo replied.

This made sense, Jinsol thought. After all, if you’d do something stupid behind your wife’s back, you won’t go straight to the business. Instead you take precautions.

Dae-woo’s words rang true. The experienced warrior predicted Seon-jung’s ploy and they were soon following him into a hotel. It was one of the lesser-known 5-star hotels in South Korea, but it didn’t make it less luxurious than Signiel or the Hilton.

Jinsol circled the hotel and the van stayed by the underground parking lot’s entrance and exit. They weren’t sure if this was one of his schemes as well. Jinsol was familiar with the hotel and it only had one entry point in its underground garage. So if Seon-jung would come out, the van will surely see.

“Ma’am he hasn’t come out yet. Its been five minutes. Do we go inside?” Dae-woo inquired.

“Yes, have a couple of men stay outside in case he bolts. You and another guard will follow me inside, but keep your distance.” Jinsol told her chief of security.

Descending into the parking lot, Jinsol saw that the Huayra was still there. Shut down and the occupants gone. They were surely in the hotel, she thought as she headed for the elevator.

Please let me be wrong, please. Just this once let me be wrong about this. Jinsol pleaded over and over again as she waited for the elevator car.

“Hey this would suit Soojin!” Jungeun told Haseul as she showed a onesie with puppy prints on it.

Haseul thought the same and got the outfit, placing it into the third cart they had. The first one was being pushed by Min-yeong who was astounded by the amount of stuff her boss was buying. The second one was pushed by a bodyguard.

Min-yeong was shocked by the sheer amount of things Haseul was buying. It was her first time working as a governess and her employers were among the richest in all of South Korea. One cart had about eight dozen pairs of baby shoes, two dozen baby bottles, and the list goes on. The cart Jungeun was pushing had about four dozen outfits just for Soojin. It was color coordinated with the baby shoes that they had in the other cart, Jungeun would jog back and forth to check if the color of the clothes compliments the shoes. So this is how the extremely rich shop, Min-yeong thought.

Jungeun would glance at Haseul from time to time, she was absolutely glowing with happiness as she chose clothes for Soojin. But then the realizatio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter